advertisement

Painting the House.

Aethelist

pfm Member
It's decorating time again. The white has gone yellow , yet again.

Anyone out there know of a gloss paint that doesn't go yellow after a year and is easy to apply?

I've tried Johnstones Aqua , I've tried Crown Fast Flow, but I'm losing a battle here. Nothing works as paint used to work.

To be honest I'd love to just do the whole house in Eggshell or Satin but the other half likes shiny Gloss Paint like her dad used to use but you just can't get that decent lead filled oil based paint anymore.

Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end with this.

Presumably indoors?

I have used Ranch paint (can't remember the brand, but whoever started it and named in "Ranch") on the outside and that is whiter than white after several years. No reason not to use it indoors.

Yes, the one I now use is Sandtex Oil Based Exterior. You can get it in Wickes. I found it a few years ago recommended on a decorators' forum, I've used it since and I'm pleased with the results. I use it inside and out.

Is it REALLY one-coat - I've not used one yet that is?

It's not bad. If it's already white and you rub it down a bit it's OK with one coat. I've just given a glazed door which was new and primed by the manufacturer one coat of it, and it's fine too. Outside I give two for better protection as much as anything else.

I remember the forum where I first saw it recommended some guy who sounded like a real decorator said that with other brands he used, he passes the house after a few years and he's ashamed. With Sandtex he passes after a few years and it still looks great. I've had it on one of my houses for about five years and last time I saw it, about six months ago admittedly, it looked fresh still.

But don't set the dogs on me if you try it and have unsatisfactory results. I may have lower standards than you! o_O

Bit of a coincidence but that's exactly the same stuff I used on the outside of our house earlier on this year.

It's a 1930's detached bungalow with 450mm deep soffits all around ( not fun to paint that I can tell yer)

15 years ago when we moved in I used exactly the same stuff and after a quick blast with the sander it went on lovely.

It's good paint but y'know?

I never ever thought about using it on the inside.

I've got 12 doors to do.

Hmm.

It's a 1930's bungalow with 450mm deep soffits all around . 15 years ago when we moved in I used exactly the same stuff. I

It's good paint,. Y'know? I never ever thought about using inside.

I MAY have the remnants of the tin of ranch paint that I used outside as I did the outside in stages - I suspect that it was International. That was started a long while ago - at least ten years - and it it is still white if it is hosed down - also a bungalow, also barge boards and soffits, the front facing south so it gets absolutely baked. It has matted, but it is still white.

Bit of a coincidence but that's exactly the same stuff I used on the outside of our house earlier on this year.

It's a 1930's bungalow with 450mm deep soffits all around . 15 years ago when we moved in I used exactly the same stuff.

I never ever thought about using it inside.

Well you know, one day I needed some white gloss for something and it was there so I thought . . . why not?!

One thing I can say, after recent experience, is, if you value your brush? Do not use Crown Fast Flow paint (regardless of what you may read on decorators forums)

I loved my Purdy Monarch Elite 3 inch brush. It's now dead after using that crap. Water based it is not. It has some sort of weird glue crap in it that makes your brush go stiff after 30 minutes use and welds the bristles together.

I be a bit peeved off. I loved that brush.

It's a 1930's detached bungalow with 450mm deep soffits all around ( not fun to paint that I can tell yer)

15 years ago when we moved in I used exactly the same stuff and after a quick blast with the sander it went on lovely.

I never ever thought about using it on the inside.

I've got 12 doors to do.

Hmm.

I asked a couple of decorators I know and neither had used it.

The description says interior/exterior use, a little more research elsewhere may help to make a decision

Two actual, real reasons that white paint turns yellow.

The pigment is titanium dioxide, and that undergoes a crystal change that takes it from white to off white. The second is the binder resin - as that ages it yellows - just like almost any polymer left in the sun for prolonged periods, although natural binders, such as tung and linseed oils are not colourless to begin with, unlike the great majority of synthetic polymers, and natural binders are FAR more likely in oil-based paint. (To get a polymer water-soluble/miscible, it usually has amine or carboxylic acid groups attached, and that ain't happening with natural binders.)

The link seems to be full of guff.

Dark or gloomy conditions are the worst for yellowing and darkening of white gloss etc. Water based paints usually fare better but are not perfect. Many are in fact hybrids containing some other form of oil. Benjamin Moore is decent if expensive paint with good sheen for a hybrid/ water based. Some of those mentioned above are good too. Just checking is this for interior or exterior?

I have lost touch with an ex-workmate who works at what was ICI paints, Stowmarket, but I would bet that exterior paints have UV absorbers to stop aging (yellowing) in sunlight, and probably whitening agents (really UV absorbers that fluoresce), as do many washing powders. Neither would serve any purpose indoors, so interior grades would not have them.

I have lost touch with an ex-workmate who works at what was ICI paints, Stowmarket, but I would bet that exterior paints have UV absorbers to stop aging (yellowing) in sunlight, and probably whitening agents (really UV absorbers that fluoresce), as do many washing powders. Neither would serve any purpose indoors, so interior grades would not have them.
That's interesting I wonder why some brands don't just produce a true non yellowing paint and market it on that basis.

Pity the op wants gloss as satins and eggshells are really good in water based but gloss is still catching up, though I would add caparol Pu gloss to my list and tikurilla 80 ( though coverage not do good). For exteriors sikkens is good but takes ages to dry, sandtex gloss decent too and although I don't much like Dulux, the oil based trade gloss is good and shiny but I can't vouch for its whiteness.

It is the new generation of 'better for the environment' paints, all water based, that are less stable to light. I have started to use 10 yr 'external' gloss paint indoors now.

advertisement

Back