advertisement

Podcasts

My cellphone's from 1997.
53446208720_caa194a624_z.jpg

Also good for History is The Rest Is History, despite the tubby culture warrior that is Dominic Sandbrook.

Not History, but Debunking Economics by Steve Keen is excellent (and non MMT)

We listen to podcasts when doing the dishes (sorry, "the washing up"). In any other context I can't pay attention to them.

I have enjoyed:
* Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend: always hilarious and often much more profound interviews than he could manage in the late night TV format
* Jamie Liddell -- Hanging Out With Audiophiles: not an audiophile podcast, but a mostly music production one with long-form interviews with prominent (mainly electronic) musicians
* Futility Closet: sadly defunct podcast of interesting/curious historical stories
* Civil War Talk Radio: for all your US Civil War historical needs
* Sengoku Daimyo -- Chronicles of Japan: overly detailed Japanese history...my interest eventually fizzled out
* Northwoods Baseball Sleep Radio: broadcasts of fake baseball games meant to be played in the background while you doze. Subtly hilarious.
* Sound on Sound -- Recording and Mixing: does what it says on the tin

Podcasts are one of the good reasons to have a smart phone. Even the old Windows phones are good enough for this purpose ( Podcast Lounge, GroverPro) These are the ones I listen to occassionally. I have many more in the apps I have in the past listened to many BBC ones (eg In our Time, Thinking Allowed, Missing Crypto Queen, Stonewall, Moral Maze, From Our Correspondant - many of these are radio shows saved for posterity. The BBC at its best)
These I have pinned to Start for quick access ( some thing Windows Phone has over Android)
Money Box
This is Money
Brendan O'Neill
The Spiked Podcast
Security Now
Windows Weekly
The Glen Show ( a couple of top class ( black) US academics who discuss US issues quite often debunking the black victimhood narrative. They have a couple on the George Floyd affair)
Uncanny
various news -
Coffee House Shots ( Spectator)
Planet Normal( telegraph)
Today in Focus( Guardian)
Off Script( Telegraph)

Many thanks to the members that steered me towards the superb Empire podcast.

I've been working my way through the history of the Ottoman Empire, today with a double episode on the Armenian Genocide of which I was vaguely aware but knew very little. A horrifying subject but handled sensitively and even handedly. And an object lesson from history in the importance of rejecting leaders who seek to other and scapegoat marginalised peoples.

History podcasts. I found one, an absolutely astoundingly good series.. well over a year ago & totally forgot to mention it.

It's called Fall of Civilizations, made entirely by one postgraduate who narrates it. It's beautifully 'slow tv' paced which I find ideal for such complex subjects, impeccably researched & narrated. 18 episodes now, each 3m+ views. That good.

They were innitially just a podcast, hence I think the lilting narration.. but subsequently each had video added as well, making them into documentaries. But wow, what documentaries they then become: they simply make TV redundant.

Capt

Very much enjoying the Gorbachev series from Legacy Podcasts. Excellent history and really nice production values.

advertisement

Back