advertisement

Opinions on QED budget speaker cables.

I have tried QED XT25 and didn't get on with it as it was more grainy/harsh than my existing cables (Chord Odyssey) but was no loss as Futureshop have a great 30 day returns policy. I then tried Audioquest Rocket 33 and kept them.

OK, but QED XT25 is £5.95/m, Chord Odyssey is £30/m and Audioquest Rocket 33 is £45/m....

They cannot be compared to each other!

I'm talking about cables of less than £6/m.

Over a short run, less than 2m, 79 strand was indistinguishable from one of the silver "spiral" types of cable from QED (I forget which) when used to connect the centre speaker of a cinema system to its power amp. I suspect that the resistance of both was so low at this length that they had no effect on the frequency response of the speaker (a B&W 805D3).

Never felt the need for anything ‘Better’ than Silver Anniversary between my Nait5si and Emit M10 speakers. Holds its own very well against my ‘Big’ system.
I have found a similar experience with mine.. Work very well in my main kit! Small whinge is difficult to trim..other than that.
I would recommend silver anniversary..

Any experience with QED Original?
I had them years ago until I “upgraded”, not convinced I did though. Good solid cables that don’t highlight any frequency area, no brightly lit mids or highs so end up with the label “musical” rather than “highly revealing, audiophile”. They blend in to the room well too, relatively small cross-section and an easy on the eye colour. They’re surprisingly stiff, not like 79 strand in that regard.

I have tried QED XT25 and didn't get on with it as it was more grainy/harsh than my existing cables (Chord Odyssey) but was no loss as Futureshop have a great 30 day returns policy. I then tried Audioquest Rocket 33 and kept them.

it can sound a bit grainy, I suppose it depends on the system and let’s not forget it’s not expensive. I have wired to some Q Acousics Concept 20 and seems to suit them well.

OK, but QED XT25 is £5.95/m, Chord Odyssey is £30/m and Audioquest Rocket 33 is £45/m....

They cannot be compared to each other!

I'm talking about cables of less than £6/m.

Correction.

It was actually QED Revelation which goes for around 20 quid a metre and Audioquest Rocket 22 at 35 quid. Not very helpful I know. I got my Odysey many moons ago for about £15 a metre.

If your worried about the sound difference between qed original & anniversary your probably already bought into the cables make a difference team.
Silver sounds brighter/smoother, copper sounds more lush laid back, solid cores are less grainy, skin effect, air dielectrics, cotton etc etc.
Best of luck.

I had them years ago until I “upgraded”, not convinced I did though. Good solid cables that don’t highlight any frequency area, no brightly lit mids or highs so end up with the label “musical” rather than “highly revealing, audiophile”. They blend in to the room well too, relatively small cross-section and an easy on the eye colour. They’re surprisingly stiff, not like 79 strand in that regard.

Do Originals sound better than 79s?

Last edited:
QED 79 is excellent cable. I prefer is to the very popular Van Damme blue, which in turn, I preferred to Audioquest SLIP 14/2, VD Hi-fi UPLCOFFOCCCCCC and some old Supra cable.

Many years go I tried one of the QED silver cables and didn't like it. Same effect as my homemade silver plated PTFE stuff - bright!
I tried various physical configurations of the PTFE stuff and they all sounded different, but all were too bright.

advertisement

Back