advertisement

Original CD's not Remasters / AAA-AAD

Does anyone know if the current hi-res download media from the same highly compressed source stock, or are these download tracks not compressed to the same level as CD's?

Does anyone know if the current hi-res download media from the same highly compressed source stock, or are these download tracks not compressed to the same level as CD's?

No generalisation to be made there - you need to research each title individually.

No generalisation to be made there - you need to research each title individually.

Thanks Tony.

Thought I would ask as the titles that I have looked up (to date) on the DR Database, that also showed Hi-Res download versions, detailed the Hi-Res files as being Good in comparison to the CD releases which were Bad.

What is also interesting from the DR Database, as mention by paullewis323, that a quite high percentage of new releases (in the last 20 years) on CD are down as Bad and Transitional, which doesn't bode well for ones collection.

On the trawl now for Dire Straits "Dire Straits" first release CD, Pink Floyd "Animals" first release CD.

For "Animals" I would recommend Doug Sax's U.S. Capitol (1994?), the rest sound 'veiled' by comparison, even original U.K. cd and vinyl, for me at least.

A nice flat transfer @ 24/96 would be nice for Dire Strait's catalogue :) but original cds are good.

On the trawl now for Dire Straits "Dire Straits" first release CD, Pink Floyd "Animals" first release CD.

Floyd have not suffered badly at the hands of remastering, I'd say the differences were pretty minimal with most of their catalogue, I've certainly not heard any described as being over-compressed or badly de-noised. There are some real high-value collectables, e.g. 'black triangle' label DSOTM, the first Japanese WYHWH etc, but I don't think anyone would suggest the current Discovery Edition was anything less than very decent. I'm no fan myself but IIRC the Dire Straits remasters should be avoided, the original Vertigo issues are certainly the ones to grab there.

On the trawl now for Dire Straits "Dire Straits" first release CD.

Try grab a US Warner Bros copy they are cheap as chips on Amazon MP. That copy and the rarer Japan Target have the full Sultans Of Swing which is curtailed for some reason on the Vertigo and WG Target Discs. They all sound excellent, far better than the remasters.

If you are prepared to spend a bit more, the 2013 SHM CD is a flat transfer and sounds superb.

Remasters are '"hit and miss". More often than not I find them to a welcome addtition, but unlike Mae West when they're bad they are NOT better :)

I believe it comes down to what "extra" they bring to the table, and if that "extra" adds something in a meaningful way.

I was in HMV recently and they're so busy trying to get out their own way that I am finding them deeply discounting discs. Precursor to fire sales, as they shut more and more shops,
In the States, when Tower Records started shutting down, its shops provided a treasure trove of buying opportunities. Call it Music Industry Arbitrage :)

A nice flat transfer @ 24/96 would be nice for Dire Strait's catalogue :) but original cds are good.

For the most famous ones, the original recording format was 24/48, so 24/96 won't really bring anything new to the table.

Floyd have not suffered badly at the hands of remastering, I'd say the differences were pretty minimal with most of their catalogue, I've certainly not heard any described as being over-compressed or badly de-noised. There are some real high-value collectables, e.g. 'black triangle' label DSOTM, the first Japanese WYHWH etc, but I don't think anyone would suggest the current Discovery Edition was anything less than very decent. I'm no fan myself but IIRC the Dire Straits remasters should be avoided, the original Vertigo issues are certainly the ones to grab there.

Interestingly, the first release of DSOTM on CD was sourced from a stereo copy, not the master tapes so IMHO, that's an instance where later reissues / masters got better.

Interestingly, the first release of DSOTM on CD was sourced from a stereo copy, not the master tapes so IMHO, that's an instance where later reissues / masters got better.

If only it was that predictable. ;)

A well mastered release from a first gen copy will still be preferable to a tweaked or boosted remaster no matter what was used. There are several DSOTMs that sound fine. The Sax remaster isn't bad. The MOFI is OK if a little bright but I haven't heard one that I prefer to the Japan CP35.

advertisement

Back