advertisement

OS X High Sierra

I understand it well enough, I certainly grasp it is anonymous, and that is all I care about, e.g. they know I look at guitars, hi-fi and CDs, they don’t know my name, address, phone number etc.

To my mind if you run ad blockers you should donate to every independent site you regularly visit. As a tight arse I just don’t block the ads unless they actually crash my browser (as some newspaper sites have been known to do). Every now and again I clear out all the cookies and start again, but that’s it. If I want to have a look at anything dodgy out of curiosity I’ll use a different browser, in my case that’s Chrome rather than Safari. That keeps me free from malware etc as nothing can jump browser to browser, not on Macs/iOS anyway.

I wouldn't be so sure. The upgrade to iOS11 pulled up every (except the iPOD) Apple device I have used even when I disabled iCloud in my virtual machine it was linked to my email, name, address and phone. Its all done through just having an apple id account. So I'd guess that this could happen with any store that you have in the past made a purchase.

Even the High Sierra upgrade in a VM prompted me for my iPad unlock code!

Cheers,

DV

Other sites have far larger overheads and have to employ lots of staff, so it is inevitable their advertising content will be heavier. Don’t like it? Then don’t use them!

The simple reality is all the sites I use run on this kind of model. All the independent audio and music forums have adverts as they need them to survive. The only ones that don’t are obviously affiliated to a business (Naim, Harbeth, Steve Hoffman etc etc), and that is fine. If Apple and others end up denying their advertising income they will one by one die. That is a simple fact.

That's simply not correct. The measures implemented - optionally, according to the user's settings - are not intended to block ads on sites you visit. 'Legitimate' ads if you will.

The intention is to prevent ads on that site, particularly from a third-party, writing cookies which allows an advertiser to continue to track you long after you've left that site.

If you want some insight into the extent that goes on, try installing Ghostery on your Mac.

You might want to do some more research on what Google, FaceBook, et al actually know about you and how they build up patterns.

Facebook is a very different thing, and one you deliberately choose to enter personal details into, don’t sign up and type anything in and it knows nothing. Google is exactly the same unless you are signed into it (as I am as I have an Adsense account for pfm). If you choose to use Gmail that is your choice.

This is *entirely* different to say forums such as pfm as the ads do not know your user details and can not access them as they are stored in my database where such things have absolutely no access. The ads are anonymous. I guarantee it!

I wouldn't be so sure. The upgrade to iOS11 pulled up every (except the iPOD) Apple device I have used even when I disabled iCloud in my virtual machine it was linked to my email, name, address and phone. Its all done through just having an apple id account. So I'd guess that this could happen with any store that you have in the past made a purchase.

Even the High Sierra upgrade in a VM prompted me for my iPad unlock code!

That is just your Apple ID, which obviously knows what you have purchased from the App store, Apple etc. Why it asked for your iPad code is a bit odd, I guess running it in a VM confuses the crap out of it to the extent it doesn’t even know what device it is!

That's simply not correct. The measures implemented - optionally, according to the user's settings - are not intended to block ads on sites you visit. 'Legitimate' ads if you will.

The intention is to prevent ads on that site, particularly from a third-party, writing cookies which allows an advertiser to continue to track you long after you've left that site.

Look up how Viglink, skimlinks etc work. That’s a quarter to a third of pfm’s income right there. They have to follow the user to Amazon, eBay or whatever other affiliated site to prove to that site the traffic was generated here. If a adblocker prunes the code that VigLink apends to outlinks I lose this revenue. It is such a significant part of the site income it would actually put its future in jeopardy.

So, can someone explain if it's possible to do the upgrade *without* the disk being upgraded to a new filesystem?

So, can someone explain if it's possible to do the upgrade *without* the disk being upgraded to a new filesystem?

If it's an SSD it'll be converted automatically. No opt-out. The new file system is optimised for SSDs.

I understand conversion for fusion or conventional HDs will be optional when available.

Mine still has the old file system Extended (Journaled). I didn't see any prompt to change the file system but I didn't hand around whilst Sierra was upgraded.

Cheers,

DV

Mine still has the old file system Extended (Journaled). I didn't see any prompt to change the file system but I didn't hand around whilst Sierra was upgraded.

Cheers,

DV

If you look in Disk Utility any converted drives will show as 'AppleAPFSMedia.'

At this point only SSD drives will be updated automatically.

Emails stuffed. Ended up deleting Yahoo and Google mail profiles then re-creating them. Now both work.

Spotify works. Let the fun and deep appreciation for Apples skills flow.

That’s odd. I have really bizarre email as mine all goes through a pinkfishmedia.net redirect to and from other accounts and I have a pain with SMTP servers etc as many reject the return address, yet it seems to be working ok. Even my ancient HP printer worked, which is always a pleasant surprise.

I think High Sierra’s file system needs time to do some serious indexing etc as I’ve noticed a few beachballs, so I’ve left it to its own devices (awake but screen off) and will likely leave it overnight to do whatever it likes.

I think i'll leave it for a couple of weeks at least, i don't think there's anything i'll miss in the meantime, and i've got some jobs i'm trying to get finished with the machine, and i'd rather not cock them up with an OS update...

However there is no such thing. A router doesn't have enough intelligence. You could build such a device say by modding network analyser or Firewall code on a dedicated computer but its simpler to hijack a users computer and obtain the MAC address from within and tie that into a cookie.

Of course nothing is impossible with enough money and time hence why we all must be vigilant.

Cheers,

DV
My home router has a web page that displays the MAC addresses of all devices it has seen.

Paul

I think i'll leave it for a couple of weeks at least, i don't think there's anything i'll miss in the meantime, and i've got some jobs i'm trying to get finished with the machine, and i'd rather not cock them up with an OS update...

Probably the right strategy. Historically I've only switched a production Mac to a new OS when it's reached Gold Master status.

But my personal High Sierra glitch aside, when you're rewriting something as fundamental as the file system, it's definitely best to proceed with extreme caution. Apple has a remarkably successful track record for this type of transition and for the great majority of users it'll be pretty painless, but there will always be users for whom things don't go smoothly.

Look up how Viglink, skimlinks etc work. That’s a quarter to a third of pfm’s income right there. They have to follow the user to Amazon, eBay or whatever other affiliated site to prove to that site the traffic was generated here. If a adblocker prunes the code that VigLink apends to outlinks I lose this revenue. It is such a significant part of the site income it would actually put its future in jeopardy.

Apple's ad tracking technology has a 24 hour 'access window' after which third-party tracking will be disabled. Personally I find it hard to see why any affiliate link would require even that window of opportunity.

Also bear in mind that Apple has the clout to stick to its guns these days. Microsoft and Mozilla have both looked at implementing similar things before, but bottled it under pressure from the online ad industry.

Even Google itself will start to limit what advertisers can do re intrusive ads, certain types of interstitials, tracking etc in future builds of Chrome.

Ah, I didn’t realise there was a 24 hour window, I don’t think I have any objection with that. I assumed that enabling the setting would cripple the outlinks and deny revenue. That’s all I’m really concerned about as whilst some folk may ponder a purchase for a while, stick it in a wish list or whatever (as I do myself on occasion) most will buy immediately if they want the thing in question.

Apple may be extraordinarily large and powerful, but I’m prepared to bet the Venn diagram of Apple owners and independent website owners has some very considerable overlap! I have spent several £thousand with them to date and to replace my current MacBook like for like looks to be around £2.8k, so they don’t want to piss me off too much!

PS I thought Chrome was an ad tracking device!

But my personal High Sierra glitch aside, when you're rewriting something as fundamental as the file system, it's definitely best to proceed with extreme caution. Apple has a remarkably successful track record for this type of transition and for the great majority of users it'll be pretty painless, but there will always be users for whom things don't go smoothly.

Do note it's already been tested with everything that has been upgraded to iOS10 - when the default changed to the new file system. I don't recall threads of anyone noticing/things falling-apart then. But everything I can think of that runs iOS is flashNAND/ssd-based.

So the transition to include (or merely manage) all mechanical HDs is clearly going to take a little bit longer. Happy that's so - it seems Apple care it will be done right.

You don't actually need High Sierra for that, it's in Safari 11 which can be used with Sierra.

I am on Safari 11, but hadn't enabled the always block and ask websites not to track me options. I have done that now.

Have been using an ad-blocker, which gives me the option of seeing the ads.

What deals with the auto-play videos?

Jack

Hope you contribute to the sites you visit Jack. It is the equivalent of folk diving behind a paywall to grab your journalism.

I appreciate that Tony.

Are you saying that I have to accept cookies from sites and allow them to track me?

Jack

advertisement

Back