advertisement

Pot Black

gintonic

50 shades of grey pussy cats
Anyone watching? Heating up quite nicely in Sheffield.

147 last night was amazing

Colour TV took all the mystique out of snooker and the dress sense of the modern game isn't a patch on the 70s era. Have they revived the brand?

Just needs the green now , for those watching in black and white it's the one behind the pink.
Whispering Ted Lowe!

Watching Pot Black in the early 70s is what started my love of the game, though my top break is 18 !!!

Amazing game with Robertson and Lisowski, edge of the seat stuff.

With O'Sullivan and Williams playing well too it bodes well for the final whoever gets there.

Andy

I had a CRT portable as main telly for years as it didn't get much use. After a decade, something was starting to give and a purple splodge developed in the top left hand corner and grew over the years. I was fine with it but partner, visiting parents etc were becoming increasingly frustrated. Anyway, snooker-wise, the white would start off white and gradually turn pink then purple the closer it got to top left of screen then white again as it moved toward the blue. The yellow, on its spot, was a sort of washed out pinkiness. I like to watch a frame or two but then start to realise again that once you've seen one you have, pretty much, seen them all.

Well we now have the 'Class of 92' and the young pretender in the semis. Lots to look forward to there.
I just begin to like Ronnie again when he does something a bit arrogant. This time it was complaining that the ref (Rob Spencer) was too slow replacing the colours.....and thus spoiling his rhythm.

I’ve been a life long fan of snooker, although always gravitated towards the more flamboyant and characters of the game, like Alex Higgins, Jimmy White and Ronnie O’Sullivan.

I would really love to see the Rocket win a 7th title, although he’ll have tough competition if he makes to the final and meets Trump. That guys long potting is unreal at times, it would be an amazing final though

I met and went out drinking with Anthony Hamilton a few times as he is a close friend of a friend. Nice guy and a good laugh. It’s a shame he doesn’t seem to feature and get to the World Championship anymore.
My friend was a semi-pro snooker player, was really good, but didn’t manage to make it to pro as he struggled to get sponsorship and his parents weren’t able to fund him - I don’t know if this side of the sport has improved, but he said how tough it is and how many don’t make it because of this

Jimmy White and Alan McManus were saying on Eurosport that any new professional should have their travel and accommodation paid for in the first year by the governing body. This would give them a chance to build up a bit of prize money to fund their second year.

Cheers BB

Last edited:
Never really a fan and as such haven't really watched since the 80s when I'd sit a while when my dad had it on. Turned the telly on this afternoon while I had a cuppa and got hooked on the Trump v Williams game...had to watch it through.
Not only some great potting but the positioning of the cue ball and tactics where pretty awesome too. As someone who can't hit a ball in any sport I'm full of admiration for these guys.
Pot black always makes my smile remembering the gran mother of a girl that I dated in the mid eighties who was glued to the program, sometimes until the early hours.

Higgins reminds me very much of Cliff Thorburn but unfortunately he just couldn’t dig deep enough today. I have to say I haven’t seen Ronnie as focused on his game for quite some time. I’m looking forward to the final tomorrow :)

Just needs the green now , for those watching in black and white it's the one behind the pink.
Or as Motty once said in the black and white tv days Tottenham are the team in yellow shirts... The World final final between the best player ever and the best player of his generation. Go on Ronaaay

advertisement

Back