advertisement

Open-Back versus Closed-Back…

I have just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 700Pro X after using HD600's for the last 10 years or so. I'm really enjoying them and haven't noticed any disadvantages over open backed as yet

How comfortable are the Pro X compared to HD600 and is there any sound leakage at all?
I need a pair of good closed back for when the better half is WFH.

How comfortable are the Pro X compared to HD600 and is there any sound leakage at all?
I need a pair of good closed back for when the better half is WFH.
They are very comfortable, almost HD600 level of comfort, they feel slightly heavier.
No sound leakage at normal listening levels, my wife complains if above that as she claims to be able to hear.
If you are used to 600's, I'd say these are the perfect closed back alternative.

All my previous 'serious' headphones have been open-backs but am now really enjoying a pair of closed-backs (Lirics).

Chord's Rob Watts swears by closed backs and chooses them over open. Currently using Dan Clark Stealth.

What made you choose open or closed back headphones over closed or open back headphones?

Or do you have a different headphones for different situations?

What led you to your decisions?

Personally, I didn’t have a clue that open-backed headphones was a ‘thing’ until recently! It never occurred to me.

Would you recommend Open-Backed headphones for the Closed/Open Curious?

Having tried a few open-backed headphones recently, I would advocate at least trying a pair - the space of the soundstage is different/increased to my ears. Closed-back headphones do seem to have a bass reproduction that adds something, but not necessarily in a positive way?? (I have only used cheaper closed back headphones < £60

Advantages? - Disadvantages?
Had both types from Focal and open back sounds better but of course annoys anyone near you

My very limited experience is that closed back 'phones don't sound as good as open, but mostly I use 'phone when I need isolation, either from outside noise, or so as not to disturb others.

I wonder what others thoughts are regarding IEMs vs closed back - comfort aside - purely from a sound quality POV. ISTM that IEMs offer the ultimate isolation, but I'm not overly impressed with my Sennheiser IE80s for their price (thankfully I got them free with credit card points).

For me its definitely open back all day long, for sound quality, spaciousness etc. however swmbo cannot losten to the whining noise that comes from massively leaking phones..usually openbacked. So if she be around…keep it closed.

I have two open and two closed back. Neither of the open ones sound especially open and one of the closed ones sounds more spacious than either.

Pros and cons to both types.
Open tends to be more spacious and outside your head.
Closed tends to be more focused and dynamically impactful with more powerful bass capability.

The 3rd type is a hybrid, with a smaller open hole in the cup.
Seemingly this should provide a nice compromise solution. But in my experience they tend to have significant midband colourations.

Get all 3 types and just use which one you fancy at the time. :)

Pros and cons to both types.
Open tends to be more spacious and outside your head.
Closed tends to be more focused and dynamically impactful with more powerful bass capability.

The 3rd type is a hybrid, with a smaller open hole in the cup.
Seemingly this should provide a nice compromise solution. But in my experience they tend to have significant midband colourations.

Get all 3 types and just use which one you fancy at the time. :)

i like headphone listening a lot, but it has to be on a budget and usually from a phone....I know, I know...but which cans are best Jerry for this type of listening would you say ? I ask because I know you are primarily classical (as am I) and have tried many different sorts of cans. I am on a budget but don't mind up to 200-ish, but I can't do with extra devices so it has to be straight from the iPhone...

i like headphone listening a lot, but it has to be on a budget and usually from a phone....I know, I know...but which cans are best Jerry for this type of listening would you say ? I ask because I know you are primarily classical (as am I) and have tried many different sorts of cans. I am on a budget but don't mind up to 200-ish, but I can't do with extra devices so it has to be straight from the iPhone...
Classical, straight from a phone. Just the one, not a diverse collection like mine.
I'd say Oppo PM-3. Closed back planar magnetics.
No longer available new, but there are usually very good condition used examples on ebay for £200 or so.

Mine are old and tatty. I've had them for years and they are staying. They are barely recognisable now.... New aftermarket earpads are readily available. Zip up headband covers are great for a fiver or so. Even a tatty pair can be made reasonably smart and very comfortable.
If mine fail, I'm pretty sure I'd just buy another used pair.

I am currently trying it out with
Sennheiser hd600 open back
and Sennheiser pxc450 closed back
both being driven by a PPA v2 headphone amp
and both sound very good :)

advertisement

Back