advertisement

Parking ticket

Sometimes I think that the cost of running car parks and the cost of enforcement is way more than the disadvantages of having absolutely no parking control at all. Once again, most sane people are paying the price for a small minority of plonkers.

Just make parking free and remove all yellow lines.

If your time and energy is worth more to you than the cost of the ticket, it's a simple choice.

Something I've learned too late life in life is to remember the value my own time before joining any kind of conflict. £50 an hour is my current rule of thumb, I suspect that as I get older that will increase.

Last edited:
If they put it in the hands of debt collectors, they are easy to deal with. Basically, it is an unsolicited invoice, they need to prove you have a contract, signed in wet ink and independently witnessed. Otherwise, it's not valid because tacit, assumed agreement is not enough. Write them enough letters, they go away eventually because it isn't worth the hassle to them.
Beavis v Parking Eye decided otherwise...

Came back from Devon to find we have a parking ticket.

I kept the receipt, so photographed it and sent it to them through their appeal webpage, but today I got a letter saying the amount I paid didn't cover the time I was there.

We went to the beach at Croyde bay and found out that you pay at the machine when you leave.
What I wrongly assumed was that it somehow took a record of your length of stay and charged you the correct amount of money.
I've never used a car park like that before, where you have to remember how many hours you were there, so it caught me off guard.
I paid with my card, so it wasn't like I didn't have enough cash to cover it, and it's quite obvious that It was a mistake because why the hell would I try and save a few pence.

Have I got no choice but to pay it?
On what basis were you charged for parking time if the machine didn't know when you arrived ?

If they put it in the hands of debt collectors, they are easy to deal with. Basically, it is an unsolicited invoice, they need to prove you have a contract, signed in wet ink and independently witnessed. Otherwise, it's not valid because tacit, assumed agreement is not enough. Write them enough letters, they go away eventually because it isn't worth the hassle to them.
That could not be more wrong.

If you did not read the signage explaining how the car park worked (I am assuming there was some clearly displayed) then I am not sure you have much of a case.

Is the penalty notice from the Council or a private management company? If the former, they will take you to court if you do not pay. If the latter, they will send threatening letters about court action but might never do it - or they might.

Parkingeye ltd

On the other hand, if you recognise councils are unable to function without income, and many of them are close to bankruptcy, just pay it rather than making life even crapper for those trying to keep local infrastructure going in the face of central government indifference to the plight of local services.

They should manage their finances better - Leaving lights on all night on buildings for starters when we are in an energy crisis is a prime example which has been in the news recently. Plus councils have been coining it for years with these sort of fines, I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

The Op should definitely contest this as the council are being completely unreasonable IMO and I am sure a court (if it ever got that far) would thinks so too.

They should manage their finances better - Leaving lights on all night on buildings for starters when we are in an energy crisis is a prime example which has been in the news recently. Plus councils have been coining it for years with these sort of fines, I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

The Op should definitely contest this as the council are being completely unreasonable IMO and I am sure a court (if it ever got that far) would thinks so too.
It
Is
Not
The
Council!

It’s not the council that the op will be fighting, it’s a faceless company that exists only to make really easy money from people making minor mistakes.

I think the game changed when it became the vehicle keeper that was liable rather than the driver. I had a few successful run-ins against parking companies before that rule came in, but now it’s pretty difficult to escape.

I think @raysablade is on the money here. Pay the bill and walk away. The parking companies are there to ream the (mostly) innocent. It’s legalised robbery.

At best, you’d be able to prove that the ‘fine’ was in excess of the loss suffered by the parkingco, but surely you have better things to do.

As an Aspergers, I feel your pain (well, not too much, obvs), as you feel wronged, but go get yourself an icecream instead

At best, you’d be able to prove that the ‘fine’ was in excess of the loss suffered by the parkingco, but surely you have better things to do.
Beavis v ParkingEye established that the minimal loss of income by the managing agents was not material to what they were entitled to charge in excess fees.

advertisement

Back