Votes: 1 3.0%
  • One big board

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PigletsDad

My intelligence test came back negative.
Nobody has come forward to design a board, so this may be a moot question, but there are several different ways the functionality can be split up.

There are two sections to the circuit, the front end (which has different components for different cartridge types) and the equalisation stage.

Then you need two channels, so these can be combined or split as the case may be.

If you would be interested in a Group Buy of a boards for a phono stage, which would you prefer:

As long as they all have enough room to replace any caps with stupid boutique parts I don't think many of use really care that much. Four boards gives you more perimeter to dangle your coke can size caps over, so i'll vote for that.

I voted Two boards, each a complete channel as I believe it may help to simplify board design and may be helpfull with board cost's.

Nobody has come forward to design a board

I thought Carl had bagged this one.

It looks as though Carl has done quite a bit of work already so I think its just a matter of waiting for him to make headway with his work load asuming he still has interest.

Am I right in thinking that if we had separate boards for the front end we could configure various sets of those for different cartridge types and switch between them? (And different equalizations too maybe)
If so I think I would vote for 4 boards.

Guy

Am I right in thinking that if we had separate boards for the front end we could configure various sets of those for different cartridge types and switch between them? (And different equalizations too maybe)
If so I think I would vote for 4 boards.

Guy

Yes, if you want you could have say an MM front end and an MC and switch between them.

Different EQ is a more exotic use case; maybe for pre-RIAA 78s or very exotic cartridges. For 33rpm vinyl, standard RIAA is, well, the standard!

I voted for a single board just because it'll make for a quick, tidy installation -- two input wires, two output wires, a power supply connection, and you're ready to go.

Thanks PD. That is was what I meant. Equalization just jumped into my head - it is only something I am thinking of playing with for 78s so I will probably address it another ways round.

Guy

I am with Tony on this one - one board per channel. Makes a group-buy a lot easier not having to manage two different board designs.

cheers,
Lorenz

Two boards, one left, one right. They can have seperate supplies then if the builder wishes and can even be built in two seperate boxes for true dual mono as is my current phono stage. I don't see the need to split the boards front/rear and I certainly don't see the need for caps the size of coke cans.

I certainly don't mind doing the layout of a board, so long as:

1) It's of a design that's appealing to the majority
2) You all tear into it without mercy pointing out every little detail that you think could be improved
3) PD reckons it's ok.
4) Y'all remain patient with my workload and slow turnover.

Other than that, sure thing. It's actually quite a relaxing thing to work on... some music, a cheeky Woodford Reserve or two... and it whiles away the hours :)

Well I've voted for one board with the idea that it could go under the hood of the turntable and get rid of the need for an arm cable. But I suppose two boards could be mounted side by side without too much trouble

Hi,

I think one board with plug in front ends for MM/MC. Possibly with a big enough gap down the middle to be cut into two.

Pete

Hi,

I think put the RIAA on the motherboard as well as the PSU, I think its the same on both MM and MC, I have traced the MM circuit if any one wants it.

Pete

I certainly don't mind doing the layout of a board, so long as:

1) It's of a design that's appealing to the majority
2) You all tear into it without mercy pointing out every little detail that you think could be improved
3) PD reckons it's ok.
4) Y'all remain patient with my workload and slow turnover.

Other than that, sure thing. It's actually quite a relaxing thing to work on... some music, a cheeky Woodford Reserve or two... and it whiles away the hours :)

Hi Carl, I would be very happy for you to do the implementation of this design and time is not a problem for me. What package are you using?
I have still to see the schematic...

Tony

Decisions, decisions. I was once asked if I wanted to go on a decision making course but couldn't make up my mind :confused:

I've voted for one board as it's the closest to what I'd like which is one board but with four on-board regs and plug-in front ends. I think we'll also need to cope with various MC output levels in addition to MM.

malcolm

I'm sure that PD will confirm, but IIRC the difference between MM and MC implementations is not circuit but component selection, i.e., plug in front ends are not required...just select the appropriate component mix...

advertisement

Back