advertisement

Pass Aleph 3

That has to be a classic. Their current offering may be ‘improved’ but it’s just a shadow of its former casting…. I rarely get excited by amps but I did have a little twitch of the ‘buy’ finger when I clicked through…

I still haven’t put up the tiles for the kitchen splash back. I bought them twenty years ago so is still plaster and they are still sitting in a pile along side the telly. I’m not proud of this but it does show you only need fire and a few utensils to fill the belly….

PS Justification: I just have too much duplication at present, I certainly don’t need both the two Stereo 20s (I have a spare one), and the TL12 Plus monos, so I suspect in time (assuming I like the Pass) I’ll sell the former two and just keep the TL12+ and all the valves, and that’s the cash back. I’ve always wanted to try a proper class A amp as I’ve liked Krells, Sugdens etc, and I’d never need a really big powerful one. Nor did I want anything with a fan in it. The Nelson Pass stuff is superbly documented and serviceable and this looks to be a very simple and sustainable amp. This one is a classic, I love the brutalist look, and it is small enough to fit where I want it to fit. It is also apparently pretty insensitive so that means I’m not trapped on the lowest output setting of the Verdier (the higher, lower-feedback settings sound better as far as I can tell, so I’ll get a better sounding preamp for free!).

I feel you missed that it might help keep you warm in winter.

It’s heading for the main system then?

That’s the plan. In theory it should match the Verdier pre very well and should be fine driving any of speakers I own. To be honest it’s a curiosity thing more than anything, I really like the main system as-is and I certainly won’t be selling anything there. I just want to see what an allegedly decent solid state class A amp brings in this and the 149 & LS3/5A contexts, and how it contrasts to the valve amps. I also quite fancy another ‘project’, e.g. assuming it is untouched I plan to recap it etc before really trusting it. 25 years is a long time for such a hot running amp, though obviously I don’t know how hard a life it has had.

Congrats. A bit jealous since I own a beautiful example of an Aleph P (version 2). Recently serviced by Pass Labs for peanuts. Volume is via relay switched fixed resistors. Was about $7K when new, so a real engineering statement piece back then. Only downside now is the remote codes conflict so I carefully taped over the IR receiver.

Nice thing about Pass Labs is they will tell you the service history of your component. Mine had been there twice. It was likely one of the last made. A real person in the repair department picks up the phone too. And lots of great advice on the diyaudio forum, including comments from ‘Papa’.

Congrats on snaffling-up the Aleph, Tony. I'm loving the J2 - a fundamentally similar beast. Sound aside, my favourite aspect is that Pass knowingly embraces a little second-harmonic distortion, so the amps are simultaneously very well engineered and a 1-finger-salute to the measurebators...

My limited understanding of NP's power amp designs is that overall gain is less of an issue with passive pres with modern high voltage-output sources, but overall frequency balance can be affected due to mismatched loading seen by output/input stages. For curiosity's sake I must try the J2 with my pot-in-a-box pre at some point.

With the big 3-way Hecos (which may be fairly sensitive overall, but I suspect roller-coaster impedance curves) the J2 runs very hot, and bearing in mind it's ~12 years old I'll probably pull the 85C-rated smoothing caps and replace with something specifically designed with long life at high temps.

Not much else to tinker with - the rectifier bridges are Schottkey and more-than-good-enough, all the resistors are either 1/4W Dale metal films or 1/2W wirewound Panasonic, and all the rest is neatly and minimalistically done. In fact the only worthwhile change has been binning the over-bright blue LEDs for subtler green ones!

y4mUwpL-CixE_Ow_pRS-8FGSndWRG_nlvESnGONOCFqDI0NL9Go15hGEQ51e-nFa6BHuucV6x6hyqK_mJ5ZZlYCRoKjQJ3ylRUJNMRcXt1sAuLj5oA90YxqrHyZwCLDd5gUi1fW7Z0VyS97HgEtbBewOXLqo-zCPRACqu9laUV2u6uVk__dHJXT5Viao1PLxUGz

It exists! Cosmetically very tidy, a couple of light marks, but nothing that triggers me. It looks pretty damn cool!

51478834089_8c11634155_b.jpg

Now doing my usual pre-flight checks. Fuse: correct value and ok. Nothing rattles. Pop the lid and look for repairs, botches, hackery, failing components etc. I can see no evidence of any rework at all. No caps have leaked yet, though the eight big 22,000 do look to be bulging a little. They are all the same despite two having lost their plastic hats. I’m currently just running it on the floor for an hour or two without any speakers connected and keeping an eye on DC offset, which looks very good at <5 mV per channel at present.

Given I don’t like the look of the PSU caps, and can’t really see the smaller ones well enough, I’m not going to install it in the system as a day-to-day amp yet. I want to recap it first. Any recommendation for some really nice quality drop-in 22,000uF replacements would be welcome. I want to up the temp rating to 105c, but otherwise like-for-like. I think all the other electrolytics are 220uF, so I’ll be needing a set of those too. Again any recommendations for good brands from known sources would be most welcome, I’m thinking top-end Panasonic, Kemet, Rubycon etc.

PS The physical construction is fairly complex, but I think I’ve figured out how to get into it (the PSU board is bolted to the toroidal transformer below via the big centre bolt that runs through to the bottom (a bit like a JR149!), then each of the four boards are hard-wired to that. I assume you remove the heat-sinks and then can desolder the connecting leads thus freeing everything. If anyone has actually worked on one of these please let me know as any tips would be welcome.

Looks great Tony. Eight 22000uf caps! - crikey that's some switch on power surge :)

I notice they are 25V caps. Not sure what the rail voltages are on this amp but likely quite close to that.
If going to 105deg then no arm upping the cap voltage a notch or two. That will also likely maintain cap physical size since they are all a bit more compact these days.

I always used Panasonic where possible but any of the brand's you mention will be just fine.

Thanks Rob. The schematic (linked above) implies the voltage rails are +/- 25V, so yes, its running those on the limit. If you have any recommendations for specific caps just let me know and I’ll order a set. There is only a 5A fuse in the mains plug, and the amp’s own internal fuse is 2A, so I assume it limits inrush somehow.

Now it is pretty warm DC offset looks to be settling at 12-15mV or so, so still looks well in spec (<100mV).

PS It has a blue LED, which usually has me thinking about killing random strangers, but it is very dim and subtle, plus lost deep in the heatsink so actually looks rather nice. It looks more like the lovely blue of an old 70s receiver.

Thanks Rob. The schematic (linked above) implies the voltage rails are +/- 25V, so yes, its running those on the limit. If you have any recommendations for specific caps just let me know and I’ll order a set. There is only a 5A fuse in the mains plug, and the amp’s own internal fuse is 2A, so I assume it limits inrush somehow.

Now it is pretty warm DC offset looks to be settling at 12-15mV or so, so still looks well in spec (<100mV).

PS It has a blue LED, which usually has me thinking about killing random strangers, but it is very dim and subtle, plus lost deep in the heatsink so actually looks rather nice. It looks more like the lovely blue of an old 70s receiver.

I just skim read the manual. I've a lot of time for Nelson Pass, I think he has a really good handle on the little design spec changes that can impact sonics, and those which don't, and I love the circuit simplicity which forms the foundation of his designs.

Re the caps, worth checking the how they mount to the board before doing anything to determine the pitch and any stabilizing lugs.

Re the caps, worth checking the how they mount to the board before doing anything to determine the pitch and any stabilizing lugs.

I’ve just powered it off. I’ll unbolt one of the heatsinks later and see if I can get a look at the bottom of the board. My best guess looking at the board layout in the schematic is they are the standard ‘snap in’ type but soldered-in. Annoyingly I’ll not be able to get a ruler in without totally disembowelling the thing.

51479031269_c5b131e291_b.jpg

The smoothing caps are conventional through-hole with a 10mm pin spacing.

51478546143_310f170fd6_b.jpg

The little electrolytic caps are indeed 220uF and are 16V and 105C. Visually they look fine, but if I’m taking it apart to the extent I have to in order to replace the main smoothing caps I’ll obviously replace them all. I only want to do this once!

Whats the height and diameter of the big caps Tony?

Presumably you want to stick with the dimensions to keep it looking as stock as possible?

Damnit, I’ve just bolted it all back together! I don’t care about the height, only that they are really good quality, long-lasting and fit in, so the diameter is significant. I think they are 30mm, but I’ll yoink the lid off again…

advertisement

Back