advertisement

Pink Floyd

Mullardman said:
A bit like being impressed by the flashing lights on a midi system.
Which is very, very different from being impressed by glowing VUs with dancing needles (he said defensively, his eyes narrowing to reedy slits).

(Ok, so I don't actually have anything with VU meters. Still, I'm really impressed by them.)

Blzebub said:
I've never really listened to anything outside of mainstream rock/pop etc, so that when I heard DSOTM and similar 'landmark' stuff I thought I 'got' something about it that makes me part of a small select group.

Admitting your problem is the first step on the road to recovery :)

Mull

kasperhauser said:
Which is very, very different from being impressed by glowing VUs with dancing needles (he said defensively, his eyes narrowing to reedy slits).

(Ok, so I don't actually have anything with VU meters. Still, I'm really impressed by them.)

Yeah,.. but do you listen to DSOTM on a midi system, watching the flashing lights and saying 'Man.. this really is a landmark and influential piece of music'?

P said:
Trout Mask is the greatest joke ever played on the record buying public in general? (apart from metal machine music obviously)

And from Trout Mask replica we lurch to the Trout-faced Lou Reed. The best thing about this LP is that it actually caused Bob Ludwig physical pain to master...

Like TMR you need to "get" MMM. Lester Bangs "got" it when he correcectly Identified Beethoven's Eroica and Pastoral lurking inside it and this review correctly makes the connection bewteen Jimi Hendrix, Igor Stravinsky and strips of bamboo being pushed under the fingernails.

The reason why Audiophiles cannot accept the message contained in MMM is because they need to hear it on an 8-Track machine. Preferably in the car with the hard metallic tang of quality cocaine dribbling from your nose as you drive recklessly (and at speed) across red-lights hoping any moment you'll meet the sweet release of death by impact and impaling on a stick-shift lever**. But hey, thats just the first five minutes -- The MMM experience lasts for an hour; through wich you pass through the entire gamut quasi-spiritual experiences: Death, going into the ground, decay, disassembly, reassembly-by-spirits and finally a return to life (although the vinyl edit endlessly loops) -- the quintessential Shamanic voyage wrapped up in 60 minutes of relentless atonal feedback. And what can "The" Floyd offer? A bit of lefty-righty running at an airport, some creepy laughter and endless discussions about whether that's a pressing flaw or spit in the saxophone causing that disharmony in the third bar of the sax solo of "Us and Them".

Exhibit A: M'lud.

mmm.gif

** Warm, Leatherette.

Metal Machine Music has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

For the 'quintessential Shamanic voyage wrapped up in 60 minutes of relentless atonal feedback', there is really only one contender - Xenakis' La Legende d'Eer. This peaks about 50 minutes in with what sounds like a bulldozer digging your grave, overlaid with the buzz saw that will shortly decapitate you, to the counterpoint of assorted electronic objets trouves.

Recommended.

That's Xenakis for you. Decapitation by buzzsaw... Creepy and messy -- but efficient.

I once recommended in the middle of a Pink Floyd-loving forum that everyone go out and buy Robot vs Rabbit; specifically this LP: which actually deliberately induces migrane (unlike DSOTM which only achieves the same thing by accident).

Oh indeed, RvR is awfully childish but my point is its no more so than the Floyd and their endless whining about money, drugs and how short life is etc etc etc...

Its always worth working out if a record is released on the cusp of a final contractural obligation -- as I believe MMM was. But TMR wasn't.

"Wave upon wave of demented avangers march cherfully out of obercurity in to the dream" Sheep PF
Where else can you get lyrics like that!
Cheers
John

Midlandaudiox said:
"Wave upon wave of demented avangers march cherfully out of obercurity in to the dream" Sheep PF
Where else can you get lyrics like that!
Cheers
John

any school sixth form - usually the wierd kid in the corner who can't make eye contact and wears a black t shirt.

Kevin

Mullardman said:
Yeah,.. but do you listen to DSOTM on a midi system, watching the flashing lights and saying 'Man.. this really is a landmark and influential piece of music'?
No comment. No further questions, please.

advertisement

Back