advertisement

Phono stage recommendations

Mr Magoo

Hello. How are you?
I'm putting together a vinyl based system and would welcome recommendations for inclusion on a shortlist of phono stages to check out. I'll have an LP12 with Ittok and a Dynavector 17D3 cart. Amps are Naim's 200 and 282. Can be new or used up to around £500.
Many thanks.

Another nice touch is to send the Ittok to Johnnie at Audio Origami for a re wire in Ikeda pure silver. ;)

You had two identical tonearms, two identical cartridges ,running through a phono stage with two inputs ,changed the wiring on one arm and compared them?

Keith.

Check out how we do things at Tiger Paw on our website.

Lets not detract from the OP's question on which we seem to in part at least agree on. :)

Thanks for the pointer to the DV. I'll be sure to check it out. Any others I should shortlist?

Naim Prefix with a Naim SNAPS power supply. This gets the amplification up close and personal with the connector on the base of the arm removing the need for an connecting lead and the tedious messing about with the P clip. Expect to pay between £300 - £400 for the Prefix and SNAPS together, sell your existing interconnect to back off the cost.

This combination easily beat my P75 II.

malcolm

Yes indeed, it's a nice mix if he can fit the prefix.

A Prefix won't cost £200 second hand. Peter usually has them in at Cymbiosis, I paid £120 for mine.

Yes, I think the key here is to listen to the phono stage in your system.
In my (admittedly limited) experience they can have widely differing results.
I tried a £600 two box unit into my Nait 3 and, frankly, the internal MM stage was better.
although I repeat, this was in my system and the guy I sold the other unit on to was most impressed with it in his.
Good luck with your search
Cheers
Steve

You should get a secondhand Tom Evans Microgroove + easily under budget.
I really rate mine, though with an Ortofon cartridge, not Dynavector.

Desperately downmarket, but you might consider a Cambridge Audio 651....£120, mm and mc. I have compared it, on a very expensive set-up, to phonostages costing £5000. It doesn't beat, or even match them, but it comes far closer than you might expect.. It's better than some stuff costing an awful lot more.
But as I said, too downmarket?I only heard one by accident, and it has taught me not to be such a hi fi snob.. It won't really limit any system under (say) £10,000. Not to my ears.

At the price you quote a second hand Tome Evans Groove should be considered. Tom uses Dynavector cartridges himself.

Nic P

I've just bought a second-hand Rothwell Rialto which I'm quite pleased with. At full price it might have a fight on its hands, but used, they're quite a bargain.

advertisement

Back