advertisement

Pink Floyd Exhibition at the V&A in London

We went today. A very good exhibition indeed, and on a par with the V&A's "You Say You Want a Revolution? Records and Rebels 1966-1970" show from a year or two back.
It is a little revisionist, however. At least three different points in the exhibition it's claimed that Barrett left the band, whereas it was, apparently, the other way around.
From Wikipedia (yes, I know!):- "The other band members soon grew tired of Barrett's antics and, on 26 January 1968, when Waters was driving on the way to a show at Southampton University, the band elected not to pick Barrett up: one person in the car said, "Shall we pick Syd up?" and another said, "Let's not bother.""

Mick

Damn it, book arrived today badly packed with corner dinged in, so I've just organised a return/replace. I've not opened it but it looks like a very nice thing with a similar heft to the Bowie and a rather nice 3d cover.

Mine arrived today, ding-free fortunately. Looks good, similar to the Bowie book but with, I would imagine, rather less text as the font is much larger.

A non-dinged copy arrived half an hour ago, looks very good indeed. A lovely heavy thing like the Bowie book with an intro and history of the band, including some musical deconstruction from Howard Goodall which should be very interesting, and then a look at each of the albums and related artefacts. A heck of a lot of book for £26!

Thanks for the heads up on the exhibition book, my copy arrived today - it’s a super item very pleased I decided to take a punt on a copy.

We went earlier this week with my wife. I was amazed she enjoyed it, she hates PF. Went by train... check out https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/off...va-pink-floyd-exhibition-their-mortal-remains

Cost £20 for us both... bargain. You don't have to travel on greater Anglia rail. We live in Bushey, Herts. So just bought a 1 day travel card instead of using Oyster. Made the day out much more affordable. Worth checking out if you like DSOTM, WYWH era. The wall section was very well done too.

Went today. Utterly superb! A must if you like anything Pink Floyd. Apart from being educational it also reinforced how revolutionary they were in the rock/pop scene and how they invented a lot of what is standard in todays music and music videos.
There were mini desks fitted where you could mix in the keyboards, bass, drums, guitar 1, guitar 2 etc on "Money" and all came through your headphones that you were issued with as part of the exhibition. I could have spend the whole day in there!

I got tickets for my birthday, so we'll be visiting the exhibition on the 15th July!

We went a few weeks ago , great fun and very well presented . Mrs Rosie loved playing with the mixing desk . Disappointed by some of the exhibition attendees. 50 + year old men with rucksacks warring exhibition headphones disorientated standing in doorways , bumping into people , backing into people and then standing three abreast six inches in front of display cabinets blocking them for everyone else .
You forget how gray early 60's London was and what a huge change and explosion of colour came with psychedelia .

Managed to have gone twice now and I think it is really really excellent as a whole. Too little of some things and too much of others but overall excellent. I also found the whole thing overwhelmingly emotional and I realised that I could track much of my life through their music. ( theirs and John Martyn's!), I should add I am not acritical about their music. I struggle with The Wall and The Final Cut is beyond me but from the beginning through to Animals my life is clearly tracked! I would recommend it to any one with a passing interest in the Floyd. Nice touch with an old red telephone kiosk full of the news of the time with each stage of the exhibition.

Went yesterday with my 16yo son, both of us really enjoyed it, my Pink Floyd era was DSOTM to Division Bell, but I thought the whole exhibition was fabulous. Some of little video shorts from people who worked for PF in the day were fascinating.

At busy points it is difficult to move around as everyone has headphones on!! You just have to be patient and go with the flow.

My 16yo son had no real idea who PF were!! He does now........

I've put a few pictures in the photo room, if anyone is interested. I've put them in a separate thread, so you can easily avoid if you want to be surprised on the day.

My family and I visited the Pink Floyd Exhibition at the V&A in London yesterday. First of all, I have to say that there was a wide range of age groups, so the clichés of the middle aged hipster with the pony tail and black T-Shirt are not true!

It was an excellent afternoon, busy as expected, but not to the point where it prevented you from seeing everything.

On arrival, you are given a receiver and headphones and throughout the exhibition, there are little videos relating to the display in question. I personally like Pink Floyd up to the wish you were here period, after that they seemed to be more concerned with inflatable animals etc!

It's worth spending some time watching all the videos. The shop has a good selection of merchandise, LPs CDs etc. I bought the hard back version of the official catalogue (£40) and Nick Mason's 'Inside out; A personal history of Pink Floyd' (softback edition at £12.99).

We enjoyed it & I may revisit at some point.

The book is also a heavy thing to be lunking around That London all day, so I bought mine from Amazon as above a few weeks ago. It is as nice as the David Bowie Is book, and similarly exceptional value. Current price on that is just £22, I'm astounded there is any profit to be made there, it feels like more than that just in raw materials. Every fan of both artists needs both books IMO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Every fan of both artists needs both books IMO.

Yes, I got the Bowie Book for Christmas. The Floyd book is heavy, but we visited the shop last thing and then went straight to the station,so it wasn't too bad!

I went on Friday afternoon with my daughter, whose childhood was accompanied by PF tracks. We were both very impressed.

advertisement

Back