advertisement

Podcasts

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
Happy new year to y'all fishes.

Has there been a thread on podcasts? Just searched but there seems no specific thread on pfm. Which seems odd.

I've just stumbled upon an absolutely stunning one, & admit to having turned into a bit of a true crime junkie. So let us discuss podcasts- the good, the outstanding, the weird, the amusing too. My pick is Ghost Story: immaculately crafted, intensely gripping.. I think it's the best I've come across in the 10 years is it (?) since Serial which started it, I think. Certainly it did within the true crime genre anyway.

Capt

Love a podcast me. Listening to a series on the Plantagenets right now, Henry 2, his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine and their sons including Richard Lionheart and Bad King John. It’s a right royal soap opera born in civil war in England in which wife went to war with her sons against the father, sons went to war against set each other, Eleanor was imprisoned by her husband, sons were killed in gruesome ways in tournaments and the odd crusade thrown in for good measure.

Eastenders with swords and privilege. Great stuff

Love ‘Word In Your Ear’, music and popular culture for middle aged blokes.

I used to love ‘Athletico Mince’ but Bob Mortimer is a bit busy these days and the frequency and standard has nose dived lately. In its prime laugh out loud funny most episodes.

I really like ‘Chart Music’ a very deep dive into random episodes of Top Of The Pops, with ex Melody Maker journalists. They manage to get 7 hours out of a half hour episode of TOTP. Keeps me company in the car.

‘Chasin The Racing’, interviews with Motorcycle Racers and people involved, mainly concentrating on British Superbikes and the TT.

Darko, The Occasional Podcast and Ecoustics, for Hi-Fi chat, not always covering things I like but I generally find them interesting.

‘Desperately Seeking Paul’ an ex DJ talks to anyone connected to Paul Weller with the ultimate aim of interviewing Mr Weller. It’s just finished. Weller, The Jam and Style Council fans only probably.

‘Revisionist History’ Malcolm Gladwells podcast on American History and Culture. Often offering alternative and interesting points of view, I find it incredibly interesting sometimes.

I dip in and out of many others like Richard Herring’s and Adam Buxton’s’, depending on guests, there seems to be a merry go round of comedians desperate to promote something.

I enjoy quite a few on BBC Sounds but they tend to run in series form rather than weekly. I particularly enjoyed the recent ‘Legend’ series about Joni Mitchell, I learned a lot about her.

Cheers BB

I really like the various History Hit podcasts - normally someone who has a book out chatting with the host about their area of expertise for 45 minutes. I find it a lot more satisfying than TV history shows - more in depth and no time wasted with clips of reconstructions or moody shots of the presenter walking across battle fields.

The series Being Roman with Mary Beard is very good too.

The fortnightly Private Eye podcast can be good.

Lots of people have recommended to me A History of Rock in 500 Songs as being absolutely amazing - though I've not yet made a start on it.

I really like the various History Hit podcasts - normally someone who has a book out chatting with the host about their area of expertise for 45 minutes. I find it a lot more satisfying than TV history shows - more in depth and no time wasted with clips of reconstructions or moody shots of the presenter walking across battle fields.

The series Being Roman with Mary Beard is very good too.

The fortnightly Private Eye podcast can be good.

Lots of people have recommended to me A History of Rock in 500 Songs as being absolutely amazing - though I've not yet made a start on it.
Dan Snow is good. He gets good guests to chat about a wide sweep of history

I enjoy listening to the odd music podcast, particularly those that emulate old school FM where it's less about the presenter and zilch to do with advertisers. Being a Jazz head, one of my favourites is 'In the Groove, Jazz and Beyond' with host Ken Laster. Ken has been doing these for quite some time, starting with his same name college radio show on WWUH 91.3 FM in West Hartford, CT. Broadcasts were on Friday's with the Podcast out by Sunday each week. A nice thing about these kinds of programs is that they travel well. For example, Ken Laster picked up sticks and moved from Hartford to San Diego, but still the show goes on. For me, this particular show filled the gap left by Ross Porter leaving CBC's 'After Hours' to start what is Canada's only Jazz radio station (JazzFM 91.1 FM Toronto).

Not into podcasts, but my youngest son sometimes plays me Blind Boy, which is excellent.

I can't see how anyone can say they're not into podcasts. That like saying 'naah, I'm not really into my Ma reading me a story..' !

I am therefore slightly intrigued by your recommendation. Will check it out.

Capt

@ks.234 that sounds very interesting. As I get fatter & balder, I seem to consider & enjoy history more. I think this might be a natural reaction to my incracingly looking at myself & the words 'fat monk' frequenting my thoughts.

I listened to a whole podcast (all wallowing in a single bath) since I posted the thread: BBC's one on Ian Fleming. Fascinating stuff about his wartime antics in MI5, morphing into his Bond, & even JFK ascociations too.

I highly recommend a looong bath with copious bubbles & plastic duck, as the ideal setting for listening to podcasts.

Capt

@ks.234 that sounds very interesting. As I get fatter & balder, I seem to consider & enjoy history more. I think this might be a natural reaction to my incracingly looking at myself & the words 'fat monk' frequenting my thoughts.

I listened to a whole podcast (all wallowing in a single bath) since I posted the thread: BBC's one on Ian Fleming. Fascinating stuff about his wartime antics in MI5, morphing into his Bond, & even JFK ascociations too.

I highly recommend a looong bath with copious bubbles & plastic duck, as the ideal setting for listening to podcasts.

Capt
What’s a ‘bath’?

I've tried but couldn't get into them, I just seem to zone out and then half an hour has passed and I've forgot what they were even on about. It reminds me a bit of being at school and I didn't like that much either.

I've tried but couldn't get into them, I just seem to zone out and then half an hour has passed and I've forgot what they were even on about. It reminds me a bit of being at school and I didn't like that much either.

Seriously, try the 2 mins synopsis of Ghost Story. You won't zone out.

Abominable Snowman one next up for the Captain's tubtime :) got my Matey bubbles ready.

I think we ought to have a ghosts thread. Capt

Nice to listen to podcasts through headphones.

Yes ideally I'd take one on my frequent hikes, but alas I don't have a thing to do it from/ clever phone I suspect for you.

I've no idea how Im getting these on spotify, like Wondery etc, foc.. let alone 'recording' a podcast onto a portable whatnot. My cellphone's from 1997.

advertisement

Back