advertisement

Pink Floyd

I went for the self titled, I remember you saying it was like Zappa.

Its nothing like Zappa just a guy with a slightly out of tune voice and backing band doing dreary backing duties.

Sigh. Nevermind We'll see what Faust is like when it arrives ;)

Ah, this one?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...9287/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/202-1527093-1126252

That's not the best choice :)

You may want to try this instead:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...374/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_2_12/202-1527093-1126252

Which Faust did you go for? The second LP, So Far, or the fourth, Faust IV, are probably the two you are most likely to immediately get the hang of.

Edit: PM me your snail mail address and I'll burn a sampler or two for you, might give you ideas for some things to explore and other things you're not keen on.

-- Ian

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ian I am feeling a big bag of forgiveness coming on as Spring Heel Jack 'Disappeared' has just arrived and sounds rather good.

I will however take you up on your offer.

You've got Trout Mask Replica as well, and some Beatles records. You weirdo.

BTW, "portentious" isn't even a remotely cromulent word.

"Cromulent" is good. The OED has portentious as "Pretentious; pompous". Amerkans still spell it portentous, an older form.

-- Ian

Blzebub said:
Agreed re rebarbative (which I had to look up). A wonderful word, seemingly purpose-designed for Yes, Genesis, Steely Dan, Mahler, Wagner, Coltrane, et al.

It's not a word one hears (sees) all that often. Applying reasonable deductive principles, it appears to mean "reminding one to regrow a beard", so could very well apply to OSM as well, potentially, as your examples above. Having looked it up myself, seems I wasn't far out, really.

I agree very strongly with parts of this thread (filaments?), but by no means all of it. I agree with Bub about Coltrane, and I can't logically back it up -- probably my loss, but there you go. "Sketches of Spain"? -- Yes, please, different thing entirely. This is good, though:

kasperhauser said:
Everything everybody else likes sucks. The more they like it, the suckier it sucks.

This is possibly quite true. I'll never forget being at one of those Naim Forum gatherings at the Bristol show some years ago where forum members surreptitiously attempt to recognise each other without asking, and try to get Doug to play the CD they've brought. I'm fairly certain to this day that, in a spirit of truely Dev(il)ish audio terrorism, all of them had brought deliberately ghastly stuff in an effort to out-ghastly the others. Never in all my days have I heard such a concentrated collection of lifeless, dirgy, over-produced drivel, in comparison with which IMHO, DSOTM comes out pretty well.

Thank you very much, Mark.

fox said:
... I have finally realised that DSOTM is, effectively just another audiophile's special effects record without any actual musical bits...
This is simply not true. An example off the top of my head is the beautiful piano 'n sax bitz on "Us and them". Anyway, I know you are just on the wind.

DSOTM was and is an immensely innovative record, highly influential, and still sounds fresh today. So ner.

sideshowbob said:
You've got Trout Mask Replica as well, and some Beatles records. You weirdo.

Ah but how often does he play it?

Trout Mask Replica is a very fine LP. In my 20 years of loving-then-hating-then-despising-then-adoring this work of obstreperous sagacity I have come to regard it as the Wasabi of audiophile records. After the initial look of "Jesus christ what the **** is this crap?" the fixed grin and the facial rictus kick in... (and you can see the poor audiophile's eyeballs looking-about in wild confusion that says: "B...B...But it was an Audiophile Approved pressing... I am supposed to like this!).

I take particular delight in stringing the unwary TMR-virgin along and going "oh the second track's really a lot better"... and then "On the next song after this they totally change style" etc etc etc.

Just how much Wasabi can a the poor audiophile take before running back to the nipple of Pink Floyd, Coldplay, Steely Dan, Pat Metheney etc...

A masterpiece of brilliance, bullshit and audiophile deception... a great LP BTW. Shows the dreary list above as seeming somewhat otiose... dare I hazard even... nugatory?

Blzebub said:
This is simply not true. An example off the top of my head is the beautiful piano 'n sax bitz on "Us and them".

Aimless noodling. Audio felching. Nothing more.

Anyway, I know you are just on the wind.

When am I not?

Y'know I still can't help thinking that Trout Mask is the greatest joke ever played on the record buying public in general? (apart from metal machine music obviously)

Guess you just had to be "there"

DSOTM sounds quite good on SACD

P

fox said:
A masterpiece of brilliance, bullshit and audiophile deception... a great LP BTW. Shows the dreary list above as seeming somewhat otiose... dare I hazard even... nugatory?

Shameless plagiarism - PFM can sink no lower. I'm off to listen to my original copy of Trout Mask Replica and to lick my decals.

I do confess to having listened quite often to Dark Side of the Moon when I was 14 years old, and thinking it was rather wonderful then. Now, it comes across as a rather dull funereal dirge, lacking any real insight, drive, or transcendent energy - by extreme contrast, these are qualities which characterise Coltrane so well.

I do think that jazz has lost its way post-Coltrane, with some rare exceptions (although I would love to be proved wrong); however composers such as James Dillon, Brian Ferneyhough, Harrison Birtwistle and Tristan Murail are writing music today which is extraordinary.

fox said:
Ah but how often does he play it?

Never, no question. I played "The Dust Blows Forward and the Dust Blows Back" off it when I was there, but I don't think Bub was in the room at the time, as we managed to get all the way through it with no fisticuffs.

It's a magnificent record, but it did take me a while to understand it. I fell in love with his other records immediately, but I had to work at that one. It was worth the effort.

-- Ian

Not exactly never, as I have a grand total of 18 other records and CDs to choose from (including five versions of DSOTM). I really don't think it's very good, though.

I do think that jazz has lost its way post-Coltrane,
He was the one who took it "off road". Emperor's new clothes.

fox said:
Trout Mask Replica Aimless noodling. Audio felching. Nothing more.
Apologies for butchering your post fox, but TMR is truely shite. I gave it a number a goes, but it failed miserably. Bunch of f**cked up stoners who deserved a good kicking. (I'm sure this is what punk was for)

...and this from a Beefheart fan...

<this post is proud to be Floyd free>

What a delightful thread!

Great arguments, superb erudition and some very long words, which I like.

I find myself agreeing and disagreeing in equal measure, sort of..

Floyd, in my estimation have done nothing worthwhile since..oooh.. Ummagumma.. They became a one joke band.

I've been sitting here trying to hypothesise why a certain type of 'music lover' goes for such as DSOTM and other, equally dull stuff. I know what I want to say but can't quite articulate it. It's something about them never really having listened to anything outside of mainstream rock/pop etc, so that when they hear DSOTM and similar 'landmark' stuff they think they 'get' something about it that makes them part of a small select group ( of oh..... as few as 250 million folk) who are real afficionados. A bit like being impressed by the flashing lights on a midi system.

At least that's what I think I'm trying to say.

Mull

I've never really listened to anything outside of mainstream rock/pop etc, so that when I heard DSOTM and similar 'landmark' stuff I thought I 'got' something about it that makes me part of a small select group.

advertisement

Back