advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Ezra Klein makes a persuasive case that the Democrats could pick a candidate at their convention:
I was skeptical, but he made a persuasive case, and he's a fan of Biden.

To paraphrase, he said that Biden's age is not a problem with regards his being president, but it IS a problem in regards to his campaigning to be president.

Disgraceful! But I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Here's a rather more positive view -

Considerable over-reach and not good news for the rule of law in the US, but not surprising.

This won’t help Trump in November. Rather like rolling back Roe v Wade, the effect on the (shrinking) base will be different to that for the electorate at large. It will also be interesting to see how the pivot from ‘victimhood’ to having the SC stick their thumbs on the scales of justice in his favour plays out.

Half of his appeal was thrown out, the double jeopardy from the Senate verdict. I doubt they will end up finding him immune, but obviously they are repaying their debts in the form of the delay so when he fails in November, they can’t be blamed. Pathetic, but that’s politically appointed judiciary for you.

US voters have apparently lost the plot completely:

Perhaps Maureen Dowd in the same NYT issue is right (I personally think she is):

Interesting-sounding book, arguing that US conservatives have always loved authoritarian figures as a bulwark for "traditional" values - and now they have the chance to have one of their very own:

Perhaps Maureen Dowd in the same NYT issue is right (I personally think she is):

Plenty of time for the polls to change.

SOME US voters have lost the plot. Specifically the MAGA right, and some on the left (who seem to think that an effective way to punish Biden for his mishandling of Israel is to pave the way for a second term for Trump). Similar foolishness as spouted by Lexiters prior to the Brexit vote.

The MAGA crowd are beyond hope - much like many Brexiters, who remain in denial to this day about the damage caused by their choice. The left could be won back, but I think Biden needs to seize control of the Israel situation. Make further Israeli aid contingent on either ousting Netanyahu or making military aid contingent on its not being used in Gaza (or more generally in populated areas). Biden has obviously started on the offensive regarding border control and immigration (rightly blaming the obstructionism of the GOP), but it's way beyond time for him to become far more assertive with the Israelis.

Trump’s assertion that all Republicans are now Maga is off to a good start…..

A small acorn for sure, but this is still a surprise. She wasn’t expected to win any. It further goes to the fact that Trump cannot expand his base and may influence some more. Of course, it won’t do her fund raising any harm either which is cash Donny boy will not get.

He is not getting the runaway wins outside of the cult and their number is not growing. It is significant.

In case anybody thinks that her election could be "a good thing" in any way, read this......

"Haley has acknowledged that climate change is caused by human activity, but has rejected policies to decrease greenhouse gas emissions. She has pledged, if elected, to again withdraw the U.S. from the Paris Agreement, revoke regulations restricting fossil fuel production and curtailing pollution from power plants and vehicles, and eliminate renewable energy subsidies."

"Haley has acknowledged that climate change is caused by human activity, but has rejected policies to decrease greenhouse gas emissions. She has pledged, if elected, to again withdraw the U.S. from the Paris Agreement, revoke regulations restricting fossil fuel production and curtailing pollution from power plants and vehicles, and eliminate renewable energy subsidies."
She would clearly be a good thing only compared to the alternative of Trump becoming president.

Peter Zeihan, a guy who even while asserting his predictions as near fact, at least bothers to also tell us why he thinks what he thinks, thinks Trump has basically no chance. Biden's winning election strategy would basically be to not die before the election.

I don't think Zeihan makes very good predictions about a lot of things, but I at least hope he is right about this one - that the people who matter; the independents in battleground states, will not vote for Trump.

About the bogus absolute presidental immunity case, if the supreme court rules for that argument, the US democracy is dead right then and there on the spot. If Biden is president, he gets the total immunity and could easily prevent Trump from ever becoming president. It's such an obviously stupid argument that the only reason the supreme court would take it up, would be to delay the other Trump trials.

The US could put a stop to Israel's actions any time it likes. Biden needs to be bolder here.
I’m beginning to think his recent utterings about a ceasefire being close are pure fantasy from a parallel universe he is currently living in.

In case anybody thinks that her election could be "a good thing" in any way, read this......

Nobody’s suggested she’s any good. Whatever air she sucks out of the orange one’s faltering campaign is certainly welcome.

advertisement

Back