advertisement

PFM's Picture a Week 2024

Malmo two weeks ago.

embed

embed

embed

embed

Not really one to share images outside of my Instagram feed but I thought I would share this one here as I'm just so excited about it. It's part of my submission to this year's Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize and really hoping that if they select any (of the six) I entered, it will be this one.

Purgatorial Shadows by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Story/caption:
Sun baked concrete, grey and tough as an elephant's hide, hummed and whirred with the cicada like chirrup of small wheels. Standing and observing these freewheeling souls crisscrossing the skate park in undulating lines one figure stands out; his lean torso and wiry arms garlanded with the lines of self-harm, his face a rough hue of effort and toil and yet, set steadily and with steel like determination, a pair of resolute blue eyes, blade sharp and piercing. I speak to him and he is at once conciliatory and engaged. His story is obvious; a huge sea of mental health trauma in which he barely floats, mostly sinks and drowns. Skating keeps him afloat. His nature is easy to see as sincere and authentic but I sense he spends a good deal of time, rocking back and forth like a purgatorial shadow.

A terrific portrait, albeit not a beautiful one!

Very best of luck with Taylor Wessing, that's quite something. Have you had any successful submissions previously?

A terrific portrait, albeit not a beautiful one!
Thank you! I don't ever set out to make my portraits traditionally beautiful, although I do look for an aesthetic beauty of sorts, in the same sort of way that Bruce Gilden does.

Very best of luck with Taylor Wessing, that's quite something. Have you had any successful submissions previously?

I have yes; I've been selected for exhibition the last two years running. Hoping to make this a hat trick!

Spent much of this morning going through some old prints (some up to 40 years old) and amongst the many ones of motorcycling, found this. Out on the 'Maggot' one sunny afternoon - if anyone feels their modern bike isn't handling quite right, take a CX500 out and get the pegs down on a bumpy corner...

CX500 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Dreadful quality (sorry!) owing to scanning a print. Still, great memories.

advertisement

Back