advertisement

Opening bottles of Port.

I'm really struggling to get Port corks, with their difficult to grasp tops, out these days.

Is it just me? Is it an age thing?... or are the Health Gods trying to tell me something? :confused:

(How's that for a First World problem)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As others have said the grippy things are your friend. I was given some when I was recovering from a bicycle accident and had multiple injuries, I still use them occasionally today. If they can't cope I fetch the water pump pliers from the garage. They will rip the neck off the bottle, which may not be what you want but it gets you in. A broken cork is easily resolved with a corkscrew.

As others have said the grippy things are your friend. I was given some when I was recovering from a bicycle accident and had multiple injuries, I still use them occasionally today. If they can't cope I fetch the water pump pliers from the garage. They will rip the neck off the bottle, which may not be what you want but it gets you in. A broken cork is easily resolved with a corkscrew.
Even something as simple as a dishcloth or pulling down your shirt/jumper sleeve to help grip the top can often work.

I gussle Port, absolutely love the stuff.

I use the same implement you have shown and yes they are good. However I have snapped 4 corks using this implement and there is a common denominator - Cockburn's Port.

I now never buy the brand.
I went in a tour of the Sandeman Cellars in Porto. They advised that once opened Vintage Port should be drunk within 2 days and late bottled vintage within a week. Music to my ears.

Cheers BB

I went in a tour of the Sandeman Cellars in Porto. They advised that once opened Vintage Port should be drunk within 2 days and late bottled vintage within a week. Music to my ears.

Cheers BB
Yes, in Spain Port is regarded as a wine and should be drunk with 3 days of opening the bottle. They can't believe that the Brits will keep it for months. I tend to kill it of in about a fortnight.

Cheers BB

I only open it when there's two of us to share.

If the cork's weak i use a screw with a wide open middle and make sure it's through most of the cork.

The cheap screws with a solid middle can pull out of the cork if tight.

My aunt was into gadgets and had a CO2 injecting opener; worked well until a stubborn cork suddenly flew out and embedded the thing in the ceiling.

Cheers BB

yes we've toured and tasted at pretty much all the port wine cellars in Porto and they all say the same.

yes we've toured and tasted at pretty much all the port wine cellars in Porto and they all say the same.
Did a particular tour stand out as being better than another? We're planning on going back with friends and don't want to the Sandeman one again.

Cheers BB

Did a particular tour stand out as being better than another? We're planning on going back with friends and don't want to the Sandeman one again.

Cheers BB

Grahams, Offley (although i think that might have closed now), Taylors and Burmester we enjoyed oh and Churchills. i know we went to Sandemans but i have no recollection.

We also had our hotel arrange a trip to the upper Douro to visit some of the port wine vinyards.

advertisement

Back