advertisement

Phono stage recommendation

So I've been told recently by a friend that bought one, apparently wipes the floor with his Whest 2.2 or Croft with SUT, apparently as quiet as the Whest and more preferable to either in SQ.
The RSL is apparently excellent as well.

Also it is blooming musical, imaging is superb with a big sound stage.

I’ve just placed an order of the Bigbottle mk3.

You might want to give Paul at RFC a call (01453 549498) as he has one and has been having a lot of noise issues with his Mk3! It is a DIY design so not the same as a proper production piece like the other makes mentioned higher up in this thread which have gone through a proper development stage before being offered to market.

You might want to give Paul at RFC a call (01453 549498) as he has one and has been having a lot of noise issues with his Mk3! It is a DIY design so not the same as a proper production piece like the other makes mentioned higher up in this thread which have gone through a proper development stage before being offered to market.
I have read page 11
https://audioaddictsforum.com/thread/1395/rfc-bb3-build?page=12

It’s Oliver (Bigman80) himself will build this up for me.

Some great reviews on the RSL Phono, could I ask which phonostage’s You have compared it to?[/QUOTE

Jez Arkless Turbo, which l still own and like.

Project Phono Box RS.

Art Audio Vinyl One ( Definitive Audiio version) with punchy valves, cabling and caps, the RSL gives the AA aseious run for its money l can tell you.

The RSL reminds me of The Tom Evans Groove phono stage but warmer and more forgiving.

The RSL reminds me of The Tom Evans Groove phono stage but warmer and more forgiving.

The Art Audio Vinyl One looks to be a superb piece of kit!

The RSL is certainly on my shortlist for a new phono stage and Kit is a very friendly/helpful chap indeed!

I think momentum for the Bigbottle mk3 is rapidly gathering pace, it’s certainly getting some rave reviews!

Yep, having said that nearly every phono stage on this thread has had rave reviews, I honestly don't think that I have read or heard of any of them being 'bad' phonostages, in fact they're probably all excellent whether Tron, T.E.A.D, Trichord, EAR, RSL, Aurorasound or Bigbottle, just different, real nice choice to have.

Yep, having said that nearly every phono stage on this thread has had rave reviews, I honestly don't think that I have read or heard of any of them being 'bad' phonostages, in fact they're probably all excellent whether Tron, T.E.A.D, Trichord, EAR, RSL, Aurorasound or Bigbottle, just different, real nice choice to have.

Think that’s quite true mate. As I’m in the market for a new phono, the choice is quite daunting! Think I only one you haven’t listed is the Goldnote PH10, which also looks quite tasty?

Think that’s quite true mate. As I’m in the market for a new phono, the choice is quite daunting! Think I only one you haven’t listed is the Goldnote PH10, which also looks quite tasty?

There does seem to be some superb VFM phono stages around at the moment.:D

Also what sound are you looking for?:)

There does seem to be some superb VFM phono stages around at the moment.:D

Also what sound are you looking for?:)

My current phonos are Icon Audio PS3 mk1 and a Rothwell Simplex MM through an MFA SUT.( the Rothwell I picked up as an interim/spare while choosing and I’ve got to say through the SUT it’s a decent bit of kit!)
It’s a difficult question as to what sound I’m looking for, I’ve always been a big believer in listening and buying what you like to listen to.
However I like the PS3 in an all valve system and I think the best description I’ve heard of the sound is”big and ballsy”, if there’s such a thing?
Further to your recommendation I’ve been in touch with Kit and in the next few weeks he’s going to get a loan unit to me, so fingers crossed for that!

Just forgot it, nothing intentional, it too has had good reviews though I'm not sure I've read anything from owners, very well equipped and seems to have won a host of awards and best buys, etc

My current phonos are Icon Audio PS3 mk1 and a Rothwell Simplex MM through an MFA SUT.( the Rothwell I picked up as an interim/spare while choosing and I’ve got to say through the SUT it’s a decent bit of kit!)
It’s a difficult question as to what sound I’m looking for, I’ve always been a big believer in listening and buying what you like to listen to.
However I like the PS3 in an all valve system and I think the best description I’ve heard of the sound is”big and ballsy”, if there’s such a thing?
Further to your recommendation I’ve been in touch with Kit and in the next few weeks he’s going to get a loan unit to me, so fingers crossed for that!

I would of described the EAR 834 having a 'big and ballsy' sound, that was in an all valve system, I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the BB once you have it running.

I would of described the EAR 834 having a 'big and ballsy' sound, that was in an all valve system, I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the BB once you have it running.

It’s the RSL that’s coming on demo to me, iceman16 has the BB mk3 on order, like you I’ll be very interested how he goes on with it.

advertisement

Back