advertisement

Pink Triangle Anniversary

Thank you for the illuminating opinion torstoi.

However, I’ll trust my own ears and have a listen to the Hana Umami Red at some stage, you say it was “freshly unpacked” suggesting to me that perhaps a run in period is required before it opens up and begins to operate optimally.
OT on:
Yes, sorry my comment 'freshly unpacked' is a tiny bit misleading, my mate said he got it new and used it for about a week or so, what essentially I meant to say was that it had been unpacked new and not handed from one dealer to another with possible mishaps / accidents or anything. He told me in his opinion it is run in.
It is well possible though it had not been absolutely run in at that point...I'm unable to judge that qualified, my mate is a professional and passionate recordplayer dealer though, that doesn't mean he has universal wisdom, but his opinion has a certain weigth to me for sure..
He getting in and running in fresh systems every week, so probably more than most around here, a certain experience when a system is run in far enough to judge it can be expected..I think ?
So let's say it was run in by 75% just as a wild guess...what I heard was clearly: You can give that as a gift to me, I will definitely never use it.
But listen to it yourself..I'm curious what you think about it.
As I said I only heard a row of spectacular soundevents instead of the connected musical story of a song.
I only got the storyline once switched over to the Goldring..
The Umami to me is probaly perfect for demos with soundhunters to put on some 3 blind mice records, which sound spectacular, but often have very limited musical debth imo..
A cartridge meanwhile is a good storyteller to me.
And over the years I have faded from the soundhunter camp into the camp of preferring a well told musical storyline..even if a bit less spectacular.
OT off

Hi,
I just stumbled on this thread and not sure if anyone is interested or will even read this but I have a PT Anniversary / SME V turntable that I have had sitting barely used for 20 years (I used to be a dealer). It has a pair of Moth 30 series Phono amps with it. I have just put a new belt on it, oiled it etc and it is mechanically working fine. It does have a cracked lid. I have the original boxes. I also have hundreds of pristine Jazz and Jazz Fusion albums. I have just had them all cleaned and converted to flac for myself by my new neighbour who is massively into this stuff. He saw it sitting around and I had no idea they were in demand again.

If this stuff gets anyone excited, please let me know. [email protected]

Steve

It will be a 12V motor.
I have never seen any description of how the PSU works, so what kind of tolerance there is on input voltage, I have no idea.

By coincidence I've had the opportunity to hear the new Umami freshly unpacked bc my dealer was handed a sample for trial.
We listened to it against a Goldring Excel nos which cost roughly about 1200€.

The most impressive thing about the Umami was it's fancy red paint that really looked the part.
It was a tiny bit better in serving the last bit of tonal colour from Tomtoms, Saxophones and the like,
so just a notch more..but..the Goldring was better in timing.
With the Umami I was taken at some specific moments in the music, so I was lead to listen to isolated 'soundevents' w/o delivering an understanding of the whole piece, but the Goldring just made more sense in the whole music piece in total.
And was more envolving to me definitely.
Had I been given a blind choice, I had picked the Goldring Excell without doubt.
Which, considering it's price is an absolute disgrace for the Umami.
Big nono to me, a refurbed Troica is way better.

The price of the Umami is far from what I would even be allowed to think about,
but I would give it cudos if it was any good, no overcompensated jealousy in my review though.
Hence my mate just sent it back straight, not even caring if he would perhaps be allowed to keep it..
simply bc it's no competition to the midrange MCs he already has around.
And he won't sell it either, no vfm at all there.

Sorry for the OT..
p.s.: the smaller offerings of Hana offer rather good vfm however..
Their new flagship to me left an impression of a shiny object for rich people who are absolutely deaf and like to show off a bit.

A mate used an Excel for a few years and it always impressed. Logic DM101 and Mission 774.

A mate used an Excel for a few years and it always impressed. Logic DM101 and Mission 774.
Seems like a good idea, the Excel even looks quite similar to the Mission 773 MC system,
but I don't think they actually share genetic roots..?
The 773 was said to rather be an alter ego of the Supex..which again someone around here said could be the granddad of the Troika..not sure who said that,,I think it was Simon mentioned it at some point.

I reckon the cheaper Goldring carts have always been overrated.... BUT their really pricey MC's have been unfairly ignored... It's right up there IME.

How much!? for a 1042?? I remember when they were only...:rolleyes: It was a two digit number. And I thought a VMS30E MkII easy beat it for maybe 40% less money. Yer know, I remember when that new estate up there, that were the mine:rolleyes:o_O

advertisement

Back