advertisement

Parking ticket

If this was at Downend, the charge is £1.50 for one hour, £3 for two hours
So a plausible scenario is that you input your reg. number, the machine displays the minimum tariff (£1.50) and if you haven't read the notice, a reasonable person would assume the machine is asking for the sum due on that particular vehicle. It isn't, and presumably you're supposed to manually nudge the amount upwards by degrees until you get to what is due? But if that's not clear, and it's not exactly the usual scenario is it, then it looks a bit like entrapment. It's certainly unfair.

It really is not worth a fight. You will have a potentially very long and stressful battle to try to 'prove' that the instructions were ambiguous, whereas presumably many people do pay the right amount at the machine.

Have a life - move on and don't forget next time you are there.

If I was Prime Minister for a few days - Private Parking firms would be in the first firing line - and the DVLA would be banned from providing car details to the cowboys. Why should they get special treatment? - I am not allowed to quiz the DVLA if another car were to damage mine in an accident for instance.

How much should you have paid? And how did you manage to under pay? Presumably you input your reg. number to the machine and it comes up with a value?

I've tried finding the car park with Google, but don't recognise anything. The car park was right next to the beach and the machine was on the right-hand side as you drove out. I remember the car park being a mixture of grass and tarmac and not in the best condition. On the parking charge notice, it says "Croyde bay pay and display" (although it's not a pay and display car park).

My memory is terrible, but yes, I'm sure I would have to have put my reg number in because it's printed on the receipt.

Other than that, I can't remember what I pressed. Like I said previously, all car parks I've used before asked you to enter your reg number, and then they just told you what to pay.

I've tried finding the car park with Google, but don't recognise anything. The car park was right next to the beach and the machine was on the right-hand side as you drove out. I remember the car park being a mixture of grass and tarmac and not in the best condition. On the parking charge notice, it says "Croyde bay pay and display" (although it's not a pay and display car park).

My memory is terrible, but yes, I'm sure I would have to have put my reg number in because it's printed on the receipt.

Other than that, I can't remember what I pressed. Like I said previously, all car parks I've used before asked you to enter your reg number, and then they just told you what to pay.
Exactly.

Given your neurological and cognitive issues, I think you should write to them. It's entirely logical that if you input your number and a value is displayed, you'd assume that is what is due. For the sake of the effort involved in writing a short letter, it's worth a go. Also, adverse publicity never hurts, so hit the local social media with the story, explain how you're probably not going to revisit, because you're afraid you'll get ripped off again, because you're likely to forget the scenario and repeat.

Exactly.

Given your neurological and cognitive issues, I think you should write to them. It's entirely logical that if you input your number and a value is displayed, you'd assume that is what is due. For the sake of the effort involved in writing a short letter, it's worth a go. Also, adverse publicity never hurts, so hit the local social media with the story, explain how you're probably not going to revisit, because you're afraid you'll get ripped off again, because you're likely to forget the scenario and repeat.

Unfortunately, I think Bob is right, and they don't give a toss.
I got had a while back when I drove into a car park to pick up my GF (as I'd done lots of times previously, but without any problems). We tried the appeal thing showing my son's proof of autism, and said that he had a melt down because the space we normally park in was taken, so I had to leave the car park without parking, but it didn't work. I'm not sure what it takes for an appeal to work, perhaps even death would be no excuse. They are probably run by Tories.

advertisement

Back