advertisement

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra

On a related note, when I built my first Orchard amp, Leo coached me that I needed to use a filtered IEC socket, to prevent the two SMPS modules from barfing noise back onto the mains.

In contrast, this second amp with the linear supply can use a regular socket.
Interesting that if I use one of those filters on any my gear with a linear power supply it kills the sound dynamics. For example in front of my Atom HE or in front of the power amp.

But obviously no such effect with a switched supply. I guess it makes sense, a switched supply just 'chops up' the mains as requited. The ;linear supply on the other hand sees the whole of the supply and it cares about the impedance of what's driving it.

They're chassis live, so may add an additional gnd path in certain builds. Your linear supply only cares about impedance c50hz, the devices powered by it care about the grounding.

Interesting that if I use one of those filters on any my gear with a linear power supply it kills the sound dynamics. For example in front of my Atom HE or in front of the power amp.

But obviously no such effect with a switched supply. I guess it makes sense, a switched supply just 'chops up' the mains as requited. The ;linear supply on the other hand sees the whole of the supply and it cares about the impedance of what's driving it.
Yes, I've also noticed that those filters suck the life out of linear supplies, so I was happy that I didn't need one with my new build.

For the initial build (with the Orchard SMPS modules), there was no shortage of life from the amp, so clearly it's a different situation overall.

They're chassis live, so may add an additional gnd path in certain builds. Your linear supply only cares about impedance c50hz, the devices powered by it care about the grounding.
Yes, the Orchard modules want to be earthed to the chassis, either via the standoffs or a ground tab.

My transformer has a shield as well, so I'll ground that.

Finally, there's the mains ground at the inlet socket. ;)

advertisement

Back