advertisement

Please suggest a simple way to clean records...

For me the simplest way is via an ADC and audacity to repair clicks, then play the file. :) More convenient when in the kitchen as well. 8-]
FWIW I've used this approach for years now, and means I can store the records out of the way somewhere taking up less space. Less wear in the end on the stylus as well.

make sure you buy a bulk lot of Nagaoka inner sleeves
Polypaper ones are very good too, but act as a separate inner rather than an inner inner (!) and sometimes don't fit inside that original inner. If anything, these are (or were) cheaper. The records do have to be fully dry, or mould can be caused in either.

For me the simplest way is via an ADC and audacity to repair clicks, then play the file. :) More convenient when in the kitchen as well. 8-]
FWIW I've used this approach for years now, and means I can store the records out of the way somewhere taking up less space. Less wear in the end on the stylus as well.

The sheer effort, tedium, and hassle make that a total deal-breaker for me. If I didn’t want the whole experience of owning and playing a record I’d just take out a music streaming subscription. I’d happily pay a tenner a month not to have to deal with ripping my record collection and then storing the files! I’d only consider ripping the real obscurities that are unlikely to ever appear on such services. Even in a collection as leftfield and diverse as mine that is only a fairly small percentage.

When I read of this sorcery, I know I'm getting old ! :(:confused:. Records are for record players, CDs are for CDPs; just the way I was brung up, innit?

Well, a cleaned up transfer can be 96k/24 if you fancy. And cleaned up no fuss to play. Easier to select a track from an LP. easier to 'autochange' and play both sides of an LP without having to swap side. Easier for me also when in the kitchen or some other room. Easier to hear the LP via a portable player + headphones, etc, etc.

The sheer effort, tedium, and hassle make that a total deal-breaker for me. If I didn’t want the whole experience of owning and playing a record I’d just take out a music streaming subscription.

Well, an LP in good condition doesn't take long to check and repair *if* any repair is needed. Just play the recording and enjoy listening, making a note of where any clicks manifest. Then a few mins to fix them. Job done. No more work, easier to play. Also no worry that a later playing might cause damage and spoil the disc.

And some old LPs can be unobtaineum in good condition. e.g. some of the ancient odd-label Jazz band ones of radio concerts. Which have good jazz because live.

Add in, once you've done this for *hundreds* of LPs, you have lots to choose from at the click of a mouse as your playlist, knowing they are all 'clean'. Then combined with CD rips, etc, on storage as files.

But I admid that for me playing an LP was never an 'experience'. More often a PITA because of the flaws - clicks and bangs - so many had from new. Real curse if you like 'Classical' music in particular, and worst for EMI.

A short time ago one of the old LPs I 'rescued' was an Organ recital made at the RFH with its original organ by a fairly 'flowery' organist. Really lovely 'dramatic' sound and performance. But cursed with lots of came-with-it pops and clicks. (EMI of course.) Cleaned up, sounds lovely. So I can enjoy it now much more than I did back when I bought it!

Above said, also easy to generate a HP-filtered copy which makes audible clicks stand out on screen. Put it parallel to the original in Audacity's display to speed up finding clicks, and 'repair's yer uncle. 8-}

One nice thing about having files stored is that you can then quickly search for all the files by a given artist, etc, and get a list. Then play the ones you want without having to spend longer time looking for where you put something.

Short version: I think we differ on this. :)

Short version: I think we differ on this. :)

To be honest I suspect our record cleaning technology is so far apart I just don’t have to deal with the issues you describe. The vast majority of my record collection plays without any noticeable noise at all. Even very old second-hand classical. I’ve often had people round who are surprised by how quiet it is and ask me where all the crackle and pop is. I just point to the wet vac record cleaner and say “in there!”. It really is a game-changer. Obviously it can’t repair groove damage, pressing flaws etc, but it very often gets out stuff folk mistake as being that kind of issue.

Most of the LPs I play+process can have their transfer cleaned up in about five minutes, and then never need any redoing. By the time you have hundreds on store along with the CDs as files, playing is a lot easier. Particularly if in the kitchen, etc. DND a few files and let the music play some mix of LP sides, CDs, etc, as I wished.

OTOH a few I have got of 2nd hand of Jazz have been in awful condition, but the only copy I could find of something like a live jazz concert from c 1940. Great music but sometimes clicks and noises galore. And the problem tends to be damaged grooves caused by a previous user.

I've experimented in the past with various wet cleaning systems. They generally work, but I found them more of a faff than what I now do. YMMV.

I've been using an RCM for 25 years, firstly a Moth and more recently a Project, great job and I wouldn't be without one.
I wouldn't mind trying one of the Ultrasonic machines though.

The sheer effort, tedium, and hassle make that a total deal-breaker for me. If I didn’t want the whole experience of owning and playing a record I’d just take out a music streaming subscription. I’d happily pay a tenner a month not to have to deal with ripping my record collection and then storing the files! I’d only consider ripping the real obscurities that are unlikely to ever appear on such services. Even in a collection as leftfield and diverse as mine that is only a fairly small percentage.
I'm kinda the same. I just stick a (reasonably) clean record on the turntable and get on with my day.

I get the impression however that Jim a) likes the convenience if digital playback and b) likes a lot of music that you maybe aren't going to find on streaming services (early/obscure jazz). So I can see how digitising LPs makes sense for him.

I wouldn't mind trying one of the Ultrasonic machines though.
But keep your Project for the vac. finish; unless, that is, they've found a way to incorporate this essential factor.

I know there are filters etc. but to me, using fresh fluid each time on a vac. RCM simply makes sense rather than wonder at which stage to change it.

I wouldn't sell the Pro-ject @Mike Reed it's a great machine for the money.
I've seen much more expensive machines but remain unconvinced they'd be any better, at least for hobbyist use.

My exact sentiments too. I enjoy the ritual and experience of playing records. When I'm not in the mood, I stream or play CDs.

It takes a bit of practice, and an adequate amount of PVA, preferably the aliphatic variety.
Having never heard of it I just googled it and it seems PVA and aliphatic adhesive are different products.

Having never heard of it I just googled it and it seems PVA and aliphatic adhesive are different products.
Whatever material is used, it seems such a waste. If you could use it as a by-product after cleaning the record; a frisby, for example, a whole new world opens up.:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back