advertisement

Photo theme #16: BOKEH (May 13–25)

2516142207_7c9ca5b20a.jpg

2518643088_d74fda9b87_o.jpg

"Nice Bokeh Shame about the Picture"

A couple of others I like a bit more but are less bokehery.

Matthew,

You need to get yourself a star filter and retake that first one to get the full bling hollywood effect. I like the second one with the mask.

Bokeh isn't all about backgrounds that look like watercolours. It's easy to get that sort of wash look but a decent lens with decent bokeh gives a soft out of focus look which is very pleasing for stuff just outside the focal plane, and that's what I personally find interesting to play with.

Cesare

Yes Cesare, I agree with you - I think in hindsight my shots are too much background blur, not enough bokeh.

I've put the entries in one post for easier viewing.

Pete, mad/bad
DSC_0085.jpg

Uzinusa
Bokeh-Ball.jpg

Cesare
2498668665_634848bdba_o.jpg

Artioneer
img623.jpg

Steveinspain
IMG_9259editresizedBokeh.jpg

Cliff Patterson
2500372358_40b6e61f50_o.jpg

Kit Taylor
2501544355_dddc91151b_o.png

Omers
IMGP5314.JPG

Guybat
2502375961_c02ab1ae9f_o.jpg

Re-Joyce
2510449153_bbdd52fa5b_o.jpg

concrete
2512335236_e496a3f9ac.jpg

RichardH
2512733141_eee9f78cf4_o.jpg

James
7297247-lg.jpg

Cav
Bokeh%20007.JPG

pleaser, purple
2512347032_bbf93e7e01.jpg

pete, mental
2514177031_ed653149a6.jpg

Stevied
2516142207_7c9ca5b20a.jpg

Matthew "ZOMG!Laz0rsPEWPEWPEW!!11!" r
2518643088_d74fda9b87_o.jpg

Lots of good entries, making it hard to choose just one, but after poring over the pix I've awarded bragging rights to Omer for his masterpiece, rabid dog and blurred mother-in-law.

Congratulations, Omer. Feel free to start a new theme.

Joe

Congratulations to Omer, the blurry figure on the left of the dog was like something out of a sci-fi movie.

What happened to Vuk? I know it's not midnight in Canada yet and only just past 2pm in blighty.

Cliff

PS Joe, I hope you were poring or even pawing over them rather than pouring over them ;)

Alright chaps, some fantastic shots so far!

Have I understood bokeh correctly with this pic below? I'm not too bothered about it being a good picture or not just thought I'd ask some of you knowledgeable chaps opinion, I'm pretty new to all this so go easy if I've got it wrong!!

guitar1.jpg

Matt, thats a nicely composed picture (albeit probably a crop)

Bokeh has many aspects - too many to list, but includes

- nice fade from in focus to out of focus
- gentle separation of in focus from bits you don't want the viewer to concentrate on
- interesting highlights from out of focus areas to jazz up an image
- a way to generate 3 dimensional effect from foreground and background blur and the Object in focus.

etc etc etc

Cliff,

Sorry, there's a mistake in the theme's title. The theme ended a minute to midnight yesterday (Joe time). See the first post -- "The contest runs from May 13 (this very second) until May 24 23:59 EDT."

Joe

P.S. I'm poring now.

Thanks cliff, yeah I had to crop it for the size limit also loads of blank background from the top of the image as it made it look rubbish IMO, are crops bad?

Matt,

Crops aren't bad per se, but it's good habit to take the picture you wanted when you took the picture.

Joe

Ahh I see, it would've looked rubbish though cause I had the camera on its side so got a lot of space above the body of the guitar, I'm not sure how I could've altered that without cropping it TBH. still, not bad for a point and shoot lol.

Given that the guitar is wider than it is deep, shooting it landscape would have made sense, but it sometimes depends on the capability of your lens. I have one 50mm lens which only focuses down to 1 metre, making it impossible to take the shot you did without cropping. I also have a Sigma zoom which on a crop body (eg the S5 Pro) could probably take the shot uncropped - well actually cropped by the sensor size :)

PS The Rich GR II has a 1*1 option too :)

I've awarded bragging rights to Omer for his masterpiece, rabid dog and blurred mother-in-law.

Congratulations, Omer. Feel free to start a new theme.

Joe

Thanks Joe and Cliff and Vuk from earlier, I kind of lost hope after all the excellent entries.

I would like to thank Chance, my half brother's dog, and my mother in law, both of whom hopefully never find out about it. Speaking of bragging rights.

Omer.

Hi, Joe

Wife says I should have won ;-) But I think Cesare or RichardH should share the win with Omer

Pete

advertisement

Back