advertisement

Pet peeves in films/tv

Driving in films....mostly when it's obvious the car is in a studio with a fake backdrop, or on a trailer.....with "Mr T" style driving, where the steering wheel is moved randomly clockwise and anticlockwise, while the car "moves" along a straight road.

Car chases where the cop car or baddy in an average vehicle keeps up with a supposedly expertly hard driven super Something.
Scenes where a car has supposedly driven some distance has condensation steaming / dripping from the exhaust.

Why is that bad? Extra wear on mechanism?
Yes. And just when you really need it to work, it’ll let you down. Ok, the car would have to be old, but the threat is real.
Also, it does sound a bit unnecessary.
I’ve always pulled the handle up while pressing the button in, as taught by my cowboy boots and Stetson wearing instructor, but later when I was becoming a driving instructor, the guy teaching me, top RoSPA, IAM etc guy who also taught in the police just wouldn’t have accepted it. And I doubt I’d have passed the very strict driving ability test if I’d not used the button.

And of course you need to press the button in to do handbrake turns in a normal road car :)

Old TV comedies where bad driving and drunkeness are thought to be funny.

They are not very funny in real life so why is it in Last of the Summer Wine.

the long bursts at the start of Saving Private Ryan couldn't have happened.
I'm sure you're right about the gun. It shouldn't put off people from Saving Private Ryan - I read a while back that soldiers actually part of the landings rate the beginning of that film as unusually (and of course horribly) realistic.

My main pet peeve:

Last edited:
Back in the early 1990s, a lot of FBI response teams were issued with new self-loading rifles to replace the pump action weapons they had used before. The decision was quickly reversed when it was explained that many officers used the very visible and audible action of loading the rifle as a way of showing they were serious...

For example: a police chief is explaining a situation to his assembled crew, he says a few words, then one of his right hand men takes over with another few words of explanation, then his next in command jumps in with a bit more, then it goes back to the chief, then…….
…. and between them they somehow get to the end of it.
Just doesn’t happen like that!

Any movie where it is filmed dark for effect, Batman movies being the worst. My eyesight has always been good but I won’t watch movies like the above.

I can normally overlook unrealism as conventional licence. The plot, acting, & directing are the important things to me & what I concentrate on.

I’m much more bothered when there are too many characters in complex plots. I have a simple brain & find it difficult & tiring to keep up with them all. It put me off The Wire that my partner of the time loved.

Brit actors doing nonsense mittel-Europa accents while speaking English in WW2 dramas. RADA must have a degree level course for it.

And did any German officer ever actually say to newly captured allied soldiers "For you ze war ist over!"

Nobody ever goes to the toilet. (Except in "Ice Cold in Alex")

Brit Actors doing American accents for no good reason - Florence Pugh plays the daughter of the Emperor of the Universe in Dune 2, but why with an American accent?

I avoid ‘found-footage’ genre films. Not only are they usually low budget horror flicks but the first person perspective gives me motion sickness.

advertisement

Back