advertisement

Pocket Calculator Thread

Steve,

My dad bought something very like that in about 1971 or 1972, except that in place of a & button it had a √ button, which was very cool. None of my mates had a square root function on their dads' calculators.

Our school allowed the use of calculators from the third form (~age 13-14) onwards (I can't translate this into 'year X' or 'grade' sorry) and recommended two models, one of which was the Texas Instruments Ti30, which I got. Exactly like this one:
e2f85dad-8a80-4954-ac66-b7bd8d237aa2.jpg

I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

That TI looks familiar. I may have had one in high school, before I got the HP for university.

I'm sure everyone knows this, but it's neat that the calculator on iPhones and iPods morphs into a scientific calculator if you turn the device so the screen is in landscape format.

e726abd62a7d08749d3a882889cdc78d.png

88b9621dc4527f521ca3d8e8ab4787fa.png

Joe

I‘d love one of those, but as you say it gets seriously expensive for a nice example. I do however have this:

51003009216_4688d912f9_b.jpg

I bought it a few years ago (it was only £30 or so) just to learn how mechanical calculators work. It is certainly not a pocket calculator though, but neither is my Toahiba upthread!
We used to have an older version of that and during summer vacations we would put in huge numbers and set it going, the winner was the one who could keep it churning for the longest

My Casio fx-451

bought as it could handle binary, hex and octal with the logical operators. Also had loads of imperial to metric conversions. Think I bought it in about 1982 as I started my A'Levels

20231105_163611 by uh_simon, on Flickr

Steve,

That TI looks familiar. I may have had one in high school, before I got the HP for university.

I'm sure everyone knows this, but it's neat that the calculator on iPhones and iPods morphs into a scientific calculator if you turn the device so the screen is in landscape format.

e726abd62a7d08749d3a882889cdc78d.png

88b9621dc4527f521ca3d8e8ab4787fa.png

Joe

It amazes me there is no built-in calculator at all in iPadOS. I know there are a whole range of third-party options from the App Store, but that is not the point. There should be one included, and a good one too.

Just looked to see if my Braun on the last page, a reissue of Dieter Rams and Dietrich Lubs’ ET66 from 1987 (the og iPhone calculator), is still available; and it’s less than half price here:

I got mine when it was first released around ten years ago, and it’s a lovely thing to have.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Tony,

It amazes me there is no built-in calculator at all in iPadOS. I know there are a whole range of third-party options from the App Store, but that is not the point. There should be one included, and a good one too.

I agree, a calculator (ideally something Brauny) should be one of the stock apps. I ended up buying one for a few clams, but it should be included.

I imagine the coding for a calculator would be at the easier end of things, unlike, say, an app that integrates a GPS and real-time map with Pokémons in your neighbourhood. Now that would be cool if someone could be bothered to create such an app.

Joe

I also have an Fx4000p, and somewhere I have a Casio programmable of similar vintage, but I can't find it, not even a photo on the internet.

By the way, have I posted a picture of my awesome Sharp CT-550, the calculator that looks like a communicator?

P6h85sk.jpg

Joe

By the way, it's really hard to hold a calculator while giving the Vulcan salute with one hand while taking a picture of it with the other. In fact, it's damn near impossible!

Joe

Something a bit different, prompted by laying eyes on this beauty:

Swiss engineering, high precision calculation and reverse Polish notation. Phwoaaarrrr!!

Seriously, I used to love mucking around with programmable calculators as a nerdy teenager and other kids liked playing (e.g.) my primitive version of Blackjack against a cunning electronic adversary.

Another thing that reminded me of those days is finding this rather niche item in one of those little local book-swap boxes:

I owned this very book as a teenager, so I couldn't resist swapping something for it. Flipping through it, I'm pleased to see that the games are as boring as I remember them being.

Anyway, feel free to share your memories, recommendations, etc. Surely I am not alone in loving these things?

PS: Will leave it to someone else to post the relevant Kraftwerk tracks.

I am sorely tempted, but CHF 249 is $277 US. Still, if one of my HP15Cs dies, the HP12s that they still sell today are a poor substitute.

I have a TI-85 graphing programmable calculator still in my office drawer - not likely to be able to remember how to use it.

I did have it loaded up with work relevant programs back in the day - the graphing was not needed.

I always had the latest and greatest TI that I could afford when I was at uni in 75-78. A few mates were rich enough to have HP jobbies.

I seem to remember buying one calculator for about £80 - which was a lot of wedge when my weekly living budget was about £30! But it got me through a stats exam that I would have struggled with otherwise - the powers had not caught up with the fact that some calculators could do stats!

I always had the latest and greatest TI that I could afford when I was at uni in 75-78. A few mates were rich enough to have HP jobbies.

I seem to remember buying one calculator for about £80 - which was a lot of wedge when my weekly living budget was about £30! But it got me through a stats exam that I would have struggled with otherwise - the powers had not caught up with the fact that some calculators could do stats!

Another big boon to students, stats or otherwise, was the introduction of the HP25C circa 1975, with "Continuous Memory". The ability to store programs, and have them still be there when you turned it off and back on, was of immense value.

advertisement

Back