advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2019 part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two rather different images (both from the garden)

Still getting to grips with the Z7. As is always the way with a new camera, the files and colour science are both very different. The white balance in particular is proving tricky to nail down. With a bit of luck, I'll have it nailed by the time Autumn rolls around...

46958926625_4e073c1396_b.jpg

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Macro

47086626374_5f774b88a0_b.jpg

Nikon Z7 / Tamron 150-600mm G2

Lefty

@Mr Perceptive - I always wanted to try the 16mm when I had my X-T2. Shame I never got a chance as I opted for the 14mm instead.

Lefty

Its ok, you'll get your chance, as @Gromit knows, Fuji's are boomerang cameras, I'm glad I worked this out, its saved a lot of time changing gear only to come back again!!

And one from Cwmorthin, this time with the 90mm

Slate Fence - Cwmorthin
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Thanks Amar :)

I actually made a bit of a hash of this - was walking past the pavilion and on seeing these chaps, thought it might make for a nice image. Set the X100F wide open and clicked at just above waist height. However, on looking at the picture later noticed I hadn't set the ND filter or used the E-shutter. It was drastically over-exposed but kudos to that Fuji sensor, even managing to claw back something in LR. Picture is a sooc jpeg otherwise.

Thanks Amar :)

I actually made a bit of a hash of this - was walking past the pavilion and on seeing these chaps, thought it might make for a nice image. Set the X100F wide open and clicked at just above waist height. However, on looking at the picture later noticed I hadn't set the ND filter or used the E-shutter. It was drastically over-exposed but kudos to that Fuji sensor, even managing to claw back something in LR. Picture is a sooc jpeg otherwise.

I never would have known unless you told me - looks spot on to me. That Fuji sensor is clearly doing the business :cool:

Its ok, you'll get your chance, as @Gromit knows, Fuji's are boomerang cameras, I'm glad I worked this out, its saved a lot of time changing gear only to come back again!!

Lol! Given the money invested in the Z7, I'm hoping to stay put in the Nikon system for a long time (famous last words). :D

It's still the painful early days of a new camera (compounded by the fact that I am also trying a new genre). I'm trying hard to put in the work now (i.e. fail fast) so that I am all sorted when autumn comes around. In that spirit, here's an image taken earlier. today. A visit to the local nature reserve's bird hides proved fruitless. (I literally saw zero birds!). Luckily I spotted this guy on the way back to the car, giving me a chance to get some more images under my belt.

Have to say I'm enjoying the Z7's focus accuracy. Definitely a notch above what I remember from the D800E for wildlife.

The Swan by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Tamron 150-600mm G2

Lefty

Remote Cwm Eigiau today, some quarry ruins.

And a rock cannon, craig fagnel, a particularly nice example. 18th or 19th century, rock cannon were quarrymans DIY fireworks, used to celebrate weddings, ends of wars, royal visits etc. Some large ones had hundreds of charge holes, some are inscribed and dated. More in The Rock Cannon of Gwynedd by G R Jones.

A couple more from yesterday - looking down into Cwm Eigiau and the quarry - gives an idea of the scale. The ruined barracks and mill buildings can just be made out. The sheep in the foreground that look like quartz boulders, are, in fact, quartz boulders.

and on a smaller scale, some lichen

Met my friend Babis for the first time in a long while on Sunday after Photo London.

Babis Tsekis by Pete, on Flickr

it might have been an idea to take the photograph before the 4th pint when there was a bit more light around, 1/30th 4.5 with the 120 handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back