advertisement

Phonography

Street stall at night

27532140017_9910822cee_c.jpg

I don't actually own one, but I certainly don't have an issue with smartphones as cameras, or even excellent cameras. They are just a tool, a means to an end, and any camera, however clever, is ultimately only as good as the person using it. In the majority of cases that I have seen, that isn't all that good, and in a few cases it is excellent. Just like DSLRs, 35mm, full frame, medium frame, compacts etc, etc.

I have noticed a tendency for smartphone software to render photos oddly, ultra-sharp, almost like a detailed painting. Amar's wheatfield a page or so back is a case in point. I don't like it, but as I say, I suspect the effect is from software rather than the camera/phone itself.

What I like is the opportunity. This was taken yesterday in Cambridgeshire. Had a chat with the guys fitting (is that the right word?) a new thatched roof. This chap was mildly reluctant to be in the main pics I took, but after five minutes discussing his 37 years experience stood for this picture below. I like the resemblance to the posed pictures that were rather more necessary back in the day.

41781800355_bacc59414e_c.jpg

One from the archives - a shot taken and edited on my phone during my trip to The Peak District last year :)

43389356745_afb7811429_c.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S7

Lefty

if you'd had a peasant woman in there hauling a pile of sticks on her back, it would have been one of the best photos ever.

Bristol Temple Meads this evening: First-GWR finally delivers a decent, recently-rebuilt locomotive.

60103 Flying Scotsman heads the Cathedrals Express charter - as a double-header backed with a fine Stannier Black 5 (No. 44872)

IMG_3985_800px.jpg

iPhone Se / in-phone 'silvertone' adjustment

Sadly I had to run for my own, more-repugnant service...

Spent a lot of time around there as a child.

Excellent - it's a really nice place. Not strictly local as we are in Milton Keynes but we were in Dunstable for Sunday lunch so seemed rude not to visit The Downs afterwards :)

Amar, what's going on in the sky in the Dunstable Downs photo?

They are artefacts from the editing process. (Edited using Snapseed on my phone). The jpg files from the S9+ are not as malleable as the RAW files of the Sony A7rII.

Lefty

They are artefacts from the editing process. (Edited using Snapseed on my phone). The jpg files from the S9+ are not as malleable as the RAW files of the Sony A7rII.

OK thanks; it adds a painting quality, almost like an 'old master'

@John Barry - thanks for the kind words. That's actually what I felt about the result too (and influenced the direction I took when processing it) but I don't mind admitting it was more a happy accident than anything intentional :D

Lefty

The camera on the X, and the XS is impressive. Great shots. I moved from a 7+ to the X(s) and it's a huge leap, especially for low light.

The camera on the X, and the XS is impressive. Great shots. I moved from a 7+ to the X(s) and it's a huge leap, especially for low light.

I think the sensor has had an increase in size on the Xs and even better post processing so you’re in for a treat with it.

advertisement

Back