advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2019 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCF0118_1024px.jpg

Hello, Last year while visiting Florida I found that my AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR wasn't long enough so after much deliberation and the help of the current Tamron promotion I bought a new Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 to go on my Nikon D500. For the last couple of weeks I've been trying out this combination on the birds in my back garden. The sparrow photo was the first I took with this lens, I was very lucky to catch the sparrow with it's wings extended in flight. The starling was the first I've even seen land on my bird feeder.

I need a lot more practice before I get a better keeper rate but I'm working on it

20190520_143631 by John Payne, on Flickr

20190530_153936 by John Payne, on Flickr

Hello, Last year while visiting Florida I found that my AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR wasn't long enough so after much deliberation and the help of the current Tamron promotion I bought a new Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 to go on my Nikon D500. For the last couple of weeks I've been trying out this combination on the birds in my back garden. The sparrow photo was the first I took with this lens, I was very lucky to catch the sparrow with it's wings extended in flight. The starling was the first I've even seen land on my bird feeder.

I need a lot more practice before I get a better keeper rate but I'm working on it

20190520_143631 by John Payne, on Flickr

20190530_153936 by John Payne, on Flickr

It's tremendously good fun isn't it John? I'll be keen to hear about your continuing experiences with the Tamron. I'm loving mine so far and like you, have been mainly using it for imaging birds out in my garden :)

I compared the Tamron to the Nikkor 200-500 in store and as much as I wanted to go with the Nikon (it was a mint second hand copy for £800), I ended up paying more for a brand new Tamron. I'll be honest, the main reason was weight. Although the spec sheet says there is only 200g between the two, I found the Nikon to be significantly less comfortable to hand hold. It was more front heavy and the tripod foot wasn't as long, meaning you were holding it further back. Another reason was that the Tamron focused faster (at least on my Z7).

Lefty

It's tremendously good fun isn't it John? I'll be keen to hear about your continuing experiences with the Tamron. I'm loving mine so far and like you, have been mainly using it for imaging birds out in my garden :)

I compared the Tamron to the Nikkor 200-500 in store and as much as I wanted to go with the Nikon (it was a mint second hand copy for £800), I ended up paying more for a brand new Tamron. I'll be honest, the main reason was weight. Although the spec sheet says there is only 200g between the two, I found the Nikon to be significantly less comfortable to hand hold. It was more front heavy and the tripod foot wasn't as long, meaning you were holding it further back. Another reason was that the Tamron focused faster (at least on my Z7).

Lefty
Yes have to agree. The starling was shot handheld though the sparrow shot was with the help of a monopod. I'm amazed at how quick the Tamron focuses but the D500 might be helping with that. Compared with the Sigma 50-500 I owned years ago it's a completely different beast. I'm planning a few trips locally - there's a landlocked piece of canal not far away that has a couple of permanent hides set up so that's one to try out.

Yes have to agree. The starling was shot handheld though the sparrow shot was with the help of a monopod. I'm amazed at how quick the Tamron focuses but the D500 might be helping with that. Compared with the Sigma 50-500 I owned years ago it's a completely different beast. I'm planning a few trips locally - there's a landlocked piece of canal not far away that has a couple of permanent hides set up so that's one to try out.

That canlside hide sounds promising! Look forward to seeing the results if you decide to share.

I need to find some good local spots. We have a lot of lakes here in Milton Keynes so they are probably the first port of call.

Lefty

The trick with the Nikkor 200-500 is to rotate the tripod foot so that it is on top and cradle the lens with your hand underneath. I find it quite easy to hold steady like that and in fact I find that it makes a more balanced set up with my D500 than with my Nikkor 70-200 f4 which only weighs in at 850g.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back