advertisement

Pink Triangle Anniversary

By coincidence I've had the opportunity to hear the new Umami freshly unpacked bc my dealer was handed a sample for trial.

The most impressive thing about the Umami was it's fancy red paint that really looked the part.

With the Umami I was taken at some specific moments in the music, so I was lead to listen to isolated 'soundevents' w/o delivering an understanding of the whole piece, which, considering it's price is an absolute disgrace for the Umami.

The price of the Umami is far from what I would even be allowed to think about,
but I would give it kudos if it was any good.
Hence my mate just sent it back straight, not even caring if he would perhaps be allowed to keep it..
simply bc it's no competition to the midrange MCs he already has around.
And he won't sell it either, no vfm at all there.

Their new flagship to me left an impression of a shiny object for rich people who are absolutely deaf and like to show off a bit.

Thank you for the illuminating opinion torstoi.

However, I’ll trust my own ears and have a listen to the Hana Umami Red at some stage, you say it was “freshly unpacked” suggesting to me that perhaps a run in period is required before it opens up and begins to operate optimally.

Armboards for the PT1 are not difficult to make - essentially a 100mm square - have made more than 1 out of ally/balsa/cf sandwich using ally rectangular section underneath to get the height.

I would not describe that as easy, it may not be difficult, but it ain't easy or quick. Even faffing with the four spacers to get them the right height and all the same height, unless you have a mill, is far from a 5 minute job.

That said, just the thought of stripping the tonearm off, then removing the armboard, using the old bent ally armboard as a template for a new board and spacers, fitting it all to determine the hole position for a new tonearm, stripping it off again, drilling, refitting, etc. etc. etc. etc., did not fill me with glee.

I roughed-out several LP12 armboards in a morning, fitted fixing screw inserts in an hour or so and fitting one complete with a new arm takes maybe 2-3 hours max.

Armboards for the PT1 are not difficult to make - essentially a 100mm square - have made more than 1 out of ally/balsa/cf sandwich using ally rectangular section underneath to get the height.

Fitted with a Mission 774 which is lightweight it does need quite some ballast.
Aye armboards are fairly straightforward to sort, older aluminium ones are often on the Bay for 20 odd quid, TPoint do fancy carbon fibre or as above make from a piece of balsa and spacers. The Annis I have known had SME V and Orions, always fancied the Alphason arm.

Thank you for the illuminating opinion torstoi.

However, I’ll trust my own ears and have a listen to the Hana Umami Red at some stage, you say it was “freshly unpacked” suggesting to me that perhaps a run in period is required before it opens up and begins to operate optimally.
The reviews seem pretty positive bar the Hi Fi World one which was a bit meh. It’s on my radar along with a Kleos as my next move on a 1200G, I’d move the Cadenza off it to Mrs AA PT Too

I don’t see anyone trying to replicate, or improve the original Pink Triangle Aerolam armboard.
Is the material expensive, difficult to machine/utilise at that scale...?

I’m not suggesting a laser cut graphene sandwich board btw

I don’t see anyone trying to replicate, or improve the original Pink Triangle Aerolam armboard.
Is the material expensive, difficult to machine/utilise at that scale...?

It isn't the armboard, it is the sub-chassis. It was chosen to be very light and very rigid. I beleive the original was a balsa sandwich?

That provides just the bare minimum so far as I can see - positions for the mounting bolts (plus position for a Rega mounting hole). Nothing at all about spacers/total height?

Thanks for clearing that up Vinny, obviously the sub chassis is much more substantial than the arm board.

Not a problem.
It would be very tricky to do much with the sub-chassis - at the simplest level, if the weight changed by much at all, the suspension springs could easily need changing, the whole suspension would certainly change in how it operated. I am sure that it could be altered, even for the better, but you'd need some modelling software for it not to take half a lifetime.

Bear in mind that the deck is genuinely suspended - the whole sub-chassis and all attached to it hang from 3 quite light springs (or at least so in the PT1).

The Anni has a fancier subchassis, triple-layer aerolam, my PT1 and Too had single layer aerolam, there was an original PT that was different.

The arm board material makes a big difference to the sound.

I preferred the MDF ones over anything else, though istrc that Arther didn't agree with me !

I've probably got some blanks here somewhere amongst lots of other pt bits if anyone gets stuck for one.

The arm board material makes a big difference to the sound.

I preferred the MDF ones over anything else, though istrc that Arther didn't agree with me !

I've probably got some blanks here somewhere amongst lots of other pt bits if anyone gets stuck for one.
Got any spare pink lids :)

Luckily my 40 year old one is still in good shape. When we moved everything got chucked in a van bar the PT, my GF who’s now my Mrs always held it on her knees while we drove to the new gaff, love my PT...

Got any spare pink lids :)

Luckily my 40 year old one is still in good shape. When we moved everything got chucked in a van bar the PT, my GF who’s now my Mrs always held it on her knees while we drove to the new gaff, love my PT...

I gave up on the lids after number 2 fell apart :(

My Annie was bought from a guy in Ireland, original packing + another outer carton..... unfortunately it was sent via Parcel force so you can guess the rest. : )

I gave up on the lids after number 2 fell apart :(

My Annie was bought from a guy in Ireland, original packing + another outer carton..... unfortunately it was sent via Parcel force so you can guess the rest. : )
Ouch, I’d never shift on my PT, well the Mrs wouldn’t let me, too many memories, but an Anni is on the radar when I have more space and a few quid spare. Should have kept my SME V in storage, now I guess it will cost me double what I sold it for to buy one again if so manage to get an Anni.

Ouch, I’d never shift on my PT, well the Mrs wouldn’t let me, too many memories, but an Anni is on the radar when I have more space and a few quid spare. Should have kept my SME V in storage, now I guess it will cost me double what I sold it for to buy one again if so manage to get an Anni.

Sold my Annie for around 600 quid.

A Rega RB250/300 works well on them especially if you replace the stock cable with something more flexible.

I wish I had more space here as many moons ago I built a DIY Annie from an old PT 1..... I think the bits are still sat in my parents loft.!

Sold my Annie for around 600 quid.

A Rega RB250/300 works well on them especially if you replace the stock cable with something more flexible.

I wish I had more space here as many moons ago I built a DIY Annie from an old PT 1..... I think the bits are still sat in my parents loft.!
I’ve got an old RB300, sold my other arms in a clear out, in middle of another mini clear out now we’re in a bungalow. £600 someone got a bargain, kicking myself for not snapping one up with a SME 309 arm for £2.5K a couple years back.

Just one observation.. sitting in my spares box I have a Pink armboard SME cut from an older deck. I did notice when I bought the PT Anniv that the Anni board was shallower (not as tall). Make sure you quote which deck you have if you need to order an armboard.

advertisement

Back