advertisement

Oral Health affects General Health

approximately how long each day do you spend brushing your teeth?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eguth

pfm Member
Consider: toothpaste, mouthwash, interdens, floss, diet, cavities, root canals, x rays, chewing, rinsing, dry mouth, saliva, booze, sweets, pastry, white flour, kissing, animals, tiger nuts, sugar, oil pulling, abstinence- and more- including grinding poverty...and...yes...I almost forgot...I did neglect to mention tongue brushing.

I have a dental implant and, as a Yorkshireman, I resent its cost hourly so: I water-floss after every meal at home; carry line floss for meals taken away from home; daily Cordodyl; and, the fixed routine of timed electric brushing with Sensodyne R&P.

A work colleague’s father never brushed his teeth and as a result he developed a brain infection from dental bacteria crossing the blood-brain barrier, which sent him delirious, psychotic, put him in a coma, and then killed him in his early 40s. The same bacteria also damages the heart and other parts of the body and is a factor in general cognitive decline with age.

I perform oral hygiene care at least 3 times a day, Usually 3 minutes plus.

Flossing, tongue cleaning and gargling add extra time to the process.

I also try and drink water after tea or coffee and after a meal.

Oral hygiene care is something I take care over, and when I was Nursing it was a skilled personal task to undertake for someone who was unable to care for their own oral hygiene.
Unfortunately, many Nurses and auxiliary staff don’t spend enough time on the process with patients and it is neglected.

When I was coming out of a coma and receiving intensive care I clearly remember how disgusting the state of my mouth was in. I had a tracheostomy and was fed via nasogastric tube at the time, but mouth-care was lax.

I have a dental implant and, as a Yorkshireman, I resent its cost hourly so: I water-floss after every meal at home; carry line floss for meals taken away from home; daily Cordodyl; and, the fixed routine of timed electric brushing with Sensodyne R&P.
Sounds sensible, AND A GOOD ROUTINE. I do much the same, with the additional interdens after every meal...this removes the larger bits quickly.

I perform oral hygiene care at least 3 times a day, Usually 3 minutes plus.

Flossing, tongue cleaning and gargling add extra time to the process.

I also try and drink water after tea or coffee and after a meal.

Oral hygiene care is something I take care over, and when I was Nursing it was a skilled personal task to undertake for someone who was unable to care for their own oral hygiene.
Unfortunately, many Nurses and auxiliary staff don’t spend enough time on the process with patients and it is neglected.

When I was coming out of a coma and receiving intensive care I clearly remember how disgusting the state of my mouth was in. I had a tracheostomy and was fed via nasogastric tube at the time, but mouth-care was lax.
Seems a good routine for you. I have an acquaintence suffering an abscese- now cured with antibiotics- but much as I stress the necessity for a reform in the oral hygiene, this person does not practice it. I am up against a brick wall. This person stubbornly refuses to ignore the long- term risks. My own history was many cavities for about the first half century, but for about the past 35 years I have not needed a single filling. I put this down to the start of using mouthwash. My excellent dentist, whilst not vocally agreeing with my endorsement of mouthwash, tells me that my mouth (teeth, gums) are in very good shape. I hope to say something about my oral hygiene experiments later in this thread, if there seems to be enough interest in doing so.

A work colleague’s father never brushed his teeth and as a result he developed a brain infection from dental bacteria crossing the blood-brain barrier, which sent him delirious, psychotic, put him in a coma, and then killed him in his early 40s. The same bacteria also damages the heart and other parts of the body and is a factor in general cognitive decline with age.
Very useful post. I am glad that you posted it. I do hope that many others will give evidence re some of the risks involved in neglecting general health by neglecting oral hygiene. There is much recent research in this area.

never put water on my loaded toothbrush, spit out once only. often brush completely around gums, tongue over and under, in fact everywhere in the mouth i can reach without retching.
wish my parents/dentist had taught me this as my teeth are in a poor condition, i have a plate and several gaps. as soon as i started tyhye above regime, last 5 years or so, i have no need to visit a dentist with toothache.

In my earlier reply I assumed that 'corDODYL (your spelling) (my caps at the end) was another product in the range. As far as I can see, you refer to corSOdyl. Suggest you ask your dentist whether it is safe to use this long- term. Also whether it is better to use the alcohol-free (original) version.

never put water on my loaded toothbrush, spit out once only. often brush completely around gums, tongue over and under, in fact everywhere in the mouth i can reach without retching.
wish my parents/dentist had taught me this as my teeth are in a poor condition, i have a plate and several gaps. as soon as i started tyhye above regime, last 5 years or so, i have no need to visit a dentist with toothache.
It seems difficult (but not impossible) to avoid flouride in toothpaste and mouthwash these days. I keep both flouride and no flouride versions of paste and wash. I note that for flouride products there is usually a warning not to use these more than twice daily, and avoid for children. I shall be saying something more detailed later, if there is some interest.

I suspect this will also align with the growing understanding that gut flora have a significant effect on health and wellbeing (including, perhaps, mental health). We should stop thinking of ourselves as individual creatures, and start thinking of ourselves as an ecosystem.

In my earlier reply I assumed that 'corDODYL (your spelling) (my caps at the end) was another product in the range. As far as I can see, you refer to corSOdyl. Suggest you ask your dentist whether it is safe to use this long- term. Also whether it is better to use the alcohol-free (original) version.

I would not advocate the use of Corsodyl containing chlorhexidine on a daily basis, but it has its uses.

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drugs/chlorhexidine/

Funnily enough, today I have been looking into making up some mouthwash for occasional use with hydrogen peroxide (<6%) diluted solution. Caution is required when using hydrogen peroxide.

This is the mouthwash I use - it is effective and not extortionately priced.

Co-oP Dental Care 6 in 1 advanced mouthwash

https://www.cooppharmacy.coop/produ...-dental-care-6-in-1-advanced-mouthwash-500ml/

I thought you should not use mouthwashes that contains alcohol, dries the gums out I thought, could be wrong here though

As I drink alcohol, always have a dry mouth due to medication I take daily, and always have a glass of water near me - I don’t perceive it as an issue.

I find non-alcohol based mouthwash a bit lacking, but owt’s better than nowt I guess.

I thought you should not use mouthwashes that contains alcohol, dries the gums out I thought, could be wrong here though

I was told that mouthwashes (some/most/all?) interfere with and restrict the natural properties of one's saliva; sounds feasible to me. We have most of a 600 ml of Corsodyl mint mouthwash as recommended by my dentist years ago (contains alcohol). Neither of us liked it and I now notice that it expired Sept. '19. Timely thread this, so can chuck it now !:D

My mouth resembles a dental graveyard, but at 82, I'm surprised I have any teeth left. However, just before the pandemic, my dentist analysed my discomfort as 'sensitivity' to one of the few teeth not root-canaled. Just after this and the Covid start, the pain was more than sensitivity, so both of us (my wife had prob's too) adopted a 3 x a day regimen involving toothpaste with 2 different brushes, rinsing, then strong saline solution with a third brush; all slowly and methodically. Lastly, a full rinse with the salt water.

Plaque, which had always been a problem (said my dentist every time) virtually disappeared, as did tooth pain. Things are getting a trifle desperate now as bits are dropping off both my teeth and the chrome-cobalt plate. Luckily, I think (!) I still have a part-time NHS dentist of 21 years standing. Mouth sores are a continual occurrence from the jagged bits; Oral health, or lack of it, does indeed affect other aspects of general wellbeing.

I have at least 12 brushes (5 different types) on rotation; they do get knackered quickly but are luckily cheap.

Money saving tip: if your dentist says you should use it, just ask her/him to prescribe two bottles of it- preferably the alcohol- free original version. Prescription in hand, take it to your local chemist. You will get 2 x bottles free of charge. I always do.

I'll admit that I NEVER buy anything from Amazon. .. can't stand them.

advertisement

Back