advertisement

Phono stage recommendations

My huge thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to offer up some alternatives to consider. One unit that hasn't been put forward is the Lehmann Black Cube at £350 or so. Has anyone compared this to, say, the Dynavector. It is quite a lot cheaper?

I have used a Black Cube, an Ear 834p and the DV P75ii. I thought the DV was miles better than the Black Cube and significantly better than the 834p.

You should get a secondhand Tom Evans Microgroove + easily under budget.
I really rate mine, though with an Ortofon cartridge, not Dynavector.

A bargain SH. Really not a lot between this and the Groove. Brilliant with the 12 perhaps less so with more neutral turntables cos it is a bit clinical wot the LP 12 aint.

I also use a Microgroove Plus on my LP12/Ittok (AT33EV), and I used to have Naim (202/200) - I thought the synergy between TE and Naim was excellent. I must confess I didn't try lots of different stages, but I did prefer it to a Linto.

the Graham slee reflex is excellent for mm, very musical sounding indeed. ps must be left powered up all the time, and benefits from support.

I have recently tried new Avid Pellar phono stage and was really impresed with its performance. It was used in Avid/ SME/ Dynavector XX2 / Naim system. Pellar retails at 600£, so tad higher than your budget. It can accomodate all type of carts i.e. MM/MC high/ MC low so gives nice flexibility.
Alternatevly check s/h offers on http://audio-markt.de/ which has some very interesting listings.

Good luck with your hunting,
regards,
roman

There is a second hand Loricraft phono stage on eBay at the moment. It's worth considering.

This is a fantastic piece of kit. I had one and loved it. Is Jonathan Ribee's phono stage quest anywhere still, a read through that should be illuminating..

The Loricraft was almost the answer, but in the end something significantly more expensive was the victor....

advertisement

Back