advertisement

Phase 1

Go in at phase 7 (A "magic number") you know you want to. It will be a laugh. By my reckoning without stands and 3 stages will leave the drivers at approx the same height as the 100s. They are calllling to you... caaa-aaa-lllling!

What is there to lose? (Apart from possibly a ruptured hernia and compressed vertebrae)

Phase 7 (A "magic number") you know you want to. It will be a laugh. By my reckoning without stands and 3 stages will leave you at the same height as the 100s. They are calllling to you... caaa-aaa-lllling!

What is there to lose? (Apart from possibly a ruptured hernia and compressed vertebrae)

One stage per month?

I don't have the guts, tbh. These are 77 kg £20k-ish loudspeakers, and there is maybe 1 cm clearance in both directions at each corner of the boards. I really don't want to drop them.

If I could get bigger boards, then phase 4 might be a goer.

Speak to Keith at http://www.plasticsandveneers.co.uk/ on 0151 944 7150. For replacement "Balanced Boards". They can also make them thicker. These guys were the guys who used to make them for Mana from MDF and before that chipboard and will happily supply to spec. You'll get about normal 12 sound-stage boards from an 8' x 4' board. Including edging. 12 x boards will be £140-ish or £11 a board. May be VAT on top.

No, you know the drill

You are at Phase 1
Then Mana "Reference" (Phase 2)
Then Phase 4
Then scrabble around scraping coins out of the sofa and old coats and trousers and maybe do a few handjobs to get to Phase 5 (be disappointed)
Then Phase 7

you can choose at that point to say "I'm done" and then I can get Bradders to give you "The Phone call" and talk about the Majesty of his biker chums (who don't really exist).

I thought I there was a special board made for heavier kit that didn't suffer spike sinkage. Maybe the veneer was tougher, I would think it would have to be.

Speak to Keith at http://www.plasticsandveneers.co.uk/ on 0151 944 7150. For replacement "Balanced Boards". They can also make them thicker. These guys were the guys who used to make them for Mana from MDF and before that chipboard and will happily supply to spec. You'll get about normal 12 sound-stage boards from an 8' x 4' board. Including edging. 12 x boards will be £140-ish or £11 a board. May be VAT on top.

Thanks. I'd only need two for the top layer. Before I do anything, I would really appreciate your expert opinion on the current setup.

P.S. hilarious edit.

The special board introduced after the STEALTHs had a -- shall we say -- "fracture scenario" (IanW can fill in the deets as it was for a show I was not at) was for the Stealth amps was... "thicker MDF" Ta Daa!

Bub, I only play act an expert on the Internet like all of us by speaking very very very very very confidently (MickP taught me all I know). I can for extra prizes stroke my chin and nod and frown at the same time.

I also get to eat my own crayons, how freaking cool is that?

3 x Stereo Stealths + glass plus amp rack would be way heavier than ATC150s but they were static, maybe a bit of movement around 50Hz. Speakers OTOH are wildly dynamic. They exert pressure at weird intervals and times and ways. Best to veer on the side of caution. Thicker. Wider.

I think stumo's had his 150s on Mana for a few years. I may be wrong.

But yes, thicker, wider sounds good.

Arf. I want to be the pony who isn't in the gay sex orgy.

I actually think phase 1 has nailed it, I may be wrong. These are very good speakers.

I cannot answer until Gerard had given the the all clear he had put me on ignore.

Bub, I do expect in my very very very very confident (bullshitting) voice a single platform would be enough and I doubt really that you need the board. Level it with a board then plonk the 150s with skirts. Straight on top. Level speakers are happy speakers. Machine levelling anti vibration feet are all you need but you do like to make things difficult for yourself with spikes n stuff.

Nothing ever changes here I see ;)

Comme ca:

DSC_0229.gif

I cannot answer until Gerard had given the the all clear he had put me on ignore.

Bub, I do expect in my very very very very confident (bullshitting) voice a single platform would be enough and I doubt really that you need the board. Level it with a board then plonk the 150s with skirts. Straight on top. Level speakers are happy speakers. Machine levelling anti vibration feet are all you need but you do like to make things difficult for yourself with spikes n stuff.

I have little doubt there is "more to come", as they say, and may venture to the dizzying height of phase 2. Major lobing and monkey-crap dance will follow (with pictures).

I'm still a bit concerned about the sinkage. And the dispersion, obviously.

(...and I quite like the dig above at "nothing changes", when Bub has just changed speakers and ditched three tons of angle iron.)

Glad you got it sorted out James.

I look forward to your new phases with huge anticipation.

advertisement

Back