advertisement

Outstanding rhythm sections

Big Tabs

LeBlanc & Wimbish are probably my favourites too :~)
I have a lot of On U Sound Records - remarkably good music + reliable good sq.

Cheers - John

Cant believe they have not had a mention

Sly And Robbie... you could pick any number of tracks.

Not sure if some of the rock musicians mentioned above wouldn’t be better described as pairs of great showmen/individualists/egotists rather than great rhythm sections.

Reactions: Joe
Phil Lesh/Bill Kreutzman/Bob Weir (Grateful Dead)
And Mickey Hart! Though the early '70s with just Billy are my favourite era, and there is a swing and flexibility that was lost with the two drummers, there is nothing quite like the tumultuous power of the Live/Dead drumming.

Also:
Tony Allen and whoever else it is on Fela Kuti records
Dave Mattacks and Dave Pegg
James Mackintosh and Quee MacArthur (Shooglenifty)
Slightly differently, I loved Ed Boyd (guitar) and John Joe Kelly (bodhran) with Flook. They were a train when they got going.

Love listening to Glenn Cornick and Clive Bunker.
Tull's "incandescent" early period (Ian Anderson's description) was never bettered by later line-ups in my view.
ML

Last edited:
Not sure if some of the rock musicians mentioned above wouldn’t be better described as pairs of great showmen/individualists/egotists rather than great rhythm sections.

I agree... what I think of as rhythm is not what other people seem to think of as rhythm. Lots mentioned here are what I think of as just the back line. Good ones though .

For me the classic rock acts had great rhythm sections eg Ac/Dc, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin to name but a few...

Young/Baker/Harris - Go to guys for Gamble & Huff and Thom Bell in Philly.
Thompson/Edwards/Rodgers - Chic.
Ed Greene/Nathan East & Wilton Felder - Greene was a very underrated drummer who played for Barry White & Gene Page.
James Jamerson/Benny Benjamin/Robert White - "You keep me hangin' on" alone ensures their immortality, never mind everything else.
Teenie & Leroy Hodges with either Howard Grimes or Al Jackson Jr. on drums - Gave Hi records their utterly distinctive sound.

Bassist Bill Nelson and drummer Tiki Fulwood of Parliament/Funkadelic, followed by Bootsy Collins and Jerome Brailey. They make most rhythm sections redundant.

Flea and Chad Smith knew this when they got George Clinton in to produce. The blokes from Little Feat weren't bad as well - Roy Estrada/Kenny Gradney and Richie Hayward.

Jack

All good suggestions. No mention of Geddy Lee and Neil Peart though! Sure they are known for flashy playing but they can groove together so well.
Tony levin and Manu Katche
Tony Levin and Bill Bruford
Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson
Michael Visceglia and Stephen Ferrera

advertisement

Back