Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[Poll] A poll on whether Power Cords make a difference

Discussion in 'audio' started by duckworp, Jun 14, 2018.

?

Do Power Cords Make A Difference?

1. Yes they do make a difference

145 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. No they don't make a difference

166 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. I don't know

53 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

not as full bloodied and organic as when i used copper , a harder sound if i remember right . power cables were valhalla . i am sure they are amazing with other things but they did not suit the belles , i asked my dealer and he suggested taking them off

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I get bored of the cyclic and entrenched nature of debate, but this thread is far more interesting than most as it does show where folk actually stand on the issue statistically rather than simply being a record of who shouts the loudest.

I’ve always suspected most folk will exist somewhere in the centre here, e.g. in reality not spending thousands on mains cables, but not using cheap mass-produced supermarket junk either. That’s certainly where I reside, I have a fairly elderly MusicWorks switched block in each system (some of my kit doesn’t have on/off switches) and I use decent quality MK or Crabtree plugs on everything. I just have no need to use junk.

radamel, Ragaman and Cereal Killer like this.
  3. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

4. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

I wonder which group hear yanny & which laurel :D

For me the mains cable issue is simple, those with no interest, as in life, avoid & move on, anyone who has an interest, spend a few quid on it, no need for more to hear an improvement, do not spend silly money.

For example, there is currently a very silly thread for those who hate the world cup, it shows how inane forums can be at times.

Mullardman likes this.
  5. wylton

wylton Naim and Mana member

Yes, that's exactly where I sit.

6. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I am in the Arkless Electronics camp when it comes to mains cables.
    Using terms like ‘not as full blooded and organic’ mean absolutely nothing.
    As for Valhalla power cables, someone’s being conned by a name whilst someone else
    makes a killing selling them.
    Try listening to music, not cables...

whatsnext likes this.
  7. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Extra Virgin...??

8. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Cold pressed. No expense spared at Cable Massage.

9. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

But they do to someone who understands them. I agree about the Valhalla though. And better cables make the music sound better. Simples.

10. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

My amplifier is so old you can't change the power cord and I'll bet it still has the same plug Sugden fitted in the 60s.

11. Mullardman

Screening.. possibly.. if you have interference from some source. So, not improving sound, but stopping degradation of sound. Though probs better to get rid of the source if poss. Otherwise,.. no....

230v AC/50Hz is 230vAC/50Hz, except when it isn't.. which is apparently a lot of the time, but a metre of poncy wire isn't going to change that.

If you don't like your mains supply.. complain to the supplier, or move house. Otherwise, use the mains to charge batteries and run battery powered kit.

In the 1960s when we lashed up our first home made 'disco' kit, we suffered from the clicking of beer pumps, and occasional Police radio, coming through the single socket in the upstairs room of the White Hart pub in Nottm, where we did our first 'Gigs'.
    A friend wired a sodding great capacitor across the plug. Sorted.

John Phillips likes this.
  12. Thighsofsteel

Thighsofsteel pfm Member

If people want to do buy things for there own consumption that is great. The moment you post on a public forum, then expect robust debate.

whatsnext likes this.
  13. Mullardman

I wouldn't advise massaging that cable. Even ( or especially) to your 'Gold Standard' The oil will dull the cotton sheathing and eventually perish the rubber insulation. So, no massage.. though a few gentle words of encouragement might help.. that and a nice cup of tea..

14. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

So it will have a mains plug with un-shrouded pins then ?
    It will, of course, sound much better than a modern plug...

15. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Precisely, best to just buy some & leave it at that, stating one way or another on a forum is a little pointless from what I have gathered of late, I honestly have no idea why people start threads about cables, we all know how it will go.

hifinutt likes this.
  16. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

I suppose it comes down to terminology, I would describe the sound I hear from my system as rich & full, with lots of detail & precision, it may not be neutral but terms such as this do not mean nothing, they describe what is there or what is missing.

Would you not agree a system can sound lean & sterile or fulsome & warm, surely you can see this, terms such as this mean everything to buyer as hifi is personal, we buy what we like, not what the specs tell us.

17. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

No idea??

18. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

That was pretty much my thought... the people who think/vote "yes" just can't be arsed to argue with the dogmatic 'science is perfect' brigade.

19. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

of course , these days i have no such stuff but you like to try these things don`t you !

20. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

And the technical terms probably have little meaning to non-technical people. Who frequently seem to be unable to understand "normal" descriptions.