• Two boards, stereo front end and stereo EQ

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • One big board

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm probably being a bit unobservant, but is the full schematic available on the thread anywhere. I'll be needing a phono stage in the near future and was hoping to use this.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

I think that you need to look at earlier postings that that link to DIYaudio, not sure if I will get in hot water with Tony here for posting a link but here goes:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/114339-discrete-phono-preamp-designs-6.html

I'm looking to mount the pre inside my LP12 but will need to source an ARO connector from somewhere to do that, not sure if Naim will supply one.

Cheers

Martin

I'll have a look, but the Hitachi parts were made by a special epi process, and I doubt anybody else can imitate it.

Let me see.

On the positive side, for MM use, BC550/560 is a fine alternative; the very low voltage noise is not needed, as the Johnson noise from the much higher source impedance dominates anyhow, and there is the option of the JFET circuit as well.

What would the J-fet circuit look like please? I've bought 2sk170's recently for various projects so it would be great for me if they were suitable, and although they are out of production they are readily available on ebay and diyaudio. The Salas J-fet MM/MC phono stage uses them so hopefully they are suitable here.

As an aside I managed to buy 1085's and 2546's - one came from ebay and the other dalbani I think, but that was around 2 months ago.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread. Has anyone built this yet? Given that a board GB never took off I'm currently trying to build a relatively compact version on veroboard for a pre-amp project. I intend to use Salas shunt regs for the first stages, not yet decided on the +/-24V regs - either more Salas regs or possibly a TPR-type reg. Mine will be a lo-MC version with polystyrene RIAA caps.

I gave up on the project after getting some of the difficult to source parts... anyway, ended up building a preamp modelled after the 47 labs phonocube. Ended up making the buffered version and used some boutique parts and used a seperate shunt power supply, result was that my Linn Linto resides in it's box in the cupboard.

Link to Richard Murdeys DIY site below:

http://phonoclone.com

The Paradise is the best phono I've had in the house by quite a margin, Superline and Uphorik not coming close. It's not even in a box yet.

That little phonoclone is also quite well regarded.

I've built two Salas j-fet stages and the Doug Self op-amp based stage. The Salas stage is much better than the op-amp stage which in turn easily bettered the phono stage in an Exposure VII. When the time is right I'll start putting pictures up, it's still in early stages at at the minute...

Did anyone get one of these completed? I plan on building one in the next couple of months to find out where it stacks up against the Paradise and Salas JFet designs. The input transistors did prove difficult to find but I don't believe there to be many modern alternatives. I managed to get enough for three of these phono stages if I remember.

I gave mine to Sharif it was such a pain in the arse, it requires major fiddling and the designer will not provide support.

advertisement

Back