advertisement

Peated Whisky

Of course The Bowmore is the true choice of the discerning audiophile.

If you don't know why...

Clue.

I was given a bottle as a gift from 'The Directors of Tannoy', more than 20 years ago.

Audiophile Whiskey.

You heard it here first. :)

Mull

I've also been to the distillery... amazed me how they run the operation somewhere that remote and with not much more than cart tracks as roads!
Did you go to the pub a few hundred yards away with the amazing views over the loch from the beer garden?

I was about to say no...but It's starting to come back to me and I think we had lunch there. It was a long time ago though!

Have to say I'm not too keen. I'm allways glad when I've had enough.

First time I tasted Laphroaig I thought some one in heaven has made it just for me. Since then its been an off-on relationship with other malts leading me to unfaithfulness, but I have always returned to my constant love. The first cut is the deepest.

That was the price this afternoon in Inverness. :)

Thanks for the heads-up, there were a couple of bottles left in my local store in Ayrshire, so one of them is mine. Nice to see them trying to clear out some of their Christmas stock that didn't shift. Though not peaty, I couldn't pass up the Aberlour a'Bunadh which was on for about £35 and has been given a lot of praise.

Thanks for the heads-up, there were a couple of bottles left in my local store in Ayrshire, so one of them is mine. Nice to see them trying to clear out some of their Christmas stock that didn't shift. Though not peaty, I couldn't pass up the Aberlour a'Bunadh which was on for about £35 and has been given a lot of praise.

One of my all time favourites!

Blimey, just read this

In the UK whisky is taxed twice: excise duty on the amount of alcohol in the whisky and VAT on the cost price (including the excise duty!).
On a standard size and strength bottle (70cl and 40%abv) with a retail price of £10 there is £7.51 excise duty plus £1.67 VAT totalling £9.18 (92% of the retail price). On the same bottle with a retail price of £30 there is still £7.51 excise duty but £5.00 VAT giving a total of £12.51 (42% of the retail price). A £100 bottle has just 24% tax, so the more you pay for your whisky the less tax you pay as a percentage.

I hate to do a Mr P.
But over the years I have tried and loved most of them ,but one stands out above the rest. I have only seen it for sale in The Whisky Shop in Portree on Sky when we were there last year ,and also in the "Green Welly Stop" on the way back down south
its " OLD BALLANTRUAN" if you like heavy peated malts this one is worth seeking out
oldie

Description:
Old Ballantruan Speyside Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch Whisky is distilled in the traditional manner in the prestigious Speyside Glenlivet region, and unusually for this district, it is made with heavily-peated malted barley to impart a distinctive and unique flavour.

Old Ballantruan owes its name to an exceptional source of the purest of waters, the Ballantruan Spring, nestling in the Cromdale Hills close to Tomintoul, the highest village in the Scottish Highlands.

After 'sleeping' for many years in hand-picked oak barrels, this whisky has been bottled at 50% volume and without any chill-filtration in order to retain its layered and integrated peaty flavours.

Colour: Amber.

Nose: Mellow, malty Highland/Speyside style, waxy, hints of citrus fruits, smokiness and cedarwood.

Palate: Round, gentle malt character of medium depth.

Finish: Pleasant long finish.

Category(s): Single Malt Whisky

Producer: Angus Dundee Distillers - www.angusdundee.co.uk
ABV: 50%
Body: Full
Bottler: Angus Dundee Distillers
Brand: Angus Dundee Distillers
Cask Finish: First Fill Bourbon
Cask Strength: Yes
Chill Filtered: No
Country of Origin: Scotland
Distillation Method: Pot Still
Distillery: Tomintoul
Master Distiller: Robert Fleming
Non Chill Filtered: Yes
Region: Speyside
Single Barrel: No
Smoky (Peaty): Heavy Peat

I hate to do a Mr P.
But over the years I have tried and loved most of them ,but one stands out above the rest. I have only seen it for sale in The Whisky Shop in Portree on Sky when we were there last year ,and also in the "Green Welly Stop" on the way back down south
its " OLD BALLANTRUAN" if you like heavy peated malts this one is worth seeking out
oldie

Not one I've heard of, but a bit more info at the link

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/old-ballantruan-the-peated-malt-whisky/

Blimey, just read this

In the UK whisky is taxed twice: excise duty on the amount of alcohol in the whisky and VAT on the cost price (including the excise duty!).
On a standard size and strength bottle (70cl and 40%abv) with a retail price of £10 there is £7.51 excise duty plus £1.67 VAT totalling £9.18 (92% of the retail price). On the same bottle with a retail price of £30 there is still £7.51 excise duty but £5.00 VAT giving a total of £12.51 (42% of the retail price). A £100 bottle has just 24% tax, so the more you pay for your whisky the less tax you pay as a percentage.

Which of course proves my rabid Commie point.... :D The more you have, the less you pay in tax. Curse those damned Tories!!

advertisement

Back