advertisement

Post Covid Gigs?

In a somewhat hopeful way, we've just booked tickets for the Rotation Garden Party at the end of July.
Phil Mison, Chicken Lips, amongst others playing on an audiophile sound system, in the grounds of a 14th century manor house.

Just got back from this.
An absolutely brilliant weekend, in lovely surroundings, great music, and a friendly crowd (about 250 people tops) on top of a good catch up with a big bunch of friends.
One wonderful thing, that I didn't clock until a friend pointed it out on Sunday morning, was the absence of phones/cameras on the dancefloor - people in the moment, rather than filling up their facebook/instagram feed.

I have a ticket for the rearranged Agnes Obel show at Birmingham Symphony Hall in September.
That is it for me at the moment and I won't be booking anything new until I can be reasonably sure that the event will happen.

I'm in for Agnes Obel as well, will be the first thing I've been to for 2 years. Love the Symphony Hall so hoping it goes ahead and it feels safe enough to go.

Was due to see Agnes Obel beginning of September have been notified it has moved to 2022 maybe she doesn’t fancy a trip to the North East so Genesis next.

Mate of mine went to see Robert Plant in Malvern last weekend. He did 4 encores and everyone in the room, including Mr P, was reportedly deliriously happy.

I had rescheduled Eagles tickets for Wembley (A boys night in London was planned) - cancelled. Also cancelled was the re-scheduled Roger Hodgson. But my wife and I have still got both Genesis and Elton John in Birmingham (Sept and Dec) to look forward to. Strangely I have never seen Genesis live, ever, so really looking forward to last chance on that one! Although Steve Hackett has been enjoyed a few times.

I’ve got tickets to see Elbow at Portsmouth guildhall in October. Originally due to see last April.
One of my fave ever gigs was seeing elbow ‘on the asleep at the back’ tour at Wedgwood rooms in southsea in front of aprox 100 people, one of my best moments in music was them sat in a semi circle playing most of side two unplugged, the audience was quite literally spellbound and slack jawed mute. It was magical.

not decided if going to go, not been to a gig in years but we all know risks.
Gig might be empty, also not happy with plague passes to get into venues, big brother is getting personal.

Was due to see Agnes Obel beginning of September have been notified it has moved to 2022 maybe she doesn’t fancy a trip to the North East so Genesis next.

yeah just saw that Agnes is now Sept 2022, wonder what life will be like then!

I have Verona opera festival tkts for Sep 2nd which I will be missing unless Italy lift the 5 day quarantine requirement.
Loudon Wainwright tkts for RNCM later and Deacon Blue in December.

The Wife tried to book tickets for Seasick Steve in November in Nottingham, but it’s a no-go.

Not seen owt else interesting for both of us.

Hurrah! Soft Cell tickets in the bag for November.
'Im indoors is particularly excited.

Got rescheduled Fontaines DC in Manchester in October, rescheduled Caribou in Liverpool (also Oct), and Thee Oh Sees, (Liverpool again), in November.

I've got two nights in Stourbridge watching Ned's Atomic Dustbin rescheduled from last December.
And Just Mustard at the Castle in Manchester.

Laura Veirs at the Hare & Hounds, Birmingham in October, followed by Jim Bob (ex Carter USM) at a venue with the name of a phone company, which is just stupid so I won't say it.

By then it'll be close to three years since my last gig. Not sure I'll know what to do.

Are we Post COVID yet?

Anyway, Hedvig Mollestad Trio at Cafe OTO in November.
The Residents at Union Chapel in February.
Sparks at the Roundhouse in April 22.
Low at St John Hackney in April 22.

But first all that lovely stuff at End of the Road festival in 10 days!

A New Day Festival, last Friday near Faversham, Kent, UK.

Friday’s main stage lineup was: Soft Machine, Ozric Tentacles, Martin Turner ex-Wishbone Ash, Seth Lakeman, Martin Barre of Jethro Tull - performing the whole of ‘Aqualung’.

Very reasonably priced and friendly small festival set in beautiful Mount Ephraim Gardens with excellent sound/light and staging and on site camping, etc. Festival was running at 65% capacity (at local authority request), with around 3,000 people in attendance.

If (like myself) you dislike large and overly corporate and commercial Rock music festivals then this is the antidote!

I have a few lined up which I'm looking forward to:

Chase n Status (rescheduled from last month) in Oct.
Fun Lovin Criminals in Oct.
London Grammar in Nov.

Should be great to get out and see some live stuff again.

Against my better judgement off to see Jethro Tull in London tomorrow evening - last time I saw them was 1976 - I wonder if Ian Anderson can still stand on one leg while playing the flute.:)

Against my better judgement off to see Jethro Tull in London tomorrow evening - last time I saw them was 1976 - I wonder if Ian Anderson can still stand on one leg while playing the flute.:)

A friend saw them in Brighton, and said he really enjoyed it.
And,yes, he still does the standing on one leg thing.

Well, I've had both Confidence Man/Working Mens Club and Django Django postponed until next year.
However I've just added Haiku Salut and (hopefully, tickets go on sale tomorrow) Jon Hopkins - both localish.

advertisement

Back