advertisement

Particularly appalling CD masters that don't come close to the vinyl

I also have Ultravox's "Rage in Eden" on CD and a curious observation is that they've introduced a low bass note on the Intro to "The Voice" to compensate for the lack of TT rumble. Noticeably absent when I play the vinyl!

That sounds like mains hum to me (an earth loop while recording, I reckon)

The "Original 1981 Analogue Master" in the deluxe version doesn't have the it - it seems to be a feature of the 2008 remaster.

I have a 1997 mastering labelled "jigsaw sequence" 7423 8 57409 2 3 and I've just checked and I get the same thing on "the collection" compilation, which has a shortened version of the track.

Don Cherry – Art Deco 1989 Original & 2024 Remaster

view-recent-photos-5.jpeg

view-recent-photos-6.jpeg

Clearly a different cutting engineer and approach.

In the old days they'd vary the rate of inward travel to keep the grooves further apart on the quiet sections next to louder sections to avoid "double tracking" (ie breakthrough from the adjacent groove) and give the really loud parts more space too and less for the long quieter sections.

It's a bit of a lost art I suspect.

The original engineer has clearly maximized the amount of run off groove which must be a questionable outcome.

Pay $350 per hour for Kevin Gray / Bernie Grundman to cut lacquers or this clown above, Could even been Autobot / AI cut direct from DAW via protools. Takes real skill to make a good sounding record sound crap
Played countless Crappy remasters over the last years , have 1000s of them soon to be Landfill

A significant issue with remastering older material is that the tape itself can deteriorate, and you often can't find the machine that originally recorded it, which will generally replay it better than any other machine.

The industry had great fun in the late 90's early 00's tracking down "retired" tape machines and surprisingly many of them could be found in less well known studios.

It's very unlikely that the actual master would be used for a re-release cutting. More likely a digital copy or even an analogue cutting copy.

Also Universal lost a whole load of masters in a huge fire a few years ago so now have to rely on second gen copies.

Heaven 17's Luxury Gap... the first CD issue sounded absolutely terrible compared to the original vinyl, not sure if they've sorted since... too scared to find out. It was really really bad... no bass, terrible sibilance, no DR ... horrid!

Well the original certainly has DR (Dynamic Range):-

DR=13 (much better than most modern discs).

Also the original CD had pre-emphasis. A lot of CD players don't process pre-emphasis. If you play this disc on a machine which doesn't do pre-emphasis it will sound wrong.

Well the original certainly has DR (Dynamic Range):-

DR=13 (much better than most modern discs).

Also the original CD had pre-emphasis. A lot of CD players don't process pre-emphasis. If you play this disc on a machine which doesn't do pre-emphasis it will sound wrong.
Your post intrigued me so I've had a look at my copy and it's a US copy. According to the DR db you linked to this is very compressed and there'a thread on Hoffman that has a couple of posts that confirm how bad it sounds. The thread also talks about pre-emphasis but hints at there being a fault with the disc so this does not get picked up by (some/all?) players.... that could explain how bloody awful it sounded... I will stick it on later and see if it's as bad as I remember.

All lathes use read ahead to set the groove width, so narrow width equals compressed crap.

A friend of mine took "Love Over Gold" back three times when it first came out in pursuit of a decent copy. He eventually gave up and bought it on CD. It was one of the first albums to be simultaneously released on both formats.
Suspicions that a combination of poor pressing quality and even mastering to show the advantages of CD was going on at that time

Your post intrigued me so I've had a look at my copy and it's a US copy. According to the DR db you linked to this is very compressed and there'a thread on Hoffman that has a couple of posts that confirm how bad it sounds. The thread also talks about pre-emphasis but hints at there being a fault with the disc so this does not get picked up by (some/all?) players.... that could explain how bloody awful it sounded... I will stick it on later and see if it's as bad as I remember.

^This.

In some CDs, pre-emph is used but the flag is not set (I have a Japanese copy of Low Life that does it) so CD players won;t pick it up.

Best solution I have is to rip via FOOBAR and use a 'de-pre-emph' plugin to sort.

FYI, a list of CDs with pre-emph is here:

Suspicions that a combination of poor pressing quality and even mastering to show the advantages of CD was going on at that time

I think the latter might well be a good shout as I remember Radio 1 making a huge thing of Love Over Gold being so much better on CD and it was used by the manufacturers in lots of early CD demos to the press too.

Looks like your US disc is from 1997 - so unlikely to have pre-emphasis. The last disc I have with pre-empasis is "Hats" by The Blue Nile (which was released in 1989).

In the 1990s I had the John Westlake Cambridge Dacmagic which had a useful LED to indicate that pre-emphasis had been detected.

My current Creek 50CD player which I bought in 2016 does not process pre-emphasis. So I process these PE discs with free Sox software which creates de-emphasized Flac files which I can play through the DAC inputs of the Creek 50CD.

advertisement

Back