advertisement

Pocket Calculator Thread

droodzilla

pfm Member
Something a bit different, prompted by laying eyes on this beauty:

Swiss engineering, high precision calculation and reverse Polish notation. Phwoaaarrrr!!

Seriously, I used to love mucking around with programmable calculators as a nerdy teenager and other kids liked playing (e.g.) my primitive version of Blackjack against a cunning electronic adversary.

Another thing that reminded me of those days is finding this rather niche item in one of those little local book-swap boxes:

I owned this very book as a teenager, so I couldn't resist swapping something for it. Flipping through it, I'm pleased to see that the games are as boring as I remember them being.

Anyway, feel free to share your memories, recommendations, etc. Surely I am not alone in loving these things?

PS: Will leave it to someone else to post the relevant Kraftwerk tracks.

IMG_5206_600px.jpg

Like perhaps quite a few here, I went through O and A Levels (Math & Further Maths, Physics etc) with a Casio Fx-82. Brilliant thing!
That eventually got replaced by this monster, which I bought new in 1995, 1500miles east of Singapore. It gets used most days; yet I have never replaced the batteries!

I still have the printed manual - A5-format, and about 13mm thick.

PS @Sue Pertwee-Tyr : 5318008.

Last edited:
51005782486_51f135ff38_b.jpg

My two; a 1975 Sinclair Oxford 100, which eats 9V batteries in minutes and has a crazy divide by zero bug, and a late-70s Toshiba BC-1270, which is in regular use. I’ve never been any good at mental arithmetic. I use that for adding up shop orders etc as I really am that bad (especially now post covid). I’ve always relied on calculators to be honest.

I think I have one of these lurking at Mum's house somewhere complete with the books.

s-l1600.jpg

ah I had one of those for time until my dad visited them Cambridge/Huntington to demand my money back. At the time old Clive Sinclair was showing some Arab personage around so they quickly gave him the refund and got rid of him as soon as possible. Why you are thinking all this pilava? IT GAVE WRONG TRIG ANSWERS. Yep WRONG ANSWERS. The Trig functions were faulty, I was doing A level maths at the time

ah I had one of those for time until my dad visited them Cambridge/Huntington to demand my money back. At the time old Clive Sinclair was showing some Arab personage around so they quickly gave him the refund and got rid of him as soon as possible. Why you are thinking all this pilava? IT GAVE WRONG TRIG ANSWERS. Yep WRONG ANSWERS. The Trig functions were faulty, I was doing A level maths at the time

A friend of mine is married to someone who used to run Sinclair's customer services department when they were based in St Ives. She has told me more than once that the number of complaints over faulty goods that came though was unbelievable. Just utterly s**t QA and no wonder the business went to the wall.

This is timely.

I recently found my first and second calculator in an old drawer. I had no reason the think either would work, but I put fresh batteries in both — two AAs in the Casio and four button cells in the Sharp — and they still work.

The oldest (a Casio CP-801C) was a Christmas gift I got when in Grade 5 and dates to 1975, give or take. The cool-ass blue-green fluorescent numbers still light up just fine.

hGomAas.jpg

The second calculator (a Sharp CT-550), which is also a clock, day-date thingy and stopwatch, was a combo birthday and Christmas gift from the entire family a year later. I seem to recall its being around $50 then, so a bazillion dollars in today's money. I wanted it so badly because it flipped open like a communicator and would beep when the stopwatch hit zero in countdown mode.

AE4Ai3j.jpg

hF3pTQq.jpg

To round it out is an HP-42S, a programmable RPN calculator that got me through a couple of science degrees.

8MsCKpY.jpg

It will let you know if you've created a black hole and it can work with complex numbers, which is kinda neat. It also has a guzinta button -- e.g., 3 guzinta 12 four times.

Joe

I had a cool compact Casio scientific. Made a suede case, busted the screen with the snap closure. D'oh! Then scored a Casio FX-990 Solar (or was it an FX-880?) when all my mates were using original FX-82. It was a slim calculator in a wallet, was very trick. Oh, one friend was using HP10C with RPN - wow, more efficient as well as nerd cool! There's an FX-880 on ebay asking over $3k!? Madness.
A few years later I was studying electronics and telecommunications at polytech, found my trusty FX-990 was giving wrong answers. Tested it against a couple of classmates, sure enough, it was faulty. I bought a modern HP27S, it was the bomb. Programable - or at least solved expressions and held them in the memory. Assignable buttons as part of the formula, lovely display, and no RPN to get my head around. I've since picked up an HP12C Business calculator, and a 14B (may have been a 17B, I forget), though I've never really used them much. I haven't used the 27S in decades. These are now languishing in a drawer somewhere.

I've got 2 or 3 slide rules and use them regularly, although only for multiplication and division. Very good for working out exchange rates, dilutions of photographic chemicals, square meters, etc.

advertisement

Back