advertisement

Overseas Operation Bill

WTAF?! First Starmer critcises Extinction Rebellion rather than fascist protestors causing trouble in Dover, and now this. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on with Labour? Where's the f----ing opposition?
Here's Whittome denying that she resigned:

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1308871508861816832

The argument is that she's on the shadow team and voted against the whip, so she had to go. Her response is that it was a single line whip and she believed the vote to be a matter of conscience. The broader issue is why Labour whipped for abstention in the first place. Moral cowardice (I mean, it's not as if abstaining will stop the Tories from accusing Starmer of being an unpatriotic traitor).

Going by some of the posts we could well be looking at the latest reason why “I can’t vote for “gammon” Labour because they are against human rights”, so let’s enable another tory election win in 2024.

I wish some folk would stop complaining about tory policies while they continue to essentially help the tories into govt.

My understanding is if the UK won't prosecute then the soldiers could still be tried in the Hague. While the USA is strong enough to show the finger to international law, I wouldn't necessarily put the UK in the same boat.

I wish some folk would stop complaining about tory policies while they continue to essentially help the tories into govt.

I wish some Labour voters would stop complaining about Tory policies while Labour continue to vote with the Tories.

PS If Labour want progressive left voters they need to adopt some progressive left policies pretty sharpish, e.g. standing against nationalism, standing up for human rights/civil liberties and not framing their responses to every core moral issue with a “what would Nigel’s voters want?” focus group mindset.

I wish some Labour voters would stop complaining about Tory policies while Labour continue to vote with the Tories.

PS If Labour want progressive left voters they need to adopt some progressive left policies pretty sharpish, e.g. standing against nationalism, standing up for human rights/civil liberties and not framing their responses to every core moral issue with a “what would Nigel’s voters want?” focus group mindset.
Labour does not enable tory policies, that's a LibDem thing as we saw with austerity from 2010. Where Labour has done, they have been correct to do so, though I wouldn't mind seeing examples of Labour voting with the Tories on sufficient occasion that makes this a genuine concern.

By the way, I'm not a "Labour voter" though I believe in what Labour stands for. Which party I vote for depends on where I live and the general vote share in that area. I vote with the aim of hoping to reduce the seat count for the tories.

The government's respect for the 'rule of law' knows no bounds:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54274605

'Undercover informants working for the police and MI5 are going to be explicitly permitted for the first time under British law to commit crimes.

The unprecedented legislation to authorise and oversee crimes comes after years of unclear rules over when these agents can break the law.

The law will not specify exactly which crimes can be committed.

And critics are urging MPs to amend the proposed law to rule out murder and serious violence.

The highly unusual decision to create a law that sanctions crime comes after a legal battle to force MI5 and the government to reveal secret rules governing when an informant can break the law.

[...]

Which agencies will be able to authorise secret crimes?

MI5 and other intelligence bodies
Police forces and the National Crime agency
Immigration and Border Officers
HM Revenue and Customs, Serious Fraud Office
UK military forces
Ministry of Justice (investigations in prisons)
Competition and Markets Authority, Environment Agency, Financial Conduct Authority, Food Standards Agency, Gambling Commission and Medicines and Healthcare Regulation Authority'

So, just about anyone, really.

Which agencies will be able to authorise secret crimes?

MI5 and other intelligence bodies
Police forces and the National Crime agency
Immigration and Border Officers
HM Revenue and Customs, Serious Fraud Office
UK military forces
Ministry of Justice (investigations in prisons)
Competition and Markets Authority, Environment Agency, Financial Conduct Authority, Food Standards Agency, Gambling Commission and Medicines and Healthcare Regulation Authority'

So, just about anyone, really.

You left out the Women’s Institute. They’ve been able to carry out wet jobs since 1939 and they mounted a failed coup attempt against Harold Wilson in 1970.

Reactions: Cav

advertisement

Back