advertisement

Particularly appalling CD masters that don't come close to the vinyl

It was W H Smiths - i did go back, girl was nice and for some reason the branch i used seemed to get the limited edition free single versions (UB4O, Dr Feelgood and such like)

It was W H Smiths - i did go back, girl was nice and for some reason the branch i used seemed to get the limited edition free single versions (UB4O, Dr Feelgood and such like)
Probably a chart return shop, like my old local shop.

Found a cd of dark side of the moon in the loft sounds far better than a copy i had on vinyl , its a reissue but it sounds great , ive herd it to many now but it was realy good . phil.

I only had Court and Spark on CD for years and thought it one of Joni Mitchell's weaker records. Then, a couple of year back, I got a copy on vinyl and found it to be one of her best.

The CD is bright and flat and loses all of the emotion and dynamism in the songs. There are few issue details on it - I think it must be a late 90s generic European edition - one of those early ones that had a blurb on the booklet about how high quality and convenient CD is.

I only had Court and Spark on CD for years and thought it one of Joni Mitchell's weaker records.
Several JM CDs were actually HDCD encoded. Playing back on a normal player is not ideal, some loss of dynamic range mainly.
I have also come across JM HDCDs where there has been further modification by the pressers, that has messed up the encoding.

I semi-badgered Flying Nun to reissue Able Tasmans - A Cuppa Tea & a Lie Down on CD for years. It's a wonderful album & I wanted to give copies to friends who hadn't heard it. Eventually they did - & it was a sonic disaster, compressed to hell & back, completely unlistenable; the nearest thing to driving nails into my brain without quite doing so. It isn't even a good listen in the car. đź‘Ž

advertisement

Back