advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard - love the colours from that D700 - natural yet vibrant.

Mr P - 161222 Shrewsbury Dana Prison 01 is excellent

Drummerman - I prefer the first one too. The colour in the sky gives the image an appealing warmth

Here are 2 different interpretations of the same scene, taken yesterday morning. The first is a more conventional image (25 second long exposure), whilst the second is an abstract / impressionistic interpretation of the exact same scene influenced heavily by my recent foray into painting. Personally, I much prefer the second image :)

Caldecotte Lake by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Fuji X-T2 / XF16-55mm f2.8 / Format Hitech Firecrest 10 Stop ND 3.0

Into the unknown by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Lefty

Thanks Jem :)

I was largely inspired by your comments yesterday. I've got a few more ICM images which I will post over the next few days. The great thing about these type of images is they look good printed too.

Lefty

Lefty

You guys really make me take note. I am (almost ready to pull the trigger on a Fuji).

The first b&w image makes me notice the technical effort that has gone into it. I guess its not easy to make something relatively simple look stunning. You really don't lack imagination.

The second (abstract) is something I would probably hang on my wall. I love the colours and it invites questions. Helping to know what it is helps. I don't know why but Scandinavia is something that springs to my mind when looking at it. Perhaps its the simplicity and style?

The first b&w image makes me notice the technical effort that has gone into it. I guess its not easy to make something relatively simple look stunning. You really don't lack imagination.

The second (abstract) is something I would probably hang on my wall. I love the colours and it invites questions.

This is exactly how I feel about the 2 images. The first is technically satisfactory but somewhat 'cold', whereas the second is more 'beautiful' and romantic. It conveys the emotion I felt when I was there more effectively.

In terms of gear, I would encourage you to go and handle the cameras in a shop as camera preference is a very personal thing.Luckily, there are very few 'bad' cameras around these days. Judging by the standard of photos you are taking using your phone camera, I am looking forward to seeing what you can achieve with a full fat camera in your hands :)

Lefty

You guys really make me take note. I am (almost ready to pull the trigger on a Fuji).
Although I am quite evangelistic about the fact that good cameras don't make you a better photographer, I do feel that the Fuji X series cameras do monochrome rather well. Switching the camera to monochrome gives you a mono view in the viewfinder, and I feel this has improved my B&W shots.

Interestingly, I sold my X-E2 to a friend who is a professional photographer, and she uses it for her personal photography as she doesn't want to lug her Canon bodies and lenses around. She recently commented that she may use the Fuji for her professional work when monochrome images are required as she gets much better results from the Fuji than on the Canons, despite the order of magnitude price difference, and the fact that she's just using the cheap plastic 16-55 zoom on the Fuji (suspect she may be asking to borrow my primes soon...).

This is exactly how I feel about the 2 images. The first is technically satisfactory but somewhat 'cold', whereas the second is more 'beautiful' and romantic. It conveys the emotion I felt when I was there more effectively.

Lefty

I guess the nature of the image does make it somewhat cold, unavoidable. I was glancing through another thread about the Japanese exclusion camp and was surprised at the warmth and softness of this original film docu series. Very inviting but with sharp accuracy at the same time. I didn't want to comment in the thread as I felt it would take away from the emotive message. I don't know what film was used but to my eyes it lookes beautiful not wanting to take anything away from the seriousness of the situation those families found themselves in.

How did you achieve the second image if I may ask?

How did you achieve the second image if I may ask?

I used a 10 stop ND filter to increase the exposure time to 5 seconds. I then moved the camera during the exposure to create the movement / smearing seen in the final image. (The technique is called 'intentional camera movement' or ICM for short). It's easy to do, but difficult to get the exact result you want!

Then there's the post processing. This video by the Andy Gray (a wonderful abstract / impressionistic photographer) gives an excellent guide on post processing for ICM using mainly Analog Efex Pro (but I only used LR/PS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQdVbtVUB8o&t=599s

Hope this helps :)

Lefty

I used a 10 stop ND filter to increase the exposure time to 5 seconds. I then moved the camera during the exposure to create the movement / smearing seen in the final image. (The technique is called 'intentional camera movement' or ICM for short). It's easy to do, but difficult to get the exact result you want!

Then there's the post processing. This video by the Andy Gray (a wonderful abstract / impressionistic photographer) gives an excellent guide on post processing for ICM using mainly Analog Efex Pro (but I only used LR/PS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQdVbtVUB8o&t=599s

Hope this helps :)

Lefty

Many thanks

Whilst I seem to be naturally drawn to the simplicity and message of b&w the third one is lovely combination of both (I assume you have adjusted some of it?).

Powerful yet subtle.

Actually processed in Silver Efex Pro (a mono conversion package) and used the Selective Colour option (within Silver Efex Pro) to put colour back!!!!

Although I am quite evangelistic about the fact that good cameras don't make you a better photographer, I do feel that the Fuji X series cameras do monochrome rather well. Switching the camera to monochrome gives you a mono view in the viewfinder, and I feel this has improved my B&W shots.

Interestingly, I sold my X-E2 to a friend who is a professional photographer, and she uses it for her personal photography as she doesn't want to lug her Canon bodies and lenses around. She recently commented that she may use the Fuji for her professional work when monochrome images are required as she gets much better results from the Fuji than on the Canons, despite the order of magnitude price difference, and the fact that she's just using the cheap plastic 16-55 zoom on the Fuji (suspect she may be asking to borrow my primes soon...).

That's good to know. I am not technically verse with the latest and greatest in terms of photography but budgetary constrictions and beginner status exclude any expensive ones. In addition I don't want multiple lenses etc. just a decent zoom and a tripod.

It has to be simple and small enough so I can take it with me without planning a major expedition. It has to fit easily into either my man bag (!) or backpack if I'm out and about.

PS. some of my pictures, page 93 and 94 seem to have disappeared. Anyone know why?

31029975483_f74d3e644a_c.jpg

Love the bee image Drummerman - was that taken on your S7? Very impressive if so!

I finally worked up the courage to paint a whole scene (rather than individual trees on a white background). Not a masterpiece, but it's a start. I'm a total beginner and can't draw to save my life!

31804192676_eb7a9c6359_c.jpg

Lefty

I think your painting depicts Autumn in a lovely way. That Orange is one of my favourite colours helps too. The blue is unusual but contrasts well. I am no art critic but to me this looks like a very happy scene and I could imagine that in the right frame this would look nice in a modern setting.

Your skills with dimensions and structure, probably gained through your photography (?) comes clearly through even in a relatively 'simple' painting or perhaps 'especially' in a scene such as this where getting an interesting angle can't be easy.

You put yourself down regarding your skills but I wished I could paint like that.

As to the bee, thanking you kindly. Taken with S7 as all others.

Thanks for the kind words Drummerman - much appreciated. Sadly I can't take credit for the idea or composition as I was just following a YouTube tutorial. (Mine is a pale imitation of the original).

https://youtu.be/BD64noae2Tc

Very impressive indeed on the S7 bee shot!

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back