advertisement

Peter Grimes: whose your favourite Grimes and why?

There's no denying the power of Vickers' performance! But the tragedy must raise questions about what is caused by fate, and what is triggered by character; my view is that Vickers emphasises the latter to the detriment of the former.

But it's just my view, and I think the role is complex enough to support different interpretations. Even a role like Dr Bartolo in The Barber of Seville and The Marriage of Figaro can be played in a variety of different ways which can affect how dark or light the comedy is.

There's no denying the power of Vickers' performance! But the tragedy must raise questions about what is caused by fate, and what is triggered by character; my view is that Vickers emphasises the latter to the detriment of the former.

But it's just my view, and I think the role is complex enough to support different interpretations. Even a role like Dr Bartolo in The Barber of Seville and The Marriage of Figaro can be played in a variety of different ways which can affect how dark or light the comedy is.
Absolutely. The character is ambiguous and both singers leave their own imprint on the role giving it life either way. For me Vickers has both and this is underlined when you see him in the flesh. In comparison Pears is more inward in his performance and to be fair he should align with the role more intimately as Britten would have likely shared more insights. In the end it’s down to personal preference. For me Vickers is the more likely fisherman.

advertisement

Back