advertisement

Opinions on QED budget speaker cables.

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Sorry, did you ever compare QED budget speaker cables (less than £6/m), so 79 Strand, Original, Silver Anniversary and XT25?

thank you
Mauro

With B&W 801s and Quad QMP mono blocks, I noticed an improvement with Genesis Silver Spiral (£45pm) over 79 (£2.25 pm) strand.
I changed to Quad 2912 ESLs and McIntosh 275 valve amp, I noticed no difference between Genesis Silver Spiral (£45 pm) and Silver Micro (£4.50 pm).

There was a considerable step up when I changed from 79 strand to Cable Talk (blue covering).

Now on 4mm twin and earth from Pirelli (it goes faster).

I’m not pessimistic at all.
Far from it.

Did I ever say all cables are the same ?
Mine aren’t.

If people want to spends hundreds on cables then it’s up to them.
It’s their money.

I’m not pessimistic at all.
Far from it.

Did I ever say all cables are the same ?
Mine aren’t.

If people want to spends hundreds on cables then it’s up to them.
It’s their money.
Then why bleat about another cable thread? Here we go again? Hardly sounds encouraging does it? The discussion is about QED budget cables..where is this spending hundreds on cables come from?

I only mentioned ‘hundreds on cables’, as it appears many get hooked on the ( almost ) never-ending
cable upgrade path.

By the way, there’s nothing wrong with QED cables.
I own some.

I have the XT25, which I find to be an excellent cable for the money. I also have the reference XT40i, while it’s the better cable overall in my main system, more bass control and detail etc the XT25 doesn’t lose much IMO.
Good value for money cables without breaking the bank.

With B&W 801s and Quad QMP mono blocks, I noticed an improvement with Genesis Silver Spiral (£45pm) over 79 (£2.25 pm) strand.
I changed to Quad 2912 ESLs and McIntosh 275 valve amp, I noticed no difference between Genesis Silver Spiral (£45 pm) and Silver Micro (£4.50 pm).

Please note that I am normally a cable sceptic, so I shared my specific experiences with the above cables.

Always liked QED and they were my cable of choice when I was younger. They were well built and didn’t mess with the sound.That’s all you need. Still have a couple around as back ups. Doesn’t matter what materials or how exotic the cable might be, it’s how the music sounds when it’s plugged in that matters to me.

Never felt the need for anything ‘Better’ than Silver Anniversary between my Nait5si and Emit M10 speakers. Holds its own very well against my ‘Big’ system.

I have tried QED XT25 and didn't get on with it as it was more grainy/harsh than my existing cables (Chord Odyssey) but was no loss as Futureshop have a great 30 day returns policy. I then tried Audioquest Rocket 33 and kept them.

advertisement

Back