advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2017 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picking up on the joy of printing - here's the image above printed (at home using my Epson SC-P600 on Fotospeed Platinum Baryta) and framed ready for hanging. For info, it's a 15" x 10" print on A3 paper :)

38305362771_e80647e482_b.jpg

I highly recommend home printing for those who haven't tried it. Inkjets have come a long way since the early days!

Lefty
Maybe I shouldn't say this, as it could just be a question of 'different strokes.......', but my reaction was 'great picture, shame about the frame.' I'd have started with white, and if that wasn't quite right maybe tried one of the lighter colours in the picture. (I re-sprayed a dark frame recently and was really surprised at the apparent transformation of the picture.) YMMV

Just picking up on the joy of printing - here's the image above printed (at home using my Epson SC-P600 on Fotospeed Platinum Baryta) and framed ready for hanging. For info, it's a 15" x 10" print on A3 paper :)

I highly recommend home printing for those who haven't tried it. Inkjets have come a long way since the early days!

Lefty

I completely agree. Printing, mounting and framing a photograph makes it all worthwhile. The quality really comes through too in a way that you can never get with reduced files on forums and so on, you get a new insight into detail, texture and tonal depth. I use an old Epson StylusPro 3800.

DSC_2327_1024.jpg

A long empty section of taxiway at the former RAF Chipping Ongar, between 1943-44 home to the B26 Marauders of the 387th Bombardment Group of the 9th USAAF, 'The Tiger Tails'. From here the young American crews attacked German military installations, V-weapon sites and railway lines and marshalling yards in the north of France and The Low Countries in the months leading up to D-Day. The 387th was the first Medium unit of the 9th to move to France after D-Day. By the end of the war in 1945 they had lost just shy of 100 aircraft, with over 300 crew killed, and 217 wounded.

I think of them every day, but especially today.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, as it could just be a question of 'different strokes.......', but my reaction was 'great picture, shame about the frame.' I'd have started with white, and if that wasn't quite right maybe tried one of the lighter colours in the picture. (I re-sprayed a dark frame recently and was really surprised at the apparent transformation of the picture.) YMMV

No problem at all - happy to take criticism / different points of view :) I'm reasonably proficient at making prints but still have a lot to learn about framing. This was a relatively cheap (£32) frame and the whole exercise was a prototype for getting this printed really large (3ft x 2ft) and framed. I'd be interested to hear what colour and style of frames / mounts you think would work with the image :)

I completely agree. Printing, mounting and framing a photograph makes it all worthwhile. The quality really comes through too in a way that you can never get with reduced files on forums and so on, you get a new insight into detail, texture and tonal depth. I use an old Epson StylusPro 3800.

Absolutely! Great printer by the way - does that do A2 prints? I use an Epson SC-P600 which is wonderful, but I wish it printed up to A2. For that I need the SC-P800, but can't justify the cost....

DSC_2327_1024.jpg

A long empty section of taxiway at the former RAF Chipping Ongar, between 1943-44 home to the B26 Marauders of the 387th Bombardment Group of the 9th USAAF, 'The Tiger Tails'. From here the young American crews attacked German military installations, V-weapon sites and railway lines and marshalling yards in the north of France and The Low Countries in the months leading up to D-Day. The 387th was the first Medium unit of the 9th to move to France after D-Day. By the end of the war in 1945 they had lost just shy of 100 aircraft, with over 300 crew killed, and 217 wounded.

I think of them every day, but especially today.

A wonderful and poignant image - especially today. Nicely toned too

Lefty

Looks really great Lefty. What's the Epson like for handling the quality paper?

Looks really great Lefty. What's the Epson like for handling the quality paper?

Thank you :)

The Epson is perfect for heavier, fine art papers. It uses pigment inks so when used with suitable archival papers (like the Fotospeed Signature Matt papers), you can make giclee prints at home. I highly recommend their Platinum Etching paper. It's superb!

Lefty

The Epson is perfect for heavier, fine art papers. It uses pigment inks so when used with suitable archival papers (like the Fotospeed Signature Matt papers), you can make giclee prints at home. I highly recommend their Platinum Etching paper. It's superb!

I've never progressed beyond A4. Still have a working R800, which has been just fine for what it is

Absolutely! Great printer by the way - does that do A2 prints? I use an Epson SC-P600 which is wonderful, but I wish it printed up to A2. For that I need the SC-P800, but can't justify the cost....

Lefty

Thank you for the kind comment, and davcoll too.

Yes, the 3800 prints to A2.

Lefty

I couldn't agree more with this, I can't imagine having an image I really like on screen and not being able to print it. I tend to print a fair few images with no intention of framing but just for my own pleasure and to show to family / friends. The actual process of preparing an image for print and then printing is very enjoyable if occasionally frustrating. Having a well printed image to view is worlds away from viewing on a monitor, even a good, colour profiled one. I am luck enough to have an Epson SC-P9000 so, on occasion, I can print big, really big!

This was from a couple of weeks back, we were in a dark part of the wood and turned around to see this amazing burst of colour blasting out of the gloom. Hard to capture the feeling and and 'only' had the XT-2 with me...

Colour Burst by Paul Newman, on Flickr

I couldn't agree more with this, I can't imagine having an image I really like on screen and not being able to print it. I tend to print a fair few images with no intention of framing but just for my own pleasure and to show to family / friends. The actual process of preparing an image for print and then printing is very enjoyable if occasionally frustrating. Having a well printed image to view is worlds away from viewing on a monitor, even a good, colour profiled one. I am luck enough to have an Epson SC-P9000 so, on occasion, I can print big, really big!

Excellent! I'm exactly the same and have boxes full of prints 'just because'. I look through and collate / arrange them often. (One day I'll get round to curating a book, nut I feel I don't have the images to do one properly yet. My images are too varied in style, but this is something I am actively working on....)

An Epson SC-P9000 you say? Hubba hubba! I'm not jealous... much!

DSC_8426_1024_2.jpg

Delville Wood, Somme

Another fabulous image eternumviti :)

Both taken almost exactly 2 years ago. I have spent quite a lot of time in these places during the last few years, but they still completely catch you out, especially at this time of year, and today. Very emotional today.

Amar, I see a lot of consistency in your work, there's a very strong lefty imprint. Go with the book.

No problem at all - happy to take criticism / different points of view :) I'm reasonably proficient at making prints but still have a lot to learn about framing. This was a relatively cheap (£32) frame and the whole exercise was a prototype for getting this printed really large (3ft x 2ft) and framed. I'd be interested to hear what colour and style of frames / mounts you think would work with the image :)
I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert - someone has probably written a book on the subject - I just 'know what I like':D

Having said that, I think it depends on the image and how you see it/wish to present it. Some pictures need a frame and/or a mask, others don't. The Cezanne landscape print I played about with now looks perfect (to me anyway) in what I can only describe as a 'window-frame'.
I don't necessarily go along with McLuhan's famous epigram, but do think the mount and frame can either emphasize or de-emphasize the medium: looking through this thread, sometimes the photographic process is an intrinsic part of the desired result (c.f. Berger, Sontag, Dyer et al) - at other times the image is everything and should be framed more like a painting imo.

For me that particular picture is crowded, contending with a dark, heavy frame, whereas a larger mount and lighter coloured frame would be preferable by far. (Since large frames are expensive, I'd start by painting what you already have: you can go back to black if you don't like it.)

Most frames are neutral, which is obviously the safe option. If you can find it, the ideal combination really shows off the picture and repays the effort. I made the original comment because I thought your picture deserves better, but it's still only one opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back