advertisement

pfm Health Club

So by way of a guide to eating at a sustainable level, to maintain your current weight of 134kg, your daily calories would be c 2600 per day, based on no exercise and a fairly sedentary lifestyle.

At 100kg this would be about 2,170 cals per day, again based on sedentary activity levels.

At 90kg this would be about 2050 cals per day (activity as above).

So the idea of showing you this is two fold -
1. Prompt you to think about current intake and maybe for a short while log your daily calorie intake on your '5'
2. Set a bit of expectation of how this would step down over a period of time to land you at 90kg

Given that you're looking to lose something like close to 100lbs, and you'd expect this to take something like a year to 18 months, this also indicates the gradual but steady reduction of daily calories.

Exercise on top will help a bit (never overestimate!) and has lots of other benefits too.
Those figures seem a bit low CD, are you sure? I know you generally know your stuff on this but I'd be very surprised if someone at 130 kg maintained that weight on only 2600 cal a day. When I've looked it up Joe Average @ 70kg needs 2500 a day, people approaching twice that need 3000 a day. Have the numbers changed or are you referring to a purely sedentary lifestyle and my comments are based on moderate activity?

Those figures seem a bit low CD, are you sure? I know you generally know your stuff on this but I'd be very surprised if someone at 130 kg maintained that weight on only 2600 cal a day. When I've looked it up Joe Average @ 70kg needs 2500 a day, people approaching twice that need 3000 a day. Have the numbers changed or are you referring to a purely sedentary lifestyle and my comments are based on moderate activity?

I’ll go double check as I did it in a rush. Yes the figures quoted are intentionally for zero exercise and sedentary living. To be honest even if you add 1-3 moderate exercise per week it probably only shifts it up by a few hundred calories per day.

That's about in line with what I seem to remember for moderate levels of activity and 130ish kg. In practical terms, I just can't see a 130kg person staying that weight on 2600 kg a day otherwise we would all be that size. Maybe CD's figures are correct for someone with no activity. It's a bit of a lottery either way, the figures are only averages. Some people are just bigger just as some are taller. I do remember an elderly neighbour of mine when I was a kid, he'd been taken prisoner by the Japanese during WW2 and as was the norm he got very little to eat. Remarkably, he never became as skinny as his mates and retained a little belly, to the point where they used to pull his leg and say he was getting extra food on the side.

Either way, keep plugging away, I'm convinced that a 5-2 and nothing ridiculous on the 5 "normal" days will see you the right side of 100kg in a few months. Get to there, settle in to your new weight and go from there.

I did use 5’11” (rounded your 0.5” down), but could produce a more accurate calorie number based if you wouldn’t mind sharing your age Whaleblue?

Okay, I think I've found the cause of the error. The calculator I used appears to underestimate significantly compared to a few others I've tried. So these figures look more reasonable.

To maintain your current weight of 134kg, your daily calories would be c 2915 per day, based on no exercise and a fairly sedentary lifestyle (3340 cals if doing light exercise 1-3 times per week*)

At 100kg this would be about 2353 cals per day, again based on sedentary activity levels (light exercise = 2696 cals)

At 90kg this would be about 2189 cals per day (activity as above). Light exercise = 2508 cals.

Light exercise I would classify as a session of 30 mins where your heart rate and breathing are elevated. So not a gentle walk but a brisk one for example.

134.2kg

Full 5:2 this week and I’ve gained 0.2kg.

I remain resolute, but will spit feathers if I’m not around 133kg next Saturday.

133.6kg. My mouth is feather free. Actually, that’s OK - it’s the right direction at last. However, I’ll try to reign back on the 5s this week.

@crimsondonkey, thanks for the PM input, it’s hugely appreciated. @The others offering help and encouragement, and others on their own journeys, thanks so much too. It’s all keeping me doing what I might have otherwise given up on.

Good work, you are back on track. Another pound or so. It's a bore though, isn't it? I know from when I've lost very modest amounts of weight that you plug away for weeks and it only drips off, it's like trying to empty a bath with a teaspoon. Your biggest problem is losing interest, so as you say coming on here does the job. That's why I advocate not being too hard on yourself and having the odd day off. You're winning, carry on.

Blubbering under the 16st mark, first time I have been here for a while.

Not doing much exercise wise, but food portions have reduced and could be even less when the weather improves.

Keep up the good work, fellow dieters and not forgetting the PFM advisors who are doing a good job sorting out the lard reduction finer points.

Bloss

Good work! Keep at it. A pound a week is ideal.

Today I reached a major milestone, 11 stone 12lb, I am now in possession of a ‘normal’ bmi. A few more pounds to go and I’ll stick. I’m hoping to get out for a run tomorrow. Been suffering with a sore foot, hopefully it will bear up to some use now.

I said in another thread that I'd give up the sugar and the biscuits in the new year. Well I haven't quite given them up completely but I've seriously cut back. I've reduced the size of some of my meals and I miss out a couple of main meals at the weekend. I've had virtually no alcohol since just before Christmas either though I did have a bit of a binge last night when I went out for a meal with friends. The upshot is that I've lost eleven pounds since the beginning of January and I'm down to 18st2. My aim is to get to 16st or less as long as I feel OK with it.

Excellent and sensible way to go @Chops54. I always remember a book my mother read in the 70s by a Professor Yudkin called “Pure, White and Deadly” which highlighted the problems with processed sugary foods. No idea if the thinking in it is any more relevant than the many other takes on diet, but wins a prize for the title. :)

Thank you both. I’ve always been a big bloke, not really fat but well made and after having both knees and a hip replacement I felt I needed to give my body a fighting chance. At 64 I’m back
on my feet again and holding down a good physical job which I intend to keep going past retirement age albeit on slightly less hours.

advertisement

Back