advertisement

Peated Whisky

rod

beach bum
Inspired by the other thread asking for buying advice, I would like to ask those of you who think peated, and heavily peated whiskies are a thing of wonder, for your recommendations.

I have tried all the usual supermarket suspects, most of the Arbegs, plus a good selection of others, and also a couple of the 'name' blends (Smokehead and Big Peat),

Currently tipple is Berrys' Bunnahabhainn Peated 2006, which is superb.

What's your peaty faves?

Laphroaig 15 year old is the best of the sensibly-priced ones for me. Seems to evaporate very quickly here though!

Partner is very fond of Lagavulin 16 year old, but will deign to accept Laphroaig, Talisker or Coal Ila.

Personally I do not like that kind of alcoholic TCP...

Never got on with Laphroaig, it tastes like the inside of a hospital.

The Lagavulin 16 is a permanent favorite, never found anything else from Islay to beat it.

I'm not a big fan of peated whisky and used to actively dislike Laphroaig, although Bunnahabhainn was acceptable. In my selfless quest(!) to like this type of whisky more, I've tried out Laphroaig Select which is currently on sale in Tesco @ £25 rather than £36, and I quite like it as an alternative, rather than as a first choice to drink. More info at the link below when you tell them you are over 18. ;)

http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/select.aspx

If Tesco are still selling the Select at that price, I could get interested! The only other Laphroiag I have tried is the Quarter Cask, which I like.

I would love to buy a bottle of Bruichladdich Octomore, but probably draw the line at paying £100 (or £150 for the 2014 bottling) for a bottle of whisky. However, since they have it in the Pot Still in Hope Street, I tried it there. Unfortunately, it was my first dram. Nothing else could measure up after that. Sublime.

Speaking of Bruichladdich, I think the Port Charlotte is another superb heavily peated whisky.

I haven't really explored Caol Ila's yet, though recently had this Provenance bottling of Caol Ila Young and Feisty release. Very much to my taste.

I think I should also try the The Ileach Cask Strength, judging by the description.

Certainly the finest IMO. I do love Talisker though. Explodes on the palate; something I've never tired of since trying it at the distillery 25 years ago.

I've also been to the distillery... amazed me how they run the operation somewhere that remote and with not much more than cart tracks as roads!
Did you go to the pub a few hundred yards away with the amazing views over the loch from the beer garden?

I like all the Islay malts, Laphroaig is my favourite - but I appreciate the "TCP quality" may not be to everyones tastes.

One not mentioned yet is Bowmore which is on the subtler side of the peaty Islays. 12 and 15 year quite reasonable.

Some of the online single malt sites do samples where you could try five or six for the price of a bottle - I'd suggest Bowmore, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Talisker and Caol Illa - then see what floats you boat.

I like all the Islay malts, Laphroaig is my favourite - but I appreciate the "TCP quality" may not be to everyones tastes.

One not mentioned yet is Bowmore which is on the subtler side of the peaty Islays. 12 and 15 year quite reasonable.

Some of the online single malt sites do samples where you could try five or six for the price of a bottle - I'd suggest Bowmore, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Talisker and Caol Illa - then see what floats you boat.

Then there is the super rare and expensive (silent distillery) Port Ellen of course :cool:

Talisker (although with some subtle peatiness) comes 'doon fae the Isle of Skye', not Islay, which wouldn't rhyme with shy.

PS everybody on here better get the pronunciation correct, it is Isla, the y is silent.

advertisement

Back