advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

This book by a former SDNY attorney makes some striking accusations of DOJ corruption under T***p/Barr.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...offrey-berman-trump-interference-prosecutions

My only question is why he waited so long to make this information public. I hope he didn’t place book sales above the national good.
If you watch the Rachel Maddow interview with Geoffrey Berman she asks him about this and he makes clear that both professional ethics and case security dictated that he not speak of ongoing cases whether he was in office or no.

Berman also stated that he had all of the material that he put together for his book vetted by the post Trump DOJ before inclusion.

He certainly appears to be one of the good guys.

Last edited:
If you watch the Rachel Maddow interview with Geoffrey Berman she asks him about this and he makes clear that both professional ethics and case security dictated that he not speak of ongoing cases whether he was in office or no.

He was on with Joy Reid last night as well. Astonishing stuff.

It's hard to sift out the "good guys" from the authors "just trying to sell a book & recoup my reputation"
Agreed.

Google 'Geoffrey Berman' and you'll find that he is a card carrying Republican who appears to have managed to mostly keep his political leanings out of his roles within the DOJ via the SDNY.

Regardless, writing a book and having it published seems a good way for one to get their story out, that is, provided this is accompanied by a strong sales push.

P.S. Wasn't it The Lincoln Project who used 'Democracy dies in silence' as tag line? There appears to be a lot of things we wouldn't have known of were it not for the book sellers.

If they played along enough to earn a place on Trump's team, they were never "good guys". That doesn't mean they can't be credible witnesses, but their motives are questionable at best.
Agreed, Barr and Bolton being pitiful & disgusting examples of such cockroaches - I'm sure there are many more cockroaches I just can't recall

But I also do understand the pressure on those on the periphery like the DOJ, FBI, etc being under a great deal of pressure from Trump's appointed goons to do his bidding or else.....
Careers have been ended by this shitbag

Agreed.

Google 'Geoffrey Berman' and you'll find that he is a card carrying Republican who appears to have managed to mostly keep his political leanings out of his roles within the DOJ via the SDNY.

Regardless, writing a book and having it published seems a good way for one to get their story out, that is, provided this is accompanied by a strong sales push.

P.S. Wasn't it The Lincoln Project who used 'Democracy dies in silence' as tag line? There appears to be a lot of things we wouldn't have known of were it not for the book sellers.
The Washington Post uses the slogan "Dermocracy dies in darkness." Books are important, the financial incentives can cause important books to be widely distributed.

The Washington Post uses the slogan "Dermocracy dies in darkness." Books are important, the financial incentives can cause important books to be widely distributed.
Ah, right you are.

They should change that to 'Democracy dies behind internet paywalls'.

I got a cheap sub at an intro rate. I keep threatening to quit every time it expires, and they keep letting me keep the rate.

They are even more lenient if you are not in North America I think -- both my WaPo and NYT subs are $1 a month and they haven't bothered me in ages.

Trump appointed judge gives Trump everything he asked for shock. When he boasted he could shoot someone and not lose votes, I didn’t realise that also included not being arrested for it. Once again the great US looks relatively toothless in dealing with criminality provided it goes high enough and has deep enough pockets.

We are so fooked.

Again I’m sure Garland has preempted this and will have something lined up. It is obvious Cannon is a corrupt mob judge now so this move was predictable. It may be a reason the investigation is going so wide at present with a mass of subpoenas flying all over the place. Trump’s lawyers are now in a position they need lawyers themselves now.

The other thing is the classified documents are a matter of national security so there are almost certainly other mechanisms that can be brought in. The ‘Special Master’ wouldn’t have the required security clearance to be allowed to read this stuff anyway, plus they are not, and never have been Trump’s property. They are and have always been, and always will be property of the US state. The whole thing is a grubby but very powerful mob boss trying to stall. He’ll win the odd battle but eventually fail. I’d bet on Cannon being disbarred before this is done along with a fair few others on Trump’s team. This is not how the justice system is meant to work.

Can an appeals court get the judge of original jurisdiction off a case for cause?

Pretty sure not. To get rid of a judge someone needs to file for judicial misconduct which is separate from any trial and involves things like taking a bag of money off someone shortly before a not guilty verdict rather than just being terribly wrong.

Although a more interesting question is can someone file something seeking to get her disbarred on the basis of this decision is so wrong it must be dodgy. i.e. not just a weird interpretation of the law but things like completely ignoring jurisdiction, ignoring the actual statutes, etc. Although I think in general the barrier for disbarment for federal judges is very high.

The whole system relies on the senate being the last incorruptible part of the whole system so that the quality of federal judges remains very high. Which makes McConnell's behaviour in all this even more egregious.

The more I hear about the US the more ****ed I believe it is.

The DOJ are also investigating some head honcho in the FBI for collusion with Russia in the trump election

advertisement

Back