advertisement

Painting the House.

I fell off my ladder this morning while I was cleaning my bedroom cupboard ahead of painting. I landed on the base of my spine and now I can hardly walk, bend, sit, rise or just about do anything south of my hips. But worry not, I can still wiggle my toes lol

I'll give it a day and if it doesn't improve by tomorrow, I'll either arrange to see my GP or take myself off to the hospital for a check-up. I don't think I've done any lasting harm as all the movement is still there, I think I'm just sore, stiff and bruised where the proverbial sun don't shine.

I hope you're feeling better soon - sounds nasty.

It's decorating time again. The white has gone yellow , yet again.

Anyone out there know of a gloss paint that doesn't go yellow after a year and is easy to apply?

I've tried Johnstones Aqua , I've tried Crown Fast Flow, but I'm losing a battle here. Nothing works as paint used to work.

To be honest I'd love to just do the whole house in Eggshell or Satin but the other half likes shiny Gloss Paint like her dad used to use but you just can't get that decent lead filled oil based paint anymore.

Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end with this.

Dulux Weathershield - I've only this month repainted the facias after 15 years. They didn't go yellow, just started to look 'untidy'

There is water based and oil based weathershield paints. The oil based stuff is the one you want, I think Dulux say it lasts 8 years, vs 6 years for their water based external gloss paints. The johnstones paints I think are also rated for 8 years. We're repainting this year, and are using the oil based weathershield for our wood, except for some gloss black for cast iron downpipes which is a sandtex gloss which from experience works really well. I'll let you know in 8 years time whether this was a wise choice.

BTW, the only odd thing i've found this time around is that the gloss weathershield skins over in the tin within 48 hours once opened which is a little weird, but hey, it goes on over their undercoat really well.
The oil based is decent but they were all reformulated I think in 2010 to comply with new voc permitted levels. I prefer sikkens but there you go, let us know in 2028!

We had our house completely repainted in May/June. Not something I am planning on repeating at less than 10 year intervals. My painters wouldn’t use anything other than oil-based for exterior work and everything was Weathershield. It’s a timber frame build, so rendered all over. Just the scaffolding was eye-watering

I need to do the (bare wood) rafter ends and barge boards on my house

I did them a few years ago with sadlins ? I think (the wood stain)
Is it still the best ...or is there something better (it's hideously expensive...in the quantity I need)
Just needs to be a brown/ black stain

First thing I did in the first lockdown. The salty Gale force winds will make the house look unkept in a couple of years. Won’t bother again. The Inheritors will just have to advertise it as weatherbeaten…

I need to do the (bare wood) rafter ends and barge boards on my house

I did them a few years ago with sadlins ? I think (the wood stain)
Is it still the best ...or is there something better (it's hideously expensive...in the quantity I need)
Just needs to be a brown/ black stain

Sadolin - very good stuff and recommended. My decorator told me it was the stuff to use, and he was right. I have a couple of external Oak door / gates and this stuff really looks after them for a long time.

Just painted a massive shed in wickes professional woodstain which is oil based .we will see how it gets on .

advertisement

Back